Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just received a Catholic magazine in the mail today that talks about the Eucharist and to some degree, Eucharistic Miracles. As a LCMS convert I must admit that the miracles make me question my choice in converting. The article mentions the miracles of Sokolka, Poland; Lanciano, Italy; as well as others. There are probably hundreds of them with many changing to human blood and or human heart tissue.
If Lutheranism is right then what are these miracles? And why doesn’t this happen in a Lutheran church?

Last edited:

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just received a Catholic magazine in the mail today that talks about the Eucharist and to some degree, Eucharistic Miracles. As a LCMS convert I must admit that the miracles make me question my choice in converting. The article mentions the miracles of Sokolka, Poland; Lanciano, Italy; as well as others. There are probably hundreds of them with many changing to human blood and or human heart tissue.
If Lutheranism is right then what are these miracles? And why doesn’t this happen in a Lutheran church?

Why would God do this? To me it seems many of these 'miracles' represent a misunderstanding of God's nature, miracles, and the purpose of the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why would God do this? To me it seems many of these 'miracles' represent a misunderstanding of God's nature, miracles, and the purpose of the Eucharist.
Well, I understand your skepticism but some of these were investigated by reputable labs and were found to be human blood and cardiac tissue.
Why? I don’t know.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I understand your skepticism but some of these were investigated by reputable labs and were found to be human blood and cardiac tissue.

Mmm. If we wanted to be good investigators, I'd ask you for a citation. We could then call the lab that supposedly did the analysis to see if they would confirm. I'm not sure why a reputable lab would agree to test something like this. Someone would need to pay for it, certify the specimen, etc. etc.

Further, since such a miracle would be unexpected, from the moment it occurred until a technician arrived on the scene to sequester the sample, all kinds of cooks could spoil the soup.

Why? I don’t know.

Of course unnatural things can happen, so it's not that it occurred that I'm necessarily disputing. But if it did occur, it seems just as likely to be caused by a mischievous imp as by God.

If you look at the miracles of the Bible, they follow similar strictures as those given by Paul regarding speaking in tongues (1 Corinthians 14). IOW, they specifically point toward Christ, and there is someone there to interpret the miracle. It doesn't just happen in a vacuum and leave everyone bewildered. It doesn't make sense to me that the Eucharist, which is already a miracle and already points to Christ, would need another miracle on top to point to Christ ... and then leave such miracle unexplained.

Also, it's a bit too on the nose.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Amazing Science of Recent Eucharistic Miracles: A Message from Heaven?

Jeannette Williams

This article was originally published April 13, 2020. It has been updated to reflect more recent research.

The Vatican International Exhibition: The Eucharistic Miracles of the World catalogs the 100+ purported Eucharistic miracles that have been recorded and venerated since the earliest days of the Church to the present. The exhibit tours the world, drawing attention to the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

When we think about Eucharistic miracles, we may be tempted to think that most of them are unsubstantiated stories that only happened in the “old days” and couldn’t happen today in our age of science.

The last few decades, however, have seen a surge in Eucharistic miracles, which cannot be explained by science. And in most of these recent miracles, the Eucharist turns into human flesh and blood.

The consistency among the scientific results is startling. Let’s begin with the oldest-known verifiable case of the Eucharist transforming into physical flesh and blood—the Miracle of Lanciano, which took place in 750AD and underwent testing in the 1970s. The facts of this case are stunning.

The Most Remarkable Miracle of the Middle Ages
In 750AD, a priest experienced a terrible temptation to doubt the True Presence while He was saying Mass. As he pronounced the words of consecration, the host and the wine transformed into what appeared to be flesh and blood.

In 1970, more than 1,200 years later, the archbishop of Lanciano, with Rome’s approval, requested a thorough scientific examination of the miraculous relics by Dr. Edward Linoli, director of the hospital at Arezzo and professor of anatomy, histology, chemistry, and clinical microscopy. His report, submitted on March 4, 1971, detailed the following results:

• The coagulated substance is human blood, AB blood type, with the same protein distribution as found in normal, fresh blood
  • The host is human muscular striated tissue of the myocardium, left ventricle (heart); arteries, veins, branch of vagus nerve, and adipose tissue all can be identified
  • Like the blood, the flesh is also fresh, living tissue, because it “responded rapidly to all the clinical reactions distinctive of living beings” as if the flesh and blood samples had been taken that day
  • Histological tests revealed no sign of preservation techniques of any kind
The Miracles in the Age of Science
Until the 1990s, Lanciano was the only proven case of the Eucharist turning into human flesh. Other cases have not been tested with modern scientific equipment, nor have the many dozens of bloodstains on corporals and chalices that have been preserved and are venerated as having come from bleeding hosts. But in 1992, the miracles started happening again.

1992 and 1996, Buenos Aires, Argentina: In 1992, consecrated particles left on the corporal were put into water to dissolve and locked in the tabernacle, as the Church prescribes for disposing of consecrated hosts. One week later, they had changed into a red substance. Then again in 1996 after a consecrated host fell to the ground and was also put in water to dissolve, it was found a few days later to have turned into a bloody substance. Both cases were sent to be tested by the archbishop of Buenos Aires, who was none other than our future Pope Francis.

2006, Tixtla, Mexico: During a retreat, a religious sister who was distributing Communion looked down and noticed that one of the Hosts had begun to bleed and transform.

2008, Sokolka, Poland: A consecrated Host fell to the ground during Communion and was put in water and locked in a tabernacle to dissolve. A week later, most of the Host was dissolved except for a red “clot” that remained.

2013, Legnica, Poland: A consecrated Host fell and was put in water and locked in a tabernacle. Two weeks later a red spot covered one-fifth of the undissolved Host.

Startling Scientific Results
Each of these occurrences received intensive study with highly advanced technology. In several cases, doctors did not know the source of the material. And yet, in all the cases, the same results were found, and are consistent with the results of Lanciano, providing even more details due to more advanced science:

• The blood is human, AB blood type; human DNA was found; white blood cells, red blood cells, hemoglobin, and mycrophages were present, indicating fresh blood; in the Tixtla miracle, the blood clearly emanated from within, because the blood on the surface had begun to coagulate but the interior blood was still fresh, as with a bleeding wound
  • The flesh is human myocardium tissue of the left ventricle of an inflamed heart; in the miracles from Argentina and Poland, there was evidence of trauma from the presence of thrombi, indicating repeated lack of oxygen; lesions present showed rapid cardiac spasms typical in the final phases of death
  • In the Sokolka miracle, the remaining host is tightly interconnected with the fibers of human tissue, penetrating each other inseparably – as if the bread were transforming into flesh. “Even NASA scientists, who have at their disposal the most modern analytical techniques, would not be able to artificially recreate such a thing,” affirmed Dr. Sobaniec-Lotowska, one of the examining experts.
Dr. Frederick Zugibe, a forensic doctor at Columbia University who examined the Argentinian miracle, did not know the source of the sample and told the doctor who brought it to him, “If white blood cells were present (in the heart tissue), it is because at the moment you brought me the sample, it was pulsating.” When he learned the source of the sample, he was shocked and deeply moved.

Why?
Why has the Lord suddenly multiplied Eucharistic miracles in the last few decades? Are we, like Doubting Thomas, refusing to believe unless we see, touch, and feel for ourselves? Jesus in his love for Thomas condescended to let him see, touch, and feel his wounds in order to believe. Perhaps he is now doing the same for us.

So many young people have rejected religion as “unscientific.” So here’s the science to prove our faith. Others say they don’t believe in religion because it’s just opinion or contrary to “reason.” Here’s quantifiable, measurable, physical evidence.

But more is going on here. The Church teaches:

“in the most blessed sacrament of the Eucharist ‘the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained.’

CCC 1374
Scripturally, we see this in John 6:48-58 and 1 Corinthians 10:16 and 11:27. Yet the Eucharist is transforming into human heart only.

It’s as if Jesus, by transforming into a human heart, is crying out to us, “I’m here! I love you! My heart yearns for you! Was not my crucifixion enough to prove my love for you? See, then, and believe. I have remained hidden in the Eucharist for these two thousand years that I may remain close to you. Please, approach me. Receive me. Quench my thirst for your love.”

How Shall We Respond to This Plea from Heaven?
If our Lord has condescended to make himself so evident to us in order to be heard above the noise of our modern world, gratitude alone should impel us to respond. In the words of St. Gemma Galgani:

“Let us go to Jesus. He is all alone and hardly anyone thinks of him. Poor Jesus.”

Go to confession. Receive him in Communion. Spend time in Adoration. Learn more about the Mass and the Eucharist so that you may appreciate him more. On the Cross, Jesus cried out, “I thirst.” As many saints have told us, it was not water he was thirsting for—it was you. Quench his thirst.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mmm. If we wanted to be good investigators, I'd ask you for a citation. We could then call the lab that supposedly did the analysis to see if they would confirm. I'm not sure why a reputable lab would agree to test something like this. Someone would need to pay for it, certify the specimen, etc. etc.

Further, since such a miracle would be unexpected, from the moment it occurred until a technician arrived on the scene to sequester the sample, all kinds of cooks could spoil the soup.

Of course unnatural things can happen, so it's not that it occurred that I'm necessarily disputing. But if it did occur, it seems just as likely to be caused by a mischievous imp as by God.

If you look at the miracles of the Bible, they follow similar strictures as those given by Paul regarding speaking in tongues (1 Corinthians 14). IOW, they specifically point toward Christ, and there is someone there to interpret the miracle. It doesn't just happen in a vacuum and leave everyone bewildered. It doesn't make sense to me that the Eucharist, which is already a miracle and already points to Christ, would need another miracle on top to point to Christ ... and then leave such miracle unexplained.

Also, it's a bit too on the nose.

In some of the investigations the labs didn’t know that it was the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In some of the investigations the labs didn’t know that it was the Eucharist.

Uh. So you're managing a lab - this is you livelihood. Reputation is important. You don't want to lose your license or go to jail. Someone (not the police) brings you human remains, wants them tested, and won't tell you where they came from ... Just sayin'

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Uh. So you're managing a lab - this is you livelihood. Reputation is important. You don't want to lose your license or go to jail. Someone (not the police) brings you human remains, wants them tested, and won't tell you where they came from ... Just sayin'
Hmmmm….

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I came across as a real doubter here, and that makes me feel bad. I don't want to be constantly raining on everyone's parade.

I've experienced some real miracles in my life - some crazy stuff that came at crucial moments. I do believe in miracles - Biblical changing water into wine miracles. Just maybe not these bleeding heart miracles, but don't stop believin'.

Upvote 0

TKA_TN

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Eucharistic miracles really make you pause and think. One piece I just read made an interesting point. Most of these miracles have happened when a priest was doubting the real presence or it happened to someone who stole a consecrated host. Maybe what happened was meant only as a warning to the people involved?

Every time I read about miracles, while I don’t necessarily believe or not believe them, I am always drawn back to the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man. The rich man begs Abraham to send Lazarus to his brothers so they’ll believe. Abraham responds and says they have Moses and the prophets and if they don’t believe them, then they wouldn’t believe if someone were to rise from the dead.

We believe because we have faith and believe what the Word says about Jesus.

(Side note, anyone ever read that parable and think it might not just be a parable but something that actually happened?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Miracles do happen. Some years back I had a serious lung infection, I was on broad spectrum antibiotics IV, my blood oxygen level was getting lower by the day, and i had been placed in palliative care. My wife called Pastor and he gave me the last rights and administered the Viaticum. Within an hour I started getting better; within a week I was allowed to go home, but I had 6 weeks of IV antibiotics ahead of me. A week later I went for a check-up and another lung xray, and the Drs sent me for a second, as there was no trace of an infection. They canceled the antibiotics, and I was able to return to work a week later.

viaticum
(vaɪˈætɪkəm)
n, pl -ca (-kə) or -cums
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity Holy Communion as administered to a person dying or in danger of death

This is my miracle from the Eucharist administered by an LCC Pastor (from the LCMS).

It is what it is; be careful what you might call a Miracle, always being mindful that the devil is the father of lies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Laciano is truly incredible and miraculous. If more knew about it, it would convert many.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Miracles do happen. Some years back I had a serious lung infection, I was on broad spectrum antibiotics IV, my blood oxygen level was getting lower by the day, and i had been placed in palliative care. My wife called Pastor and he gave me the last rights and administered the Viaticum. Within an hour I started getting better; within a week I was allowed to go home, but I had 6 weeks of IV antibiotics ahead of me. A week later I went for a check-up and another lung xray, and the Drs sent me for a second, as there was no trace of an infection. They canceled the antibiotics, and I was able to return to work a week later.

viaticum
(vaɪˈætɪkəm)
n, pl -ca (-kə) or -cums
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity Holy Communion as administered to a person dying or in danger of death

This is my miracle from the Eucharist administered by an LCC Pastor (from the LCMS).

It is what it is; be careful what you might call a Miracle, always being mindful that the devil is the father of lies.
Glory to God!

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

viaticum
(vaɪˈætɪkəm)
n, pl -ca (-kə) or -cums

Glory be to God! That is a true miracle, and corresponds with my own experiences with the Eucharist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m not Lutheran, so I will not offer a theological opinion. But as someone who has read most of what is out there on Eucharistic miracles. I’m just making a suggestion of reading for those wanting more information:
And what they will find if they do read them.

Read books either
“ a cardiologist examines Jesus” serafini, or
“ unseen” or “ my human heart “ by tesoriero.
They deal with all of the miracles.
Serafini deals better with topics like MtDNA.

A précis of each is available on therealpresence.org

What I can say is
1/ several of these so called miracles have been given the “ full treatment” by reputable forensic laboratories. Their day job is criminality.
That’s Buenos airies, tixtla , sokolka , legnica .

2/ all the teams were independent , on different continents, so certainly no conferring, or common agent.

3/ the common threads are
A - human blood, and human heart myocardium
B - the bread intermingled with fresh at edges , in a way that is impossible to fake,

C - they yielded a lot of human dNA , which would NOT give a profile ( as it would for a fraud). Human identification is by counting specific repeats of redundant DNA. So Is Jesus bar code 0?, There are Middle East maternal dna groups.
So it can’t be substitution fraud.

and get this…

D - the most exciting factor - white cells were present in vitro.a pathologist will tell you that means the samples were ( recently) ALIVE!. They dissolve after death in hours.

Non religious pathologist Robert Lawrence has said this is
“ compelling evidence of creation of heart tissue”
He used the word creation.

Darwin said “ if ever there were evidence of a complex organism that arise by other than small progressive change “ his theory would be disproven.

if you want to see a lot of actual forensic reports get
Castarnons book on tixtla. In Spanish, but the reports are English.

Food for thought?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m not Lutheran, so I will not offer a theological opinion. But as someone who has read most of what is out there on Eucharistic miracles. I’m just making a suggestion of reading for those wanting more information:
And what they will find if they do read them.

Read books either
“ a cardiologist examines Jesus” serafini, or
“ unseen” or “ my human heart “ by tesoriero.
They deal with all of the miracles.
Serafini deals better with topics like MtDNA.

A précis of each is available on therealpresence.org

What I can say is
1/ several of these so called miracles have been given the “ full treatment” by reputable forensic laboratories. Their day job is criminality.
That’s Buenos airies, tixtla , sokolka , legnica .

2/ all the teams were independent , on different continents, so certainly no conferring, or common agent.

3/ the common threads are
A - human blood, and human heart myocardium
B - the bread intermingled with fresh at edges , in a way that is impossible to fake,

C - they yielded a lot of human dNA , which would NOT give a profile ( as it would for a fraud). Human identification is by counting specific repeats of redundant DNA. So Is Jesus bar code 0?, There are Middle East maternal dna groups.
So it can’t be substitution fraud.

and get this…

D - the most exciting factor - white cells were present in vitro.a pathologist will tell you that means the samples were ( recently) ALIVE!. They dissolve after death in hours.

Non religious pathologist Robert Lawrence has said this is
“ compelling evidence of creation of heart tissue”
He used the word creation.

Darwin said “ if ever there were evidence of a complex organism that arise by other than small progressive change “ his theory would be disproven.

if you want to see a lot of actual forensic reports get
Castarnons book on tixtla. In Spanish, but the reports are English.

Food for thought?
That’s what I thought when I read about some of these miracles. But what about post #7. @Mountainmike

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That’s what I thought when I read about some of these miracles. But what about post #7. @Mountainmike

Sorry I’m struggling to understand the issue of concern?

In some cases labs knew the origin ( all four miracles are different)
Others they did not. Which do you consider is more of a problem?
Multiple labs were used for different tests.

But the tests for human blood , dna profiles, etc and criteria used for cardiac tissue identification ( striation, nuclear pyknosis etc) are standard for forensic pathology.

One common aspect I forgot to state is the tissue showed trauma. Normally the result of a beating. That’s why there were white cells that also show recent life.

It should be said that some universities invited to test ,refused to be involved, when they were told the origin of samples , for ideological reasons. They refused to accept it could be true , which should make it easy to expose a fraud. They declined even to test! So much for following evidence where it leads!

And in other cases eminent pathologists were silenced and ridiculed. Take prof soubaniec at bialystock in reference to sokolka.

But not before the evidence was presented and the tissue sections speak for themselves.

It is fascinating that some other miraculous phenomena also survive forensic scrutiny: the bleeding statue of Cochabamba certainly does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I’m struggling to understand the issue of concern?

In some cases labs knew the origin ( all four miracles are different)
Others they did not. Which do you consider is more of a problem?
Multiple labs were used for different tests.

But the tests for human blood , dna profiles, etc and criteria used for cardiac tissue identification ( striation, nuclear pyknosis etc) are standard for forensic pathology.

One common aspect I forgot to state is the tissue showed trauma. Normally the result of a beating. That’s why there were white cells that also show recent life.

It should be said that some universities invited to test ,refused to be involved, when they were told the origin of samples , for ideological reasons. They refused to accept it could be true , which should make it easy to expose a fraud. They declined even to test! So much for following evidence where it leads!

And in other cases eminent pathologists were silenced and ridiculed. Take prof soubaniec at bialystock in reference to sokolka.

But not before the evidence was presented and the tissue sections speak for themselves.

It is fascinating that some other miraculous phenomena also survive forensic scrutiny: the bleeding statue of Cochabamba certainly does.
I never thought there was a problem until I read posts saying that if the lab didn’t report these samples they could lose their license and go to jail.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I never thought there was a problem until I read posts saying that if the lab didn’t report these samples they could lose their license and go to jail.
I’ve read all the books and reports, by those who conducted them. But I’ve never heard of that!

Some labs refused when they were told the origin.
Some pathologists were given a very hard time , for saying what they thought. I’m not aware of pathologists refusing to report afterwards.

Upvote 0