• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Dyslexia survey, do you have it?

C

catlover

Dyslexia has one group of identifying traits whereas ADD esp when it is ADHD have others that can also overlap into those shared by dyslexia (Think of it like edwards venn 5 or 6 diagram and you will have a visual point of referance)

A person can be diagonosed with ADHD and have dysleic traits and vice versa. Dyslexica can be a comorbidity of ADHD or ADD, so too can aspergrs syndrome, dyslcalcula, dyspraxia and so on. What parents may think of as just dyslexia may in fact BE adhd that has been missed.

The more SpLDs a person has the more complex their specific learning difficulties become.........and if you do suspect you have dyslexia to the level it interfers with your ability to work or study havinga formal diaognosis opens doors to accessing your potntial whilst having support for your areas of deficit.

My daughter reads words such as "like" as "kile"...they the educators claimed there was "northing wrong" with her. She still struggles with reading and is now ten years old.

On the other hand my son was tested by a school psychologist who seemed to enjoy diagnosing children as ADHD and refering the children to a "friend" who prescribes ADHD drugs.

This same psychologist tried to state my son has an I.Q of 75 but my son, who is now 14 years old, has no trouble reading my college level books...as you can see I have little use for the people in the public schools who diagnosis these learning disabilities.

In fact I have learned to distrust them and to take care of my children's learning difficulties myself.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Hyperlexia allows a person to rad college level books but they do not understand what they have read; they can simply repeat what they have read.

Hyperlexia can be a co-morbidity of this group of disorders. [Have a look using the scholarly academic search engines to access the proffesional journal free to view online articles}

Being offically diaognosed truly helps if the problem is moderate to severe.

I can use my countries disability legislation to counter discrimination; access higher education and access technivcal equipment to make my life a little easier.

Without the official 'label' you have a real fight for anything.
Parents are not always the best equipped to deal with their childs SpLD and that is based on my experience of parents who tried to do it themselves' without working with 'proffesionals'.
A child with severe problems will need support from both.

Upvote 0
C

catlover

Hyperlexia allows a person to rad college level books but they do not understand what they have read; they can simply repeat what they have read.

Hyperlexia can be a co-morbidity of this group of disorders. [Have a look using the scholarly academic search engines to access the proffesional journal free to view online articles}

Being offically diaognosed truly helps if the problem is moderate to severe.

I can use my countries disability legislation to counter discrimination; access higher education and access technivcal equipment to make my life a little easier.

Without the official 'label' you have a real fight for anything.
Parents are not always the best equipped to deal with their childs SpLD and that is based on my experience of parents who tried to do it themselves' without working with 'proffesionals'.
A child with severe problems will need support from both.

Actually my son, who allegedly, has an I.Q of 75 can explain to me what he has read. In fact he comprehends and retains better than I do, and he has been assisting me with a college level history teachers notes and lesson plans. Labels often offer stigma and theories are not written in stone. In fact they are often written from a dominant traditional paradigm which is not always realiable. Thankfully, along with the assistance of professors from college,I have empowered my children to deal with their learning disabilities.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Labels often offer stigma and theories are not written in stone. In fact they are often written from a dominant traditional paradigm which is not always realiable.

Sounds like they used a single type of IQ test only if comprehension is there. Can you afford to pay for a clinical and ed qualified psychologist to take another look at what is going on? Its certainly worth while if the area you live has protective legislation against discrimination that applies to SpLDs.

I am classed as having severe and complex SpLDs to the point I am registered as disabled. I fall so far on the need a label side of the line that being 'officially labelled' comes as a relief, I prefer being labelled severely dyslexic plus dyscalculic plus ADD plus visual processing problems plus gifted and talented to has lots of potential but seems lazy. Having the label has opened doors that were otherwise firmly shut althugh the technical stuff I have to cart around to work with at the seminary and and work is pretty heavy.

Upvote 0

Barnabas71

Veteran
Nov 4, 2006
✟11,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep - I suffer with it. I was first diagnosed when I was around ten. Nothing much to worry about with the IQ test. However, I was well behind for my age in both reading and writing. Reading is fine now, possibly even faster than average. My writing is still a bit scruffy and my spelling is very iffy.

When I started college recently I was officially ’statemented’. This means I am officially diagnosed as being Dyslexic. This ‘statement’ allows some considerable concessions to a dyslexic student studying in Britain. I have the use of a word processor as well as a 25% extra time allowance during exams. Also, all homework can be word processed. I always take a tiny digital recorder (Olympus DM-10) into the lessons which is not just a help, but a positive advantage over the other students. They too are allowed to take a voice recorder into the lessons, but only one other student bothers - which amazes me. It helped particularly during revision.

I found 'Dyslexia surviving and succeeding at college' - by Sylvia Moody useful. ISBN:978-0-415-43059-3. The rest has to be just down to plenty of hard graft - like all the other students. ;)

Upvote 0

skyway

May 12, 2008
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When writing checks/cheques, do you frequently find yourself making mistakes? no[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When using the telephone, do you tend to get the numbers mixed up when you dial? no[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is your spelling poor? no[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up dates and times and miss appointments? no[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find forms difficult and confusing? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to take messages on the telephone and pass them on correctly? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up bus numbers like 95 and 59? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to say the months of the year forward in a fluent manner? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Did you find it hard to learn your multiplication tables at school? no[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you take longer than you should to read a page of a book? no[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find difficulty in telling left from right? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you have to say a long word, do you sometimes find it difficult to get all the sounds in the right order?yes Yes[/FONT]

Upvote 0
L

l0v3n

I thought I had been diagnosed when I was very young. Lets check
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When writing checks/cheques, do you frequently find yourself making mistakes? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When using the telephone, do you tend to get the numbers mixed up when you dial? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is your spelling poor? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up dates and times and miss appointments? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find forms difficult and confusing? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to take messages on the telephone and pass them on correctly? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up bus numbers like 95 and 59? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to say the months of the year forward in a fluent manner? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Did you find it hard to learn your multiplication tables at school? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you take longer than you should to read a page of a book? No[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find difficulty in telling left from right? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you have to say a long word, do you sometimes find it difficult to get all the sounds in the right order? Yes[/FONT]
Well I guess that solves it then.

Upvote 0

Christianmusicroo

Be Strong and Have Streangth You're One Of a Kind
Oct 20, 2008
Colorado Springs Colorado
Visit site
✟15,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When writing checks/cheques, do you frequently find yourself making mistakes? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When using the telephone, do you tend to get the numbers mixed up when you dial? Not Really
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is your spelling poor? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up dates and times and miss appointments? Some Times
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find forms difficult and confusing? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to take messages on the telephone and pass them on correctly? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up bus numbers like 95 and 59? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Did you find it hard to learn your multiplication tables at school? NO[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you take longer than you should to read a page of a book? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find difficulty in telling left from right? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you have to say a long word, do you sometimes find it difficult to get all the sounds in the right order? YES[/FONT]
I thought I was dyslexic and never been tested for it even though I am in the disability program in school they say I have a learning disability but can't figure out what

Upvote 0

FollowHisPath

Senior Veteran
Jun 17, 2004
Virgina
✟12,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When writing checks/cheques, do you frequently find yourself making mistakes? No(I dont write checks)
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When using the telephone, do you tend to get the numbers mixed up when you dial? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is your spelling poor? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up dates and times and miss appointments? Sometimes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find forms difficult and confusing? Dont usually fill out forms[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up bus numbers like 95 and 59? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to say the months of the year forward in a fluent manner? Sometimes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Did you find it hard to learn your multiplication tables at school? Yes and I still dont know the 3's and up!
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you take longer than you should to read a page of a book? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find difficulty in telling left from right? Sometimes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you have to say a long word, do you sometimes find it difficult to get all the sounds in the right order? Yes[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjmclaugh

Jan 16, 2009
Montana
✟7,759.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When writing checks/cheques, do you frequently find yourself making mistakes? sometimes[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When using the telephone, do you tend to get the numbers mixed up when you dial? sometimes[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is your spelling poor? no[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up dates and times and miss appointments? birthdates yes, but I don't miss apoitments[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find forms difficult and confusing? Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to take messages on the telephone and pass them on correctly? Yes, I write slow and get confused[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up bus numbers like 95 and 59? No[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to say the months of the year forward in a fluent manner? no[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Did you find it hard to learn your multiplication tables at school? can't remember, but I know I had difficulty with negatives and positives[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you take longer than you should to read a page of a book? yes, I have to go over certain paragraphs[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find difficulty in telling left from right? Yes, I use my arms to figure them out[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you have to say a long word, do you sometimes find it difficult to get all the sounds in the right order? no[/FONT]

I already knew I am dyslexic, but I thought it might be fun to fill this out anyway.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Aamanee

B R O K E N
Mar 14, 2009
✟15,152.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When writing checks/cheques, do you frequently find yourself making mistakes? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When using the telephone, do you tend to get the numbers mixed up when you dial? Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is your spelling poor? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up dates and times and miss appointments? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up bus numbers like 95 and 59? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to say the months of the year forward in a fluent manner? no[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Did you find it hard to learn your multiplication tables at school? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you take longer than you should to read a page of a book? YES[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find difficulty in telling left from right? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i already know i have Dyslexia
    [/FONT]

Upvote 0
T

tubs98

If you answer 'Yes' to five or more of these questions, then you may be dyslexic, and our Dyslexia Test for Adults will give you a clear assessment:

• When writing checks/cheques, do you frequently find yourself making mistakes? yes
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When using the telephone, do you tend to get the numbers mixed up when you dial? no[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is your spelling poor? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up dates and times and miss appointments? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find forms difficult and confusing? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to take messages on the telephone and pass them on correctly? Sometimes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you mix up bus numbers like 95 and 59? Dont no [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find it difficult to say the months of the year forward in a fluent manner? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Did you find it hard to learn your multiplication tables at school? yes and still do lol [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you take longer than you should to read a page of a book? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you find difficulty in telling left from right? yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you have to say a long word, do you sometimes find it difficult to get all the sounds in the right order? yes[/FONT]
But i always have know i am but thank you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spirit_Star

Dec 14, 2008
USA
✟8,107.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am pretty sure I have a form of dyslexia even though I don’t think I was ever diagnosed with it. There are some letters I tend to mix up(one being I and R in words like Girl/First) I have never had it where a word appears completely backwards for example Bird / Drib.
I did use to have confusion over right/left but then I figured:idea: an easy way to remember is that I write with my right hand and I noticed that when I wear a watch or bracelet I typical wore it on my left. Though even now if i am extrmely nervous it can take me a second. :doh:Which is why I always try and wear a watch or bracelet if I know I will be in a situation that will make me extremely nervous.

I defiantly have issues with spelling, grammar and writing. Grant it I like to write and have good ideas but just don’t always string my sentences together correctly which is why I always have my work edited, proofed and even go over it several times myself but as my mom says sometimes one does not catch their own mistakes. It took me much longer to learn to tell time with a clock that has hands even today occasionally I have to think about it. It also took me longer to learn to tie shoes which apparently a symptom of being dyslexia.

I’ve never had any real issues with reading and have always loved it. I read somewhere recently that said a person can have dyslexia but be a good reader even though they may have poor spelling and or writing skills.

:groupray:

Upvote 0