Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering......why trust them for anything after this, including a freeze or anything else they offer, my friend?

Weren't they hacked at least 3 times?

The sad thing is, it doesn't matter if you trust them or not. They collect your data if you get into the credit system at all, then it's used to decide if you can rent a place to live, get credit, get a job, how much your insurance will cost, and so on.

I once had an item on my account for years that wasn't mine, and even included a social security number - not mine - and even with that I couldn't get it removed. Thankfully it's aged off.

But you don't get to opt out. You don't get to protect your info. You don't get to do anything financial without their say-so. And ... they can't be fully trusted.

What fun, huh? ;)

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The sad thing is, it doesn't matter if you trust them or not. They collect your data if you get into the credit system at all, then it's used to decide if you can rent a place to live, get credit, get a job, how much your insurance will cost, and so on.

I once had an item on my account for years that wasn't mine, and even included a social security number - not mine - and even with that I couldn't get it removed. Thankfully it's aged off.

But you don't get to opt out. You don't get to protect your info. You don't get to do anything financial without their say-so. And ... they can't be fully trusted.

What fun, huh? ;)

It's criminal. :eek:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's criminal. :eek:
It ought to be, honestly.

People sometimes suffer unfairly because of mistakes made by these entities which have no real accountability for their errors that I can see. It can be difficult to get errors corrected, much less hold them responsible.

However, I am absolutely no expert in all of this. I just see what happens sometimes.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It ought to be, honestly.

People sometimes suffer unfairly because of mistakes made by these entities which have no real accountability for their errors that I can see. It can be difficult to get errors corrected, much less hold them responsible.

However, I am absolutely no expert in all of this. I just see what happens sometimes.

i was listening to Dave Ramsey and he said that they've been seriously hacked at least 3 times.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
i was listening to Dave Ramsey and he said that they've been seriously hacked at least 3 times.
There's no "dislike" button. (Besides I wouldn't want that to reflect on YOU ... but that's the only way I can respond to this info.)

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
There will probably be more government oversight now or greater penalties, which is a good thing I guess since Equifax has shown that it cannot be trusted to safeguard its systems adequately nor to notify the public in a timely manner when it becomes aware of a breach. Either more government oversight or much stiffer penalties. It seems that every major breach is not reported in a timely manner to consumers.

Ahh the devices of man! Good intentions in tech development leading to disaster. I am not convinced that mankind has positively progressed overall. Not when a kid a half a world away can ruin people financially with a few key strokes.

A freeze definitely helps. It seems reasonable to just keep one's credit accounts frozen until and unless one needs some creditor to run a check.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
One particularity scary aspect of such data theft is the potential for an identity theft victim being arrested. For example, someone creating a drivers license under a false identity and then not bothering to show up for court for a traffic viiolation. In that scenario the victim could potentially have a warrant out for their arrest and not be aware of it.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are there any class action lawsuits against them?

There seems to be the expectation that there will be one now, if there hasn't been before.

To be honest, I somehow doubt they actually have the assets to cover the damages that could be caused by their negligence, not to mention lawyer's fees and other fines and damages.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There seems to be the expectation that there will be one now, if there hasn't been before.

To be honest, I somehow doubt they actually have the assets to cover the damages that could be caused by their negligence, not to mention lawyer's fees and other fines and damages.

From what i understand they either sold their stocks and/or transferred their wealth, etc. overseas right before the news broke from them about this latest hack.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
From what i understand they either sold their stocks and/or transferred their wealth, etc. overseas right before the news broke from them about this latest hack.
Now that doesn't look suspicious at all, does it?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Who or what is/has been protecting them?

I'm not sure what you mean? But they decided to release the info, from what I've heard, though after too long a period. And if you are saying they purposely protected assets before making the announcement, well ... that's pretty blatant, don't you think?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure what you mean? But they decided to release the info, from what I've heard, though after too long a period. And if you are saying they purposely protected assets before making the announcement, well ... that's pretty blatant, don't you think?

Exactly my point.

What confounds me is....after this history of hacking, why they are still at liberty to gather such personal and damaging information on consumers.....bottom line being why they are still in existence.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Exactly my point.

What confounds me is....after this history of hacking, why they are still at liberty to gather such personal and damaging information on consumers.....bottom line being why they are still in existence.

Well, there are others too. And it's a pretty established industry. We at least think we need to know people's credit history to make decisions about them. That part probably won't go away.

I hope it doesn't (eventually) result in it being moved to a government agency. Government already looms pretty large for us here in the US. But much, MUCH better safeguards would be better. I don't know if it's even possible for anything to be completely safe. I'm not a hacker.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, there are others too. And it's a pretty established industry. We at least think we need to know people's credit history to make decisions about them. That part probably won't go away.

I hope it doesn't (eventually) result in it being moved to a government agency. Government already looms pretty large for us here in the US. But much, MUCH better safeguards would be better. I don't know if it's even possible for anything to be completely safe. I'm not a hacker.

Perhaps it has no right to have access to personal and damaging information on consumers then.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it has no right to have access to personal and damaging information on consumers then.
Well when the agencies first started doing that, I myself questioned their "right" to do that but ... it's a given in our society right now.

We never agreed to terms before they started though, did we?

• Haha
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well when the agencies first started doing that, I myself questioned their "right" to do that but ... it's a given in our society right now.

We never agreed to terms before they started though, did we?

LOL! Well maybe that needs to be challenged and changed, Anastasia.

Yes?

:D

Upvote 0