Veteran
Oct 26, 2004
Cornwall, United Kingdom
✟16,959.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The only European music in my collection, other than British/Eire, is Sigur Ros, Bjork and Royksopp (all Scandinavian). Most of the music I listen to or am aware of is either British/Eire, Canadian or American. I imagine alot of this though is based on the language. I think culturally the UK/Eire has more in common with North America and Australia/NZ than the rest of Europe.

Upvote 0

soda

life's the adventure - got one yourself
Feb 7, 2005
✟13,378.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
there really is a swiss music scene! it's small, but it's there.

I like the fact that you hear music in diverse languages (mainly english, german, french, italian, spanish) on our radios. but for most of our native bands/musicians it's hard to gain foothold in other european countries.

of course most of todays music is kinda pop or wanna-be-rock, but still hearable. traditional swiss music ... hm, I guess that's something you hear on traditional festivals or on radio stations for older people.....

I'm into christian contemporary music. I order CD on amazon, because it's really hard to find in stores around here. that's why I mostly listen to american or in general english speaking music and not common swiss radio stations.

Upvote 0

soda

life's the adventure - got one yourself
Feb 7, 2005
✟13,378.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I think culturally the UK/Eire has more in common with North America and Australia/NZ than the rest of Europe.

wouldn't say that. history is VERY important to a country, and UK/Eire has a different and own history. but I agree that it's more like an island history... still different from the mainland...

...but this has not much to do with music anymore... culture used to affect music much more, but since globalisation is so global the own culture does affect music much less than it used to.

(haha... I just like my last sentence... but I'll leave it that way)

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
I'm an old raver. Gave up on commercial mainstream music about ten years ago. I can never name any songs on the radio. But can name obscure dj's that nobody else has heard of.

A whole generation of people just dropped out of mainstream culture here in order to dance a lot and grin at each other like maniacs.

There's a vibrant folk music scene in the small town I live in, UK and Eire folk mixed with a lot of American bluegrass and stuff like that. Very bizarre for such a small place.

Upvote 0

tamtam92

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't listen much to french music. But there are a lot of different styles. Only i think our language isn't not adapted to rock (the only one who is good at it would be Johnny Halliday...). I'd rather listen to american music.

I listen to classical music a lot, and we can say this is european music. Chopin was a Pole living in France, Mendelssohn was german and travelled to France and England among others , etc. etc. and Beethoven gave us our anthem.

Reactions: soda
Upvote 0

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
Well you just have to play the French music. I don't know what happens if you don't.

I'd say we have a lot of MTV style music that was adapted to french, like french hip hop.

I find though that things are really diverse here. As Tam Tam says. I hear young people putting on old "Chanson Française", as well as people listening to all sorts of ambiguous rock bands, jazz bands...

The people who only listen to MTV are fairly marginal, maybe teenagers... I don't know.

Upvote 0
The only European music in my collection, other than British/Eire, is Sigur Ros, Bjork and Royksopp (all Scandinavian). Most of the music I listen to or am aware of is either British/Eire, Canadian or American. I imagine alot of this though is based on the language. I think culturally the UK/Eire has more in common with North America and Australia/NZ than the rest of Europe.
I'd bet you are listening to more swedish music than you know... Swedish music artists sing mainly in english and are doing really good on the international "music market".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
There's plenty of Dutch bands, but I don't really like most of them. I like Blof, but that's about it.

Further down south, I really like Sara Bettens (with or without K's Choice) and Gabriel Rios.

I don't listen much to french music. But there are a lot of different styles. Only i think our language isn't not adapted to rock (the only one who is good at it would be Johnny Halliday...)

I don't know about that. I love Noir Desir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJXzsAyu5QU

Love the video, too.

Upvote 0

schwarzes_schaf

think for yourself
Mar 21, 2004
Earth
✟91,951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
there are many german bands and they are successful here. some of them are also known outside of germany. dunno if you guys have heard of tokio hotel :sick:. i heard the french teenagers love them ^_^ i don't understand this but ok. maybe i'm to old. ;)
you can find any kind of music here. rock, pop, punk, hip hop and so on.

for me i don't listen to german music that much.

i'm into metal. esp. power (european) and symphonic. we have great metal bands here in germany btw :ebil:

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
there are many german bands and they are successful here. some of them are also known outside of germany. dunno if you guys have heard of tokio hotel :sick:.
Argh, I've heard of them. Not a fan!
i'm into metal. esp. power (european) and symphonic. we have great metal bands here in germany btw :ebil:
Yes, you do! :ebil:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.