MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was looking at a member's profile and noticed that she had posted what appears to be a diagram of Jewish priest's vestments.

Do you notice any similarities between what she has posted and what our Orthodox priests wear?

http://www.christianforums.com/users/30303/

I was told by my priest that many of the items that our priests wear come from the times of St. Constantine and the Byzantine Emperors. However, it is obvious that we are showing our Jewish roots too.

Notice the white robe which the Jewish priest wears underneath his priestly garments? Doesn't it look similar to the one our Orthodox Priests wear (symbolizing a baptismal garment).

I have not taken any Orthodox seminary classes, so any positive input would be appreciated. Thanks.

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As I remember from my liturgical class at Holy Cross, the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, is a blending of two elements - monastic and the Imperial liturgy from the Hagia Sophia. So some of the processions that we're accustomed to, like the Great Entrance, are hold overs from when the bread and wine were prepared in an outbuilding and then brought in during the Great Entrance. The vestments are partly brought over from the Imperial side of things, especially for the bishops vestments.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, I have heard that Christians Christianized the pagan imperial clothes and whatnot, which would have drawn on the Jewish vestments because of the faith's history. a lot actually started practical and then was given more theological meaning later.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
· Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
· Gen 37:3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat of many colors.
· Exo 28:4 And these are the garments which they shall make; a breastplate, and an ephod, and a robe, and a broidered coat, a mitre, and a girdle: and they shall make holy garments for Aaron thy brother, and his sons, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.
· Isa 61:10I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.
· Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember seeing a very good article written by an Orthodox Christian who is also a textile historian. I'll have to go hunting for it, but the gist of it was that most of our vestments came from the standard clothing that people in the Greco-Roman civilization wore for important events.

For instance, the tunica was the source of both the cassock and the sticharion, while the stole (both the deacon's orarion and the priest's epitrachelion) has its origins in the toga. The term zone originally described any belt, especially the one used to keep the tunica under control. The omophor is a modified version of the pallium tabulata, a form of the outer garment originally worn only by high civil officials. St. Constantine allowed bishops to wear it in order to show that they were equal in dignity and honor to the consuls and governors.

I really have to find that article again...

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
don't you find that slight effeminate?

Maybe just go sockless...

Shirts + Jean Shorts and Doc Marten boots doesn't sound effeminate much.

In the winter, wear long-sleeved shirts and a jacket. Could use a pair of camouflage pants

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Shirts + Jean Shorts and Doc Marten boots doesn't sound effeminate much.

In the winter, wear long-sleeved shirts and a jacket. Could use a pair of camouflage pants

I just made a pair of camouflage pants because we have killer bees on our property. Now I look like a tree if I am very still.
I use them for gardening only.

Back on topic.

I went to the Jewish museum in Los Angeles a few years back. I forgot the name.
Anyway, they had various exhibits that were quite instructional and beautifully designed.
There was one exhibit where they had a white gown that is very similar to our christening robes used in baptisms.
Is this where we got the white robes of baptism?

Christ did talk about the white robes as being a prerequisite for entering the Heavenly marriage feast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0