God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've recently been scouring my bookshelf for anything I haven't read, and today I came across a collection of Poe's short stories. I read the first story in the book "The Oblong Box", and while I found the ending average/good, the writing up until that point was just so difficult to enjoy. I could appreciate the difficulty of telling a story in less than 20 pages, and including such detailed background and description, but eh - I was surprised at what a let down Poe turned out to be.

I plan to atleast attempt a few more of the short stories - there's every chance I just didn't like the first that much - however I was wondering what others experiences with Poe are like. Do you enjoy his style? Can you recommend anything (either to read, or NOT to read ^_^) by him?

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Try "The Cask of Amontillado." I've never read "The Oblong Box," but I'm guessing it's not one of his more popular ones. I've also heard "Fall of the House of Usher" is a good one, but I've never gotten around to reading it. Read some of his more famous stories--they're famous for a reason! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Babel Fish

Jan 2, 2006
Minnesota
✟15,580.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You've also got to put into consideration the time that these stories were written. In our society we have become rather desensitized but at the time when poe was writing, his stories would have been pretty freaky. I would recommend reading some of his more popular works before delving into his more obscure creations. Also, check out some of his poetry. I really like his writing style. It's not nearly as pretentious as a lot of the writing that came out of the 1800's. He actually sounds like a human being (well, a semi-lucid human being). good luck.. Also, read some of emily dickinsons work, she is a genius.

Upvote 0

meh

Legend
Feb 22, 2006
✟52,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
He is my favorite poet. I love love love his poetry. Love it. I like his stories and other works much less. I do like some of the popular ones, though, like The Pit and the Pendulum and The Purloined Letter. I also like A Descent Into the Maelstrom.

But a lot of his stories I just don't care for.

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But a lot of his stories I just don't care for.
I've found ( in reading some more of his work) that is the case for me too. I simply do not care for most of his stories. :sorry:

Thanks for the recommendation for "The Cask of Amontillado", I'll check it out when I get some time. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Classic short horror stories....

'The Cask of Amontillado'...awesome!!! After you read it, check out the Toby Keith video for one of his latest songs, 'A Little Too Late'. :thumbsup:

http://www.cmt.com/loaded/index.jhtml?vid=86488

(I think that link will take you to the video. My connection is only 26k...so I don't do on-line video!!)

'Hop Frog'...a lesson on what can happen when you pick on the little guy too much.

'The Tell-Tale Heart'. This one had my heart in my throat when I first read it in grade school.

One thing to remember about Poe...you might read his stuff and think "I've read stories like this before. This is just a rip-off of somebody elses' work"...but Poe was the original.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums