Sep 5, 2014
✟11,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Define "likely" with respect to physics. Even if awareness/consciousness is a function of electrical activity, there's no guarantee it's "lost" when someone dies according to Orch-OR theory. Even "]Carl Jung had a near death experience[/URL] and he believed quite emphatically that it was a "real" event which imparted knowledge to him during the experience.

How can one base their beliefs and find a level of absolute certainty from someone elses experience?

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
How can one base their beliefs and find a level of absolute certainty from someone elses experience?

I personally could not, hense my stint as an atheist. :)

FYI, it was my own "experiences", at first during meditation, and later on eventually during prayer that brought me full circle to theism again, not *other peoples* experiences.

Upvote 0

Espy

Faithful
Sep 5, 2014
✟11,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
5 years after making this melancholy thread and I am proud to say that I am now by the Grace of God a devout Christian. He has found me and I am saved. Praise God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are now present in my life in ways I could have never before imagined. :amen:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This feeling, thought, is incredibly uncomforting.

I remember acknowledging this possibility at around the age of 16 when I really began to challenge what the Universe was really all about and it bothered me for a little while but I was able to find distractions and that's all that keeps me unbothered about it but recently throughout the day I'd be subconsciously thinking about it.

I've taken quite a liking to science for science is the study of the physical world. The how, what, where, and when, and in "some" cases why. Its mission is to discover the complete explanation to the deepest mysteries of the Universe and how it all works, with indepth and well-substantiated explanations.

And biologically? Death is the termination of all biological functions which includes our brain and therein lies the source of our consciousness.

I find myself growing closer and closer to not living my every day life as I have been doing. At work I have been nothing short of top notch. One of the best and most knowledgeable workers and I'm still continuing this way but I'm not quite sure how much longer I'll be able to. I find it as if it has no meaning to me anymore. My awards, accomplishments. If eternal nothingness is what awaits us then nothing we do here truly matters for it will be as if we never existed. It will be as if nothing ever existed to begin with.

I cannot live my life under this belief much less the way that I have been living it but there seems no other way around it. It only seems morally illogical and "morals" very well could just be a man made concept, not an actual thing that "comes from the heart." I understand that this is incredibly dehumanizing and I for one feel very much so, dehumanized.

All beliefs are welcome.

If you find no pleasure in your work, perhaps you should find another job rather than trying to find some external metaphysical validation for it?

As they say, "Follow your bliss".

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If you find no pleasure in your work, perhaps you should find another job rather than trying to find some external metaphysical validation for it?

As they say, "Follow your bliss".
Wow! Astonishing in its total disregard for the original 2014 post, or for the 2019 update. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to leash a sympathetic smile at the frailty of human cognition.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
5 years after making this melancholy thread and I am proud to say that I am now by the Grace of God a devout Christian. He has found me and I am saved. Praise God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are now present in my life in ways I could have never before imagined. :amen:
Fantastic, bro!:clap:

Upvote 0