Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have some thoughts on that. But what do you make of the unanswered question? (Who told you that you were naked?)

Devil Talkin'

Adam told himself ... but the workings or process of this, is the process found in the soul.

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m curious about this comment. John the Baptist described Jesus as the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, but later “upon being jailed” he doesn’t question the content of that “takes away the sin of the world” claim, rather John questions whether or not he’s found the right man in Jesus.

John “questions what he has said” only insofar that he fears there’s been a case of mistaken identity. Jesus right away appeals to His healings and other miracles to say I’m the man. Maybe it’s just crossed wires on my part.

Your right I should have been more concise ...

• Friendly
Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Strictly speaking there is no singular, definitive, orthodox position on Hell.

That aside, yes my own mind has changed many times. I was about 18 when I first received a meaningful challenge to things I had believed, and it, coupled with some other factors, are what led me down a road of a lot of studying. It's how I ultimately ended up a Lutheran. But for many years, most of my 20's I'd say, I was without anything resembling a church home. I often refer to it as my wandering in the wilderness phrase.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Recently I read a book titled All you want to know about Hell, it explained 3 famous historic perspectives on the nature, duration and purpose of hellfire.

The three viewpoints were that the fires of hell torment (traditional hell,) the fires consume (annihilationism,) and lastly that the fires refine (universalism.)

Long story short (although the author argued well in favour of each and every perspective) I ended up changing my mind on the topic of hell.

Growing up in a non Christian household I’ve made spiritual changes before, but those changes were always in the general direction of a widely agreed upon Christian orthodoxy.

Changing my mind in the past and accepting the deity of Christ, salvation by grace or the inerrancy of the Bible were big decisions to me personally, but in the grand scheme of things those choices are still rubber stamped by billions of people worldwide (unlike holding to what feels like a novel perspective on hell.)

So, like the short story above, my question is have you ever changed your mind on the subject of faith, morals and worldview to go in an unexpected new direction?

To answer your question- yes. I grew up Reformed, Methodist, non-denom, and Baptist (not all at the same time- my parents moved a few times) and I became Eastern Orthodox later in life. Our whole life is about changing beliefs as we seek God and try to draw closer to Him. Some things we can be sure of and hold confidently, but other beliefs develop in us as we learn and grow.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To answer your question- yes. I grew up Reformed, Methodist, non-denom, and Baptist (not all at the same time- my parents moved a few times) and I became Eastern Orthodox later in life.
what are the differences between the Greek Orthodox and the EO ?

or are they the same ?

Reactions: WanderedHome
Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
what are the differences between the Greek Orthodox and the EO ?

or are they the same ?

Greek is EO. The EO is made up of churches from various cultures (Russian, Greek, Serbian, etc.) but it is all the same faith and same theology. However, don't confuse Eastern rite (byzantine) Catholics with the EO. They have nearly identical worship services, but they are under the Pope of Rome. The EO has no Pope.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greek is EO. The EO is made up of churches from various cultures (Russian, Greek, Serbian, etc.) but it is all the same faith and same theology. However, don't confuse Eastern rite (byzantine) Catholics with the EO. They have nearly identical worship services, but they are under the Pope of Rome. The EO has no Pope.
my dad was a Greek Orthodox but not a practicing one. he spoke the language and his parents has a pre arranged marriage in Greece. they were all heathens unfortunately and they never passed down the language to their children. I grew up with aunt's uncle's ala the big fat greek wedding lol.

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
my dad was a Greek Orthodox but not a practicing one. he spoke the language and his parents has a pre arranged marriage in Greece. they were all heathens unfortunately and they never passed down the language to their children. I grew up with aunt's uncle's ala the big fat greek wedding lol.

Unfortunately, there are people in every denomination (even where I grew up) and religion who do not take their faith to heart, but simply go through the motions and busy themselves with activity. Pray for your family, God is working on them. Maybe it will help, along with the seed planted at their baptism/childhood, draw them back. There is something beautiful and redeeming about that type of family culture! :)

I have to go, but if you have anything else to add, I will check in later.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Prove it. :tearsofjoy:

Oh the irony. See my points and my reading of @alllivesmatter’s message land her smack dab in the middle of Christian orthodoxy. Mine is the most accurate, commonsensical and generous reading of her message. That’s the steel man approach to conversation, where you make the position of the person you’re reading from as strong as possible.

You have straw manned her message to force her outside of the boundaries of Christian orthodoxy, attempting to drive her away from beliefs like saved by grace. Your reading (unlike mine) is the most inaccurate, nonsensical and petty reading of her message.

Come on, gong. You can do better than this!
Come you two, tsk tsk tsk.
Which comes first the chicken or the egg?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I changed my mind. I was an atheist for several years...and then God began to make things happen in my life. Like, an invitation to an evolution-creation debate, being a captive audience to a fellow who talked about the Bible and my father praying for me and then, finally, getting his own life in order. Then things began to happen.

More recently, having been brought up a Baptist, and later, having been a member of the Seventh-Day Adventist church, I had exposure to damnationism and annihilationism. Later, I encountered universalism, and did a very long study into the KJV to see which theological theory best fit the evidence of the text. Before I reached the Revelation, I was a convinced universalist.

• Agree
Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Deciding that decision making is like Russian roulette is a decision you’ve made. The gun only goes off in your face when you try to reason that reasoning is bad, that’s the loaded chamber.

Christians don’t make decisions arbitrarily, they make decisions based upon principles. Like principles you’ll find in Gods word. If a person thinks that choices are like a random game of death, that only tells me that their choices are not informed by principles.
I forgot you don't like personal opinions. Only facts. I am sure forums welcome both.

Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I forgot you don't like personal opinions. Only facts. I am sure forums welcome both.

It all depends what we base our opinions on I suppose. :) We can base them on good things and bad, on principles or prejudice, on wit or whims. There are probably many more ways for us to get it wrong than for us to get it right. That’s why we have a community to catch us in areas where we lack, to keeps us humble (and sane.)

Upvote 0