USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no.. God does not hear unrighteous/unbelievers. It is written "If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will.."

He hears the pray for salvation.. duh..

Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe in Baptism as the entrance to the New Covenant?
I believe according to scripture Baptism in Jesus' name is apart of the new covenant. It is being born again of water Jesus spoke about in John3

Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
In an external sense, yes. I acknowledge a distinction between the visible and invisible church.
visible and invisible? external sense? these are not biblical terms. Do you have any scriptures that support your terms and ideas?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I never understood how Christ is the substance of a covenant, yet the members of the covenant can be externally separate from the substance and still be in the covenant. Seems like a contradiction...

They enjoy temporal and external benefits of the covenant but not eternal salvation. They enjoy the preaching of the word, church discipline, the community of the church, etc...

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
visible and invisible? external sense? these are not biblical terms. Do you have any scriptures that support your terms and ideas?

Yes! Check out Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43, Matthew 13:47-50, and Matthew 22:1-14.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
They enjoy temporal and external benefits of the covenant but not eternal salvation. They enjoy the preaching of the word, church discipline, the community of the church, etc...

Still, if Christ is the covenant's substance, how is there an extra compartment for some members to be separate from the substance? Makes no sense.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Still, if Christ is the substance, how is there an extra compartment for some to be separate from the substance? Makes no sense.

Take it up with Jesus. He's the one who said that there would be some "in me" who bear no fruit (John 15).

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a strange dichotomy. Why do you think it's appropriate to separate the idea of getting saved from the idea of growing in grace and being conformed to the image of Christ?
Why do you think it strange? Joining the covenant / getting saved is described as New Birth. We are born and we grow over time. Salvation is a one time event whereas growth in HIM is a life long process.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Take it up with Jesus. He's the one who said that there would be some "in me" who bear no fruit (John 15).

Jesus was talking to his Jewish counterparts, his disciples. This text is parallel to Romans 11.

If you interpret it as members in Christ, then you believe in potential apostasy of those saved. He's the substance, right?

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe in Baptism as the entrance to the New Covenant?
No. As Derek Prince taught it, it is the “funeral and burial for the fallen nature” which died on New Birth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think it strange? Joining the covenant / getting saved is described as New Birth. We are born and we grow over time. Salvation is a one time event whereas growth in HIM is a life long process.

I see the Bible teaching that we have been saved, are being saved, and will be saved. I don't see salvation as something that happens at one time.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was talking to his Jewish counterparts, his disciples. This text is parallel to Romans 11.

He's talking to Jews, so what?

If you interpret it as members in Christ, then you believe in potential apostasy of those saved. He's the substance, right?

I believe in apostasy for those who are "in Christ" in some sense. Jesus says that there will be some "in me" who fall away. These are not those who are truly saved, but they are truly "in him". Think about that!

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also, if we take the fruitless branches as former members of Christ, then why does he say "the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine"? So, these unfruitful branches were abiding and did not bear fruit? Or did not abide and yet were in Christ? Seems our Lord is confusing us, or your interpretation doesn't fit.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Also, if we take the fruitless branches as former members of Christ, then why does he say "the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine"? So, these unfruitful branches were abiding and did not bear fruit? Seems our Lord is confusing us.

They were in him but did not remain in him. They were cut off because they bore no fruit. They bore no fruit because they did not abide.

Could you explain what Jesus means when he says that these fruitless branches are "in me"?

Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Yes! Check out Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43, Matthew 13:47-50, and Matthew 22:1-14.
Matt chapter 13 clearly tell that the devil sowed tares among the wheat. The tares were not in covenant with God the were of the devil.
Matt 22 again speaking of those that are called to Christ but have not made themselves ready. They too are clearly not in a covenant relationship with God. Perhaps they have backslidden out of the covenant of God.
I do not believe you have presented scriptures that support the belief that non believers are within covenant with God. A person cant even be born again without faith "belief".

Upvote 0