Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Requesting prayer that the negative fallout of the recent, potentially catastrophic Equifax Data Breach will be minimal. Praying that the stolen data will not bring harm to God's people and will minimally impact US citizens and that such data will be removed and destroyed from the dark web. I also encourage anyone who reads this to act soon to take advantage of the free credit freezing/monitoring being offered by Equifax.

An estimated 143 million Americans now potentially face a serious threat of identity theft for foreseeable future.

"The hackers seized names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and even some driver's license information."

"If the stolen information from Equifax gets into the wrong hands, experts say data thieves can open bank accounts, lines of credit, new credit cards and even drivers' licenses in your name. They can saddle you with speeding tickets, steal your tax refund, swipe your Social Security check and prevent you from getting prescription drugs."

"Equifax is waiving the fee to freeze credit at the bureau and offering free credit monitoring for one year. That just delays by 365 days the date that a nefarious party can abuse the stolen information. It’s up to consumers to seek out additional measures, like setting fraud alerts and freezing credit at Experian and TransUnion (the other two major US credit bureaus), requesting and reviewing credit reports from the three bureaus, and monitoring their accounts indefinitely.

The number of people actively pursuing those measures at this point seems small. As many as 143 million people may have been affected by the breach, but as of Sept. 12, as Quartz’s Karen Hao reported, only 15 million people—a mere 10% of potential victims—had visited the Equifax website to see if they were affected. Everyone is at risk, but consumers with less financial literacy—and fewer financial resources to absorb any resulting losses—are even more so.

The Equifax data breach poses serious problems for consumers of all socio-economic levels, but in particular, those consumers who are less educated on the repercussions associated with data theft and identity theft,” said Thomas Hinton, CEO of the American Consumer Council."

The Equifax Data Breach: What to Do

The Equifax breach will most hurt the people who can least afford it

Equifax hack: What's the worst that can happen?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-what-you-need-know-hacking-crisis/670166001/

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also read that taking advantage of the free fix might prevent someone from being part f a class action suit later, so that might be why few take advantage.

It looks like potentially a huge mess. Very disturbing.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I also read that taking advantage of the free fix might prevent someone from being part f a class action suit later, so that might be why few take advantage.

It looks like potentially a huge mess. Very disturbing.
Thanks for the info. Did not know that.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the info. Did not know that.
Please note it's just what I read. I'm no expert on these things. But I have a feeling we all will have to develop some level of expertise. I watch everything closely but am working on other steps.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Please note it's just what I read. I'm no expert on these things. But I have a feeling we all will have to develop some level of expertise. I watch everything closely but am working on other steps.
I checked yesterday, and using their free credit monitoring offer does not effect any class action suits. At least, that's what they conveyed on one of their webpages.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think there is a fee if a person can somehow cram their PC or MAC into their freezer, but I have the feeling that is probably is not how it's done. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think there is a fee if a person can somehow cram their PC or MAC into their freezer, but I have the feeling that is probably not how it's done. Can anyone confirm this?

^_^

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
seriously though...

these links provide both the phone numbers as well as a link to the three credit reporting bureaus freezing webpages (cold...burrrrrr). This provides the option of either freezing accounts over the phone or online. there is a fee for freezing and thawing accounts, although I noticed one of them does it for free for seniors. Maybe they all do this..I did not check.

The Equifax Data Breach: What to Do

Credit Freeze FAQs

There is no charge for equifax. I double checked that last night.
Once enrolled in Equifax's TrustedID Premier program, a person can "lock" their accounts. Same as freezing apparently.
https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

One can obtain a free annual credit report form here. I did this yesterday (downloaded PDF copy of report). Very quickly done and easy.
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Ok, this is my Christmas present to ya all. Merry Christmas....soon!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,748,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem I saw with Equifax is that they put in this thing about doing the freeze for free - but you can't sue them if you suffer loss as a result of their failure. That I don't like.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The problem I saw with Equifax is that they put in this thing about doing the freeze for free - but you can't sue them if you suffer loss as a result of their failure. That I don't like.
I checked yesterday, and using their free credit monitoring offer does not effect any class action suits. At least, that's what they conveyed on one of their webpages. I can't remember what webpage this was on. Maybe they are being deceptive. I did not read the TOS when enrolling into their free offer.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,748,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I found this:

Your legal rights after the Equifax credit bureau breach

Before people signed up the fine print said they were giving up rights to sue Equifax over the breach. Instead putting you into something called forced arbitration if you wanted to make a legal challenge........

Equifax now says the arbitration did not refer to legal issues over the breach. That’s good for people who really wanted to take issue to court and avoid arbitration.

"Unfortunately you're not going to have a lot of leverage to change those other than not going forward to do business with that particular vendor," said Dansack.

So if you think any of the effect of the breach on your or your family, rose to the level of a lawsuit, you can have your day in court. It's subtle, it is language you might dismiss but sometimes details matter.
So if needed, one can sue. I'll be looking at their offer again.

• Informative
Reactions: AACJ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.