Visit site
✟878,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and how many of the 16 boys in the 1972 lebovitz paper would meet this criteria?

of course you can't say because none of these things are actually addresses on a case by case basis or even in general. You can't even say any of these boys were transsexual. If you are making claims about transsexual adolescents then you need to actually look at transsexual adolescents

I am not making claims about that study. That is why I asked if you had retrospective information on their cases because you were claiming they were not trans, etc. which is a claim.

Since the criteria includes aspects of gender conformity it can relate to a diagnosis. However, my point is what you also acknowledge, that unless you have notation of characteristics that meet the criteria you don't know either way whether they would have.

So I asked if you had information that restrospectively looked at the criteria from case studies.

As to the historical changes in diagnostic criteria over time, desisters, the role of gender-noncomforming traits in childhood, etc. here is an article from Zucker discussing the issues primarily in regards to children, but also looking at the issue from a larger perspective.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...forming_children_by_Temple_Newhook_et_al_2018

A second issue noted by Temple Newhook et al.(2018) is that diagnostic criteria have changed overtime, between the DSM-III in 1980 and the DSM-5 in2013. That is true. Indeed, Temple Newhook et al.state that“...these studies included children who, by current DSM-5 standards, would not likely have been categorized as transgender (i.e., they would not meet the criteria for gender dysphoria) and therefore...it is not surprising that they would not identify as trans-gender at follow-up.”There is a lot to unpack in this statement. First, even using the earlier criteria for the diagnosis of gender identity disorder of childhood/gender identity disorder, not all of the referred children were threshold for the diagnosis (see below).

A note, he is here acknowledging a similar problem in a cited study of sub-threshhold inclusion.

Second, it is an empirical question about what the degree of overlap would be if one used DSM-III, DSM-III-R,DSM-IV, and DSM-5 criteria to classify children referred for possible gender dysphoria. I doubt that anyone will ever do such a study, so it is not worth ruminating about it. It is my clinical opinion that the similarities across the various iterations of the DSM are far greater than the differences (Zucker,2010)and, as part of the work done by the Subcommittee on Gender Identity Disorders for the DSM-IV, provided one example of this (Zucker et al.,1998). One minor point about changes in the diagnostic criteria: Temple Newhook et al. stated that “Evidence of the actual distress of gender dysphoria...was dropped as a requirement for [Gender Identity Disorder] in the DSM-IV...”This is wrong. Criterion D reads as follows:“The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning”(American Psychiatric Association,1994,p.538).Of course,how exactly one operationalizes distress is a complex matter, as I have discussed elsewhere(e.g., Zucker,1992,2005).

An important point discussed by Temple Newhook etal. (2018) is that not all children seen in the follow-up studies were threshold for the DSM diagnosis in childhood (see also Olson,2016). Indeed, they quoted from Drummond et al. (2008) the following:

...40% of the girls were not judged to have met the complete DSM criteria for GID [Gender Identity Disorder]at the time of childhood assessment...it could be argued that if some of the girls were subthreshold for GID in childhood, then one might assume that they would not be at risk for GID in adolescence or adulthood. (p. 42)

Since I was a co-author of Drummond et al., how could I disagree with this statement? Ten years later, here is how. On the one hand, the clinical reality is more complicated than this statement suggests. For example, there is ample contemporary clinical experience that there are many adolescents who come in the front-door for evaluation who meet the diagnostic criteria for gender dysphoria, but, retrospectively, would not have met the complete DSM-criteria in childhood (either by their own self-report, by their parent’s perspective, or both). Some of these adolescents would not have met any of the criteria. Other adolescents (particularly birth-assigned females in my opinion) had some degree of gender-variant behavior during childhood (sometimes markedly so),but not at the level where they would have been threshold for the diagnosis because they did not express the desire to be of the other gender or some alternative gender different from their assigned gender. Thus, I would argue that degree of gender-variant behavior in childhood (with or without the presence of gender dysphoria per see) is a potential predictor of gender dysphoria in adolescence or adulthood that should not be too readily dismissed (see, e.g., Scholin-ski,1997;BIO/INFO/CV).

He goes on at some length. For those wanting a review of the data on childhood desisters and some of the debates about interventions in childhood it would be good to read the whole article. It is a response to an article from the opposite perspective, which can also give information on the debate.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Saying that, "Things might have been even worse without sex reassignment" is not science. It's just an assumption, even if it was said by a scientist.
no it's saying that you are misusing her study to attack transsexuals

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I am not making claims about that study. That is why I asked if you had retrospective information on their cases because you were claiming they were not trans, etc. which is a claim.

Since the criteria includes aspects of gender conformity it can relate to a diagnosis. However, my point is what you also acknowledge, that unless you have notation of characteristics that meet the criteria you don't know either way whether they would have.
exactly my point. This paper can't be used to make any sort of deceleration about adolescent transsexuals because the the study subjects were never identified as transsexuals. It would be like using this paper to makes claims about African American's. We don't know if all, some or any of the subjects were African American. if one were to be wanting to make some claim about African Americans then they would need to be clearly identified as part of the study

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
no it's saying that you are misusing her study to attack transsexuals

Not wanting transsexuals to go through depression and suicide is "attacking" them?
Sounds more like you're more interested in attacking me so you don't have to address the subject being discussed.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
exactly my point. This paper can't be used to make any sort of deceleration about adolescent transsexuals because the the study subjects were never identified as transsexuals.

I have not looked at the full study. But even the abstract indicates three of them were transexuals.

Earlier you indicated none of them were diagnosed with gender dysphoria as children

Lebovitz, P. S. (1972). Feminine behavior in boys: Aspects of its outcome. American Journal of Psychiatry, 128, 1283–1289.
none of the 16 subjects were identified as transsexuals as children or even a diagnosis of gender dysphoria. If you want to claim that trans children turn out one way or the other then you need to start with trans children

If they were diagnosed with gender dysphoria as children we would be talking about child onset anyway, not adolescent. And as noted earlier for children the WPATH indicates that a low percentage persist. As you correctly pointed out the same is not known to be true of adolescent onset.

The diagnosis of gender dysphoria did not exist in 1972. But the abstract did speak of gender identity disturbances. At the time disturbance was usually used with some of the same connotations of distress.

Now, I will say this, I don't think the study data as linked on the site by the other poster is accurate for what this appears to be from the abstract.

It listed:

2/16 trans-/crossdress
4/16 gay
10/16 straight/uncertain

But the abstract notes that of the initial pool of 16 six were found to have markedly deviant gender identities.

3 trans
1 transvestite
2 Homosexual

Some started showing symptoms before age 6, and another group after 10. So we know already we have a mix of child and adolescent onset. I agree it is likely useless for the purpose he presented it. On the other hand, I disagree with those who indicated that terms used such as "feminine behavior", etc. don't relate. They are still part of the diagnostic criteria for what is now known as gender dysphoria, so they relate.

The larger point is that this study only indicated a few who might be diagnosed with gender dysphoria if the data in the full study backed it up. The numbers in the linked to resource seem completely off.

This is a good reason to look up each study individually rather than going by a list without checking. So on that we agree.

From the Abstract:

The author studied the outcome of 16 subjects who had exhibited feminine behavior as young boys. A structured interview, devised b culling from the literature those factors considered to be associated with gender identity disturbances, and a battery of psychological tests were administered. Six of the subjects showed markedly deviant gender identities; three were transsexuals, one a transvestite, and two homosexuals. There appeared to be two peaks for the age of onset of symptoms: before age six and after age ten. The data suggest that those with the earlier age of onset are more likely to develop severe gender identity disturbances.

Upvote 0