Washington State
✟103,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello! The Bible discusses giving thanks to God for food in a number of passages. Among them are Matthew 15:36, Romans 14:6, and Acts of the Apostles 27:35. Should Christians give thanks before every meal? Do the Scriptures teach we should give thanks every time we eat food--even snacks? If not, how do you draw the line? Thank you!

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it is necessary to say "grace" every time you eat. If we think about it though, it is nice to thank the Lord for all the blessings He gives us, whether it is for food or other things. Even if you just do it silently in your heart.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello! The Bible discusses giving thanks to God for food in a number of passages. Among them are Matthew 15:36, Romans 14:6, and Acts of the Apostles 27:35. Should Christians give thanks before every meal? Do the Scriptures teach we should give thanks every time we eat food--even snacks? If not, how do you draw the line? Thank you!
When you have food in your hand and are filled with thanksgiving to God, then express that thanksgiving to Him! If you are not filled with thanksgiving, then express thanksgiving to Him even more!

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it is necessary to say "grace" every time you eat. If we think about it though, it is nice to thank the Lord for all the blessings He gives us, whether it is for food or other things. Even if you just do it silently in your heart.
1 Timothy 4:4-5 says that prayer sanctifies the food that some would forbid. Does this teach we need to pray for our food? If so, where do you draw the line? Typically, I haven't prayed when I get a snack, for example, but believed I needed to pray for meals. I don't know how to draw such distinctions from the Bible itself, however, so I'm seeking a distinction that's Bible-based. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, in some cases it is good to go back to former ways. In the past people used to give thanks to the Lord when they sit down to eat and drink. That custom has been lost in modern times. We are not grateful anymore. That has to change.

Reactions: Kilk1
Upvote 0