Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
I think the UN has called for NATO action, and the U.S. is pretty much NATO, but I think we're kind of busy right now.

Bottomline, even though the first female was able cast a vote for a newly elected President or not, Afghanistan is an issue that will need to be redressed in the future and soon before it's out of control more than it is now.

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
Doctrine1st said:
I think the UN has called for NATO action, and the U.S. is pretty much NATO, but I think we're kind of busy right now.

Bottomline, even though the first female was able cast a vote for a newly elected President or not, Afghanistan is an issue that will need to be redressed in the future and soon before it's out of control more than it is now.
In other words, the UN is basically turning their back and doing nothing, as usual.

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Outspoken said:
In other words, the UN is basically turning their back and doing nothing, as usual.
I'm not to familiar with UN proceedures for dispatching Nato troops, maybe someone else can shed some light on how it goes, but although I am strongly supportive of the removal of the Taliban due to their terrorist connections with those of 9/11, the side effects of the war such as the ressurgence of warlords, the Taliban, and the increase on the drug trade is pretty much to a large degree our responsibility in compliance to the UN's concern. Wouldn't you agree?

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
Doctrine1st said:
I'm not to familiar with UN proceedures for dispatching Nato troops, maybe someone else can shed some light on how it goes, but although I am strongly supportive of the removal of the Taliban due to their terrorist connections with those of 9/11, the side effects of the war such as the ressurgence of warlords, the Taliban, and the increase on the drug trade is pretty much to a large degree our responsibility in compliance to the UN's concern. Wouldn't you agree?
Nope I would not. It is no one's fault that warlords pop up other then the warlord themselves. It is no one's fault that people are growing opium but the people growing it themselves. I find the view of wanting to pass the buck on personal responsibity upsetting myself :) The UN does the same sort of thing all the time thus why they are useless.

Upvote 0

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Doctrine1st said:
The UN can't dispatch Nato troops.

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Outspoken said:
Nope I would not. It is no one's fault that warlords pop up other then the warlord themselves. It is no one's fault that people are growing opium but the people growing it themselves. I find your wanting to pass the buck on personal responsibity upsetting myself :) The UN does the same sort of thing all the time thus why they are useless.
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about personal accountability, responsibility, and passing the buck. We knew the drug problem before the Taliban took over and supported them financially because of the swell job they were doing. To leave them in a far worse situation than we thought they were in before the war is, well frankly baffling for me, and will only fuel more contempt toward our policies and ultimatley us. Really sorry to hear that this idea upsets you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cowboy_VCIA

Nov 6, 2004
Memphis, TN
✟15,168.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nathan Poe said:
Since when is the UN responsible for cleaning up America's messes around the world?
Since they were behind us going into Ghanny, and setting up refuge for those opressed by the Taliban. Just keep setting yourself up with stupid questions. I love answering them.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One of my research projects in college was the Taliban's effect on the drug trade in Afghanistan. It was fascinating to note the change before and after the invasion.

Basically, Afghanistan has no infastructure. The russians bombed it, Afghans bombed each other, and then we bombed them. They don't have the structure to produce and support their population, without turning to narcotics.

Best way to solve it? A combination of religious edicts (Taliban did this) and rebuilding of the country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Doctrine1st said:
Well I guess to subside the drug trade and put the resurging Taliban and warlords in check, it sounds like more than a peace keeping role?
Let's see if I can 'shotgun' your question.

UN peacekeepers are deployed by the UN Security Council...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]The United Nations Security Council normally creates and defines peacekeeping missions. It does this by providing the mission with a mandate—a description of the mission’s tasks.To establish a new peacekeeping mission, or change the mandate or strength of an existing mission, nine of the Security Council’s 15 member States must vote in favour. [/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]However, if any one of the five permanent members—China, France, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom or the United States—votes against the proposal, it fails. [/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1][/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]The concept of traditional UN peacekeeping holds that peacekeepers are unarmed or lightly armed and can use force only in self-defence. In the last few years, however, events have led to debate on how to make UN peacekeepers more effective in dangerous and complex missions, while ensuring their impartiality.
[/size][/font]

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/dpko/faq/q9.htm

As for NATO... they are very similar but on a smaller scale...

Upvote 0