Arlington, Texas
Visit site
✟8,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
hey guys!

So I am quite embarassed to say this..but....I have NEVER been to the dentist, and I am 21 about to be 22 in october....:swoon:

I grew up in a household that never really saw dental health as much of an importance. So being almost 22 now i know i have cavities and i am getting dental insurance in october and it should start taking affect jan 2008. So here is the thing..im dating this guy who really opened my eyes to how important dental health is, he is always saying he is really concerned for me. He was telling me he didnt realize how important it is till after college bc he never went, we he didnt go for 3 years then when he did he had to have so much done to him

He told me about deep gum cleaning that he had to do which was painful and now he has to go get a cleaning every 3 months instead of the norm of every 6 months....so if that happend to him after not going for 3 years what about me not going for 22 years/?:( :|

I already know I am probably going to have to have some type of route canal just because i have never been and i know i have cavaties...

That is one thing that i feel so ashamed of and the guy im dating says he doesnt judge me for it, bc its not my fault i was raised that way...but i do feel real embarrassed about it...is there anyone else out there who waited this long to see the dentist for the first time..? if so what was it like what should i expect??

T

tryingtobeagain

My Mom works at a dental office and so I've been there all the time growing up... for no reason, just liked clean teeth.

Don't feel ashamed about it, we can't change our past but we can look at the future. Alot of people are in your position for various reasons and many often continue to stay away because they become afraid of what the dentist might find. I'm really happy that you are planning on going! I once dated a guy who hadn't been to the dentist in like 5 years and I made him go and his teeth were fine, not a cavity in sight! Start taking good care of your teeth now and you never know what might happen. I also have had alot of problems wiht my gums when I was pregnant and I was going every few months. You really never know. If you are afraid then explain your feelings to the dentist and maybe they can explain things to you step by step when you get there. That might ease some of the nervous feeligns you have.

I'm proud of you for going and pray it goes well!!!

Upvote 0

kingoffools13

Jun 14, 2007
PA
✟12,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i didnt go to the dentist when i was younger ... lots of reasons but i had no problems once i started going. I tell you what, some peoples teeeth and gums are more sensative or get less home care than others, and if you have been brushing your teeth like you should, its possible you wont have much of a problem at all, cavities arent good, but they arent life ending either. get 'em filled and keep on going back and brushing like ya should and you should be fine.

K
O
F

Upvote 0

Pink Angel

Sep 22, 2003
Arlington, Texas
Visit site
✟8,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
see here is the sad part...i dont think i even know how to floss right...lol i could alwasy google it...but that should give you an idea, im still embarrassed now by telling you guys onhere.....after i realized how serious it is to see a dentist, i feel so gross lol

Yeah, what she said! :D

I would like to add that you should learn how to floss now and do so every night before bed. And don't freak yourself out by thinking that you'll need a bunch of extensive dental work done!

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
see here is the sad part...i dont think i even know how to floss right...lol i could alwasy google it...but that should give you an idea, im still embarrassed now by telling you guys onhere.....after i realized how serious it is to see a dentist, i feel so gross lol
It's nothing to be embarrassed about! You weren't taught any differently, but now that you know you are trying to do something about it. Focus on that, instead. Most people probably don't floss properly - so it's not like you're alone in that boat. I did google proper flossing techniques for you tho and came up with the following link that should be helpful.

http://www.dentalcare.com/soap/patient/english/instruct.htm

Kudos to you for doing something to change your oral hygeine situation. You could have learned all about it and continued on NOT caring for your teeth.

Reactions: Pink Angel
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All you need is someone to show you. It will probably hurt and bleed since you have never done it, but it's still gotta be done. The more you do now, the easier your cleaning will be.

Upvote 0

Shad6374

Aug 18, 2007
Georgia
✟7,727.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't go to the dentist from from the time I was 11 until about 3 years ago so you aren't alone. The reason I didn't go is because my family didn't have dental insurance and no money to pay for the visit otherwise.

Like you I developed cavities and because it was painful when I tried to brush them like an idiot I just stopped. The end result was me losing several teeth and ending up with partials at a very young age.

So yes while it is important to go regularly there is no need to be embarrassed about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pink Angel

Sep 22, 2003
Arlington, Texas
Visit site
✟8,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's nothing to be embarrassed about! You weren't taught any differently, but now that you know you are trying to do something about it. Focus on that, instead. Most people probably don't floss properly - so it's not like you're alone in that boat. I did google proper flossing techniques for you tho and came up with the following link that should be helpful.

http://www.dentalcare.com/soap/patient/english/instruct.htm

Kudos to you for doing something to change your oral hygeine situation. You could have learned all about it and continued on NOT caring for your teeth.

ok stupid question....so when flossing (i read the website) you have to curve around the whole top of your tooth too?? ow? lol that just kind of creeps me out a little. So, you do the sides and the top where the gums are meeting the teeth and curve around the top from one side to the other??:eek:

ya...i feel really uneducated right about now lol

Reactions: ido
Upvote 0

LonesomeTexan

Veteran
Jun 24, 2007
North of Houston
✟19,404.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
I'm pretty fortunate when it comes to dental care. One of my dad's dear friends since childhood is a dentist. So whenever I'm in his area, I drop in and get my teeth looked at/cleaned. He won't take money from us even if we begged him. I've only had a couple cavities. Nothing major. I really don't go as often as I should. I don't floss either. I just brush and use mouthwash. Cavities don't hurt too bad depending on how bad they are. Doc will numb u up novacain or get u high on laughing gas. Laughing gas is one of the better highs I've ever had. I'm suprised there aren't more people getting high on that stuff.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
ok stupid question....so when flossing (i read the website) you have to curve around the whole top of your tooth too?? ow? lol that just kind of creeps me out a little. So, you do the sides and the top where the gums are meeting the teeth and curve around the top from one side to the other??:eek:

ya...i feel really uneducated right about now lol
You do each side in between the teeth. Mouthwash is a good idea, too. It's not as effective as flossing, but it would help until you can get to a dentist and have them instruct you on proper flossing.

Here is an animated instruction on it. Just click on the flossing tab.

http://www.simplestepsdental.com/SS/ihtSS/r.WSIHW000/st.31845/t.32529/pr.3.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Laughing gas is one of the better highs I've ever had. I'm suprised there aren't more people getting high on that stuff.

A lot of people do ge thigh on it.

It is just brain cells dying though...

I have never done any illegal drugs, but my favorite were caffiene (not anymore) and alcohol. I guess chocolate would still be up there if it counted. I have had laughing gas and strong perscription strength pain releivers... which I didn't think were all that great.

JM

Upvote 0