Even NEW computers can be infected with malware!

cweinstein

Jun 4, 2011
Texas
✟15,801.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't be anxious about the malware problem. I just think it pays these days to scan even new computers with at least two programs.

As for where to get a machine, it depends on what you're looking for. For a new laptop, I would subscribe to NewEgg's email list and find a bargain there. The last new laptop I got I bought that way, and it was a great deal on a Lenovo.

Towers can be homebuilt or off the shelf. I'm not sure what the advantage of home built is unless you're into maximum performance.

I've also gotten a lot of very good deals on used machines, both towers and laptops, on ebay and craigslist. But knowing how to repair them is often a prerequisite to successfully using this channel.

Yes it is a good idea to scan new machines, especially if the computer was previously used, even by someone you know. You can scan with 2 programs but make sure only 1 is running all the time.
Having more than 1 anti virus program installed and running all the time causes problems. 2 anti virus programs running simultanously can conflict with each other, and slow down the computer a lot, etc

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i mean for more practical purposes like not being loaded with malware before they're eve3n sold...is FPS a game?

Windows & Linux & Apple's OS are all tools.
They're good for what they're targeted for.

As for being loaded with Malware, no Windows system I've ever bought was loaded with malware.

Linux Wouldn't work for at my Job for the desktop computers due to Software that we have doesn't have Linux versions.
Linux Does work at my job for the Web / Database / DNS Server that we run.

What you want to do with the computer will help decide what OS is best for you to use.

And Yes FPS is a Game, but Most Newest Games will not run on Linux, some Gaming companies are starting to put out Linux versions, and older games have been ported to work with Linux, or ran via Whine (A Windows Emulator)

You also have the option of dualbooting your system, and keeping multiple OSs so you can have the best of both worlds. Windows when you need / want to use applications that are designed for Windows, Linux for when you need / want to use applications that are designed for Linux.

The Question "What OS is Best?" doesn't have enough data, you need to ask more along the lines of "What OS is best for Running XYZ?"

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i just want to be sure i'm not buying a computer that has malware preloaded on it. I was asking if Linux is more trustworthy in that regard?

No, a Reputable Vendor is more trustworthy. Any unscrupulous vendor can supply a Linux box that also has spyware / mailware.

If you're truly worried about Malware, Buy your system, Wipe the Hard drive, and do a clean install of what ever OS you're going to use.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iandelano

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
✟7,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Malwares and viruses are also evolving, I only find them nuisance and distractions. One operating system I know that is somehow cannot be easily attacked by virus and malware is the Linux systems, but Macintosh and Windows are very popular, what we can do is just secure our computer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Perhaps Today

A Light In The Black
Sep 18, 2009
Michigan
✟15,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Might be difficult. Installing Linux is actually pretty easy, even for beginners. You might look at Linux Mint. The installer walks you through it. You can even install it alongside Windows and use both.

^ This :thumbsup:

Also another good version of Linux that's very user friendly is Zorin OS. It looks similar to Windows 7 by default, though you can customize its look if you choose.

Zorin OS - Home

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Also another good version of Linux that's very user friendly is Zorin OS. It looks similar to Windows 7 by default, though you can customize its look if you choose.

Zorin OS - Home

Looks very nice. Reminds me of PCLinux. But this is strange:

Disclaimer: Zorin OS includes some software (e.g. media codecs etc.) for countries whose legislation doesn't allow software patents to be enforced. It is your responsibility to know your own country's legislation. If you live in a country where the legislation recognizes software patents we ask you not to download this software.

Upvote 0