Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This, then is the one and only definition for sin, refusing the guidance of The Holy Spirit.

That is not the case.

What it does say is that all sin can be forgiven except one and that is blaspheming the Holy Spirit which means to call a work of the Spirit a work of Satan.

Reactions: Wordkeeper
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has been moved to General Theology.
Please note and abide by the Statement of Purpose of this forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is not BLASPHEMY agaisnt the Holy Spirit. When one repents from even decades of refusing our Lord and His salvation, he will be forgiven.

Anyone who commits Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven, no matter how bad they want to repent.

Matthew 12:31
“Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.

Mark 3:29
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”—

Luke 12:10
And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him.
So once you have done that, there is no going back.

Nope. It's not saying that. When you blaspheme against the Holy Spirit
you are rejecting the power and the position of God. You can't reject
and be forgiven both. By rejecting the power of God you cut yourself
off from the ability to accept forgiveness.

This is the sin that leads to death. It's not some glass rule that once broken
condemns you. It's the "process" or "action" of rejecting the Holy Spirit
that eliminates you from the option of being forgiven.

God will always accept you back. But if you continue to reject Him
you are no longer eligible for forgiveness. But if you Honor God
He will forgive.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is not the case.

What it does say is that all sin can be forgiven except one and that is blaspheming the Holy Spirit which means to call a work of the Spirit a work of Satan.

We are both correct. "Blaspheming the Holy Spirit" in scripture referred to people who thought Jesus was under the influence of Satan. They saw the actions of God, and declared it was Satan. That unpardonable sin cannot be duplicated.

• Agree
Reactions: Wordkeeper
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope. It's not saying that. When you blaspheme against the Holy Spirit
you are rejecting the power and the position of God. You can't reject
and be forgiven both. By rejecting the power of God you cut yourself
off from the ability to accept forgiveness.
Re read the text. It is saying exactly that.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Re read the text. It is saying exactly that.

The reason that blaspheme against the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven
is that while rejecting, you are unable to repent.

Any request for forgiveness is granted 7 times 70 times.
But if you are not asking, you cannot receive.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Any request for forgiveness is granted 7 times 70 times.
But if you are not asking, you cannot receive.
Very true.

But even if you try to repent and ask forgiveness of that specific sin, there is no forgiveness.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very true.

But even if you try to repent and ask forgiveness of that specific sin, there is no forgiveness.

No, what the passage is saying is that forgiveness is impossible due to the nature of the sin.
But you can always be forgiven for any sin you repent of.

I realize it says "You can never be forgiven for that sin."
It's not even easy to explain in english.
You cannot reject the Holy Spirit today and be forgiven for that.
You cannot reject the Holy Spirit tomorrow and be forgiven for that.
You cannot reject the Holy Spirit next week and be forgiven for that.
There is no time when you can reject the Holy Spirit and yet be forgiven.
Never.

But you can always accept the Holy Spirit and God will not
even remember that you rejected Him in the past.
Isaiah 43:25
“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.

What Does the Bible Say About Forgiveness Of Sins?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But you can always be forgiven for any sin you repent of.
That violates the plain meaning of our Lord's statement.

Mark 3.22 The scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “He casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons.” 23 And He called them to Himself and began speaking to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 If Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but he is finished! 27 But no one can enter the strong man’s house and plunder his property unless he first binds the strong man, and then he will plunder his house.
28 “Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30 because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”​

Plain meaning: they were saying our Lord was casting out demons by demons.

If you TODAY say a true miracle of God is being done by the devil, you are committing this sin; and even if you realize your error tomorrow and try to repent, you cannot do it. You will never have forgiveness.

Hebrews 12:15 See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled; 16 that there be no immoral or godless person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal. 17 For you know that even afterwards, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought for it with tears.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That violates the plain meaning of our Lord's statement.

These all violate your understanding?

Isaiah 43:25
“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Acts 10:43
To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

1 John 1:8-10
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Acts 2:38
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 10:9
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These all violate your understanding?
Those apply to EVERY sin except that one.

Matthew 12:31
“Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
Plain meaning. It is an exception.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We are both correct. "Blaspheming the Holy Spirit" in scripture referred to people who thought Jesus was under the influence of Satan. They saw the actions of God, and declared it was Satan. That unpardonable sin cannot be duplicated.
That is what I have just said.

Upvote 0

colton1919

Nov 12, 2017
New Hampshire
✟15,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I fear i have done this sin because i kind of purposely thought this sin. Does this count?​
Hi KyWy, I've been looking at some of your posts and I've struggled with some of the SAME EXACT things as you clearly do since I was like 8. I'd like to one-on-one talk about this with you. Could you text me at 603 682 3425 ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
LK.12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

Lk12:10 says it will not be forgiven/pardoned, just like Isa.22:14 below, though Isa.22 puts a limit to it, i.e. till death.

Isa 22:14 But the LORD of hosts revealed Himself to me, "Surely this iniquity shall not be forgiven [purged/atoned] you Until you die," says the Lord GOD of hosts.

Lk 12:10, OTOH, unlike Isa.22:14, does not state the length of time the person will not pardoned/forgiven/let off, whether it is till death, forever, or for this age & the next, etc. We have to look to other Scriptures to determine that, such as the parallel passages (Mk.3:28-29 and Matthew 12:31-32) which limit the penalty for this sin to two ages, "this" age & the coming age:

28 Verily, I am saying to you that all shall be pardoned the sons of mankind, the penalties of the sins and the blasphemies, whatsoever they should be blaspheming, 29 yet whoever should be blaspheming against the holy spirit is having no pardon for the eon, but is liable to the eonian penalty for the sin-" 30 for they said, "An unclean spirit has he." (Mark 3, CLV)

31 Therefore I am saying to you, Every sin and blasphemy shall be pardoned men, yet the blasphemy of the spirit shall not be pardoned."
32 And whosoever may be saying a word against the Son of Mankind, it will be pardoned him, yet whoever may be saying aught against the holy spirit, it shall not be pardoned him, neither in this eon nor in that which is impending. (Mt.12:31-32, CLV)

Since there are Scriptures speaking of multiple future ages to come (Eph.2:7; Rev.11:15, etc), there is the possibility that this sin against the Holy Spirit may be pardoned after the coming age.

Upvote 0

Jpocd

Oct 10, 2018
Calgary
✟15,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I fear i have done this sin because i kind of purposely thought this sin. Does this count?​
Hey man, I have ocd as well in so many of the ways you've talked about in your posts. I'm praying for you and am willing to talk if you want. I sentyou "blessings" with a private message. Goo bless man. There is hope!!

Upvote 0

Jpocd

Oct 10, 2018
Calgary
✟15,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey man, I have ocd as well in so many of the ways you've talked about in your posts. I'm praying for you and am willing to talk if you want. I sentyou "blessings" with a private message. Goo bless man. There is hope!!
God bless*

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A side not on this thread.

Sin is what people will be judged on. Sin was not removed by the cross for non-believers. Sin is still an issue for believers to work with the Lord to work through its implications and problems.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is a precise degree of lostness.
When God has shown everything He can to you, and even done miraculous works of healing through the power of the Holy Spirit, if you still call this healing the work of satan, you will not be forgiven. It is a warning that there is a point of lostness from which there is no recovery, and some pharisees reached this when confronting Jesus.

Some false teachers have twisted everything round to say sin is resolved by Christ for the world so judgement is based only on the unforgivable sin, which is now not having faith in Jesus. I would say if you want to invent your own faith, go ahead, but this is not biblical.

Believers still sinned and were rebuked for their sin, for instance in Corinth and some repented and were restored to fellowship. If people want to claim they can walk in sin and believing makes it ok, it is their funeral before the Lord on judgement day.

The only people who go down this road and not listening to Jesus, and continually say Jesus's words were not for them. Ironic, because that means they are not His sheep, not protected, do not have eternal life and will perish.

So if you actually care about what your Lord thinks of you, listen to Him and follow Him, or alternatively wait until you hear it first hand when it is all too late. God bless, may the Lords wisdom and love break forward into you hearts and lead you into His grace and forgiveness, Amen

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0