JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Do you think employers should be allowed to deny health care coverage to their employees for doctor-recommended health care services if those services are contrary to the employer’s religious beliefs or moral convictions, or do you think all workers should be allowed access to all doctor-recommended health care services, regardless of their employer’s beliefs?

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I think it should be that if an employee doesn't like any part of the coverage an employer offers they should have the right to just not use that part they object to. Makes it a case of personal responsibility that way. We're all for personal responsibility aren't we?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Do you think employers should be allowed to deny health care coverage to their employees for doctor-recommended health care services if those services are contrary to the employer’s religious beliefs or moral convictions, or do you think all workers should be allowed access to all doctor-recommended health care services, regardless of their employer’s beliefs?
Wrong question.

The employees should be able to purchase insurance for themselves and and their families and then be able to maintain that insurance for life. Relying on one's employer for health insurance often compels one to stay with an employer. It's no business of the employer what particular health care coverage you need or want.

There is absolutely no reason that insurance can't be transportable. Honest reform of the health care system would change things up so that insurance is transportable.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Wrong question.

The employees should be able to purchase insurance for themselves and and their families and then be able to maintain that insurance for life. Relying on one's employer for health insurance often compels one to stay with an employer. It's no business of the employer what particular health care coverage you need or want.

There is absolutely no reason that insurance can't be transportable. Honest reform of the health care system would change things up so that insurance is transportable.

Not germane, a option people have today, and not the legislation being voted on today.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Not germane, a option people have today, and not the legislation being voted on today.
It's unfortunately not an option people have today ... but should have.

When Obamacare gets overturned, that's the direction we need to go. :)

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others

That is false, health care reform does not prevent individuals from purchasing their own insurance.

Mandatory insurance does not go into effect till 2014.

Please stay on topic.

Upvote 0

GeorgeKillen

debil
Sep 4, 2008
in hiding
✟16,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What you posed is not an either/or question.

I believe employers should stay out of the doctor patient relationship and that access to health care should be universal. All workers should have access to all doctor-recomended health care services - that the patient can afford.

I am however opposed to mandating that an employer purchase goods or services that are in direct opposition with their faith.

Health insurance and health care are two totally seperate issues.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others

I believe employers should stay out of the doctor patient relationship and that access to health care should be universal. All workers should have access to all doctor-recomended health care services - that the patient can afford.

I am however opposed to mandating that an employer purchase goods or services that are in direct opposition with their faith.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Thing is, you're fighting against a strawman. I don't know what you think "Obamacare" is but it doesn't exist.

What we should have is a system that everyone pays into and everyone benefits from. Period. Just like we all pay into our cities, towns and villages and get police and fire protection. We all get roads and schools. We should get basic, decent, minimum healthcare as well.

There are many ways to do it but the first way to save a ton of money is to make the health insurance companies non-profit. Start there. Why should we add to the cost of all this by paying them a spiff just for administering the whole thing?

Sorry... conservatives are wrong. Individual insurance open to being cancelled or changed at the company's whim is NOT the answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I don't get you guys. So you're for a boss being able to force his or her employees to kowtow to their faith. If I believe that god is the flying spaghetti monster who has touched me with his noodly appendage and I don't want you using your paychecks to purchase pasta because that's in direct contradiction to my faith should I be able to stop you?

Health insurance, for better or worse, is part of a job's compensation. You don't get to tell me what I can or can't do with it.

The only answer is to remove health insurance coverage from the workplace so that employers can't have any say in what is or isn't covered.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

How does an employer "deny" health services?

Presumably an employer pays his employees something known as "money" with which they are free to purchase health services.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
How does an employer "deny" health services?

Presumably an employer pays his employees something known as "money" with which they are free to purchase health services.

And they still can, but in the mean time the legislation failing just today would allow them to deny certain coverages for religious beliefs or moral convictions. Thus the "deny"

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JoyJuice said:

The employer should have the right to offer whatever coverage he desires. The employee then has at least four options: Negotiate for better coverage, refuse employment, purchase supplemental coverage, or pay out of pocket for non-covered care. This aligns with a concept we call freedom

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The employer should have the right to offer whatever coverage he desires. The employee then has at least four options: Negotiate for better coverage, refuse employment, purchase supplemental coverage, or pay out of pocket for non-covered care. This aligns with a concept we call freedom

Pssh, then you'll start thinking for yourself and questioning your betters. That'll throw the whole progressive utopia into chaos!

Oh, and Joy, the employer has the right to give their employee however much coverage as they want... At least until Dear Leader's iron fist gets rid of that right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like you would be advocating for unions for all then!
GOOD JOB! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What is stopping you guys from declining your employer's insurance?
There are plenty of insurance companies that would be happy to cover you for an out of pocket expense. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
What is stopping you guys from declining your employer's insurance?
There are plenty of insurance companies that would be happy to cover you for an out of pocket expense. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is?
Do you really think the money paid as a group premium for an employee will be paid to the employee instead?

Think again.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
I think this (non-)"issue" is just another reason why the U.S. health insurance system dependent upon employers is so fatallly flawed. Besides solving a thousand other problems, implementing single-payer universal healthcare would also take this silly debate off the table.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think this (non-)"issue" is just another reason why the U.S. health insurance system dependent upon employers is so fatallly flawed. Besides solving a thousand other problems, implementing single-payer universal healthcare would also take this silly debate off the table.

No it wouldn't.

It would shift it to the government.

The best move for fixing health care out of this administration was passing a bill that's more than twice as thick as my copy of 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.' Quite obviously, since government regulation as created the mess, we need more government regulation to fix it.

Upvote 0