Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’m confused about the Essence and energies of God and how they’re different. Can someone please explain?

It's usually compared to the sun. The sun never touches the Earth but its energies do in the form of light and heat. No one has ever touched the sun but everyone has experienced the energies of the sun. No one has ever seen the essence of God but His energies can be experienced.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m confused about the Essence and energies of God and how they’re different. Can someone please explain?

You can not look into the Sun but you can feel it's light and heat
You can experience an artist through His art
And in some sense know the artist through His art
But the art is not the artist

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
E/E distinction is explained here:

This is a nice video to explain the difference.

How does this differ from the Roman Catholic view? What problems did Medieval Catholic theologians see with the Palamite view? How do they view to relationship of God to His creation, both in time and in eternity?

And . . . is this a good description of Open Theism:

Open Theism | Monergism

Thanks for helping with my nascent Orthodox phronema!

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arctangent

May 28, 2022
Midwest
✟26,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Some speak of this distinction as if it refers to two different parts or aspects of God's being, but that is not the distinction.

Another way to speak of God's "energies" is God's "activities", or something along those lines. We know God because He interacts with us. We experience Him acting in the world. When we experience God interacting with us, we experience God Himself because it is God Himself who is acting.

This is also true of any other person. I can never truly know the YOU of you. I can only experience what you do. Yet when I experience you doing something, I am experiencing YOU doing it.

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This is a nice video to explain the difference.

How does this differ from the Roman Catholic view? What problems did Medieval Catholic theologians see with the Palamite view? How do they view to relationship of God to His creation, both in time and in eternity?

And . . . is this a good description of Open Theism:

Open Theism | Monergism

Thanks for helping with my nascent Orthodox phronema!

My understanding is that Palamism was thought to be incompatible with Scholastic/Thomistic Absolute Divine Simplicity (although not Divine Simplicity in a Patristic sense). This is based on my reading of both editions of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that Palamism was thought to be incompatible with Scholastic/Thomistic Absolute Divine Simplicity (although not Divine Simplicity in a Patristic sense). This is based on my reading of both editions of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick.

correct. God’s essence isn’t to be what is is to be. His essence is beyond what it means to be.

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Essence is "what God is made of". The Energies are God's "Hands" so to speak, the means through which He makes Himself known. The essence is unknowable. Energies sometimes imply Grace; God uses Divine Energies to communicate His Grace. Yet, I believe it is Fr. Dimitru Staniloae who said that ontological characteristics and the energies can also be seen as one and the same element, for there cannot be any separation between them. You cannot separate the hands from the rest of the body. And, If you have seen the hand you can infer the body (according to human potential, not to Divine Knowledge which is available only to God)

Upvote 0