✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look, I'm not much for debate.

I only debate unless is a critical/crucial/important issue.

As the title of the thread implies, it was meant for mutual discussion in a friendly format.

. . .

What you said is of great importance. There is a heresy which runs rampant through the Roman Church where the faithful have stopped calling God by his proper names, Father, Son and Holy Spirit and have replaced those names with Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier. Thus for you to call God by the term creator smacks of this Roman error.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
May I point out that it is not limited to the RCC. I know it is in the Lutheran Church and I've heard it from others (though I forget their denomination)

It is very problematic to call God by his functions instead of by his names.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟437,562.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Justin, how would you like it if I stripped your name and identity away and just called you the Student or the Teenager? How much of your identity besides your name did I just take away?
Do you think the Teenager gets the point? ;)

Seriously, we use terms like that only when they are the necessary attributes that are being pointed out. To take them out of context and use them as a general name is wrong.

The difference with other religions is not usually whether God (or a god) created the earth, but what His and our natures are and what we should do about it. Thus, pointing out that God is the Creator is not the relevant point. It is about the Trinity, the Son of God and our need for salvation, things that the other religions deny.

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What you said is of great importance. There is a heresy which runs rampant through the Roman Church where the faithful have stopped calling God by his proper names, Father, Son and Holy Spirit and have replaced those names with Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier. Thus for you to call God by the term creator smacks of this Roman error.

Ever read the book of Genesis? (At least in the English translation)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ever read the book of Genesis? (At least in the English translation)

Yes, I have read Genesis and yes God the Father did create the world. But God the Father is so much more than the creator of the world and when asked his name God said "I AM". Notice he did not say his name is "creator." How would you like it if instead of me calling you ProScribe I called you "questioner"?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟760,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Reps for a quality post. (a post with meaningful & coherent content)
Are you playing some sort of game here? You seem to take Orthodox Christians to task in numerous threads for their faith, now say other faith studies have made you well rounded, and now I notice your faith icon says you are not Orthodox Christian but had previously stated that you were a well rounded Orthodox Christian? Will the faith icon now change again?

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I have read Genesis and yes God the Father did create the world. But God the Father is so much more than the creator of the world and when asked his name God said "I AM". Notice he did not say his name is "creator." How would you like it if instead of me calling you ProScribe I called you "questioner"?

If this is important enough to debate then you need to start a new thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If this is important enough to debate then you need to start a new thread.

I am not debating. I am stating the Orthodox position that it is gravely erroneous to call God by his function and not by his name.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is his name?

You are the one who told me to read the OT book of Genesis. God said his name is "I AM." "I AM" or "Yahweh" is the name of the Father, Christ is the name of the Son, and The Holy Spirit is the name of the 3rd person of the Trinity. The Orthodox Church refers to Yahweh as God the Father, so for the purpose of TAW which is after all an Orthodox forum, that name will do. What will not do is to call him by his function. That is all I have to say about this matter.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now, let us return this thread to its original content which is the discussion of how we like to eat our cereal. There is a long list of cereals which I eat with 2% or wholemilk on them but which I also like to munch on dry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hoankan

TAW Samurai
Feb 14, 2007
Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now, let us return this thread to its original content which is the discussion of how we like to eat our cereal. There is a long list of cereals which I eat with 2% or wholemilk on them but which I also like to munch on dry.

I have no clue what % Japanese milk is. It tastes funny no matter what and each brand has its own unique taste. Surprisingly though I can buy Frosted Flakes here (called Frosties in Japanese ^_^)

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no clue what % Japanese milk is. It tastes funny no matter what and each brand has its own unique taste. Surprisingly though I can buy Frosted Flakes here (called Frosties in Japanese ^_^)

I don't know how I would survive in a land with funny tasting milk! :o

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.