• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know who else here has problems with coordination or body memory when playing sports or during dance moves, but I find that the most frustrating. I was so bad at bowling that whenever a group went I would only watch or go to the arcade:)

When I signed up for adult dance lessons I went for 3 years. I stopped going I still couldn't remember the opening routine exercises after all those classes. & during routines I would suddenly forget how to do even the simplest of steps:mad: ^_^

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Then gracechick - you find a way to keep going on!

After starting karate my balanace and co-ordination improved (and my temper has lessened!), kata are a series of moves (like you do in dance but with a purpose) and at first i was rubbish and slow and couldnt get it - now i am way better, but i must keep practising.

going for 4th kyu (our blue belt) in the next couple of months all going well ^_^

Upvote 0

meebs

Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
texasbluebonnet is right

AD(H)D is a behavourial disorder, not a learning disability

--dreamingofasong*

perhaps but i beleive i have ADHD/ADD or something like it and it hampers my progress in many areas of my life. Like a disability. :)

I'd rather not use it as an excuse though it makes my life difficult.

Upvote 0

meebs

Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have dyscalculia, but nothing else in the learning disorder list.

I just cannot 'do' math. I've tried. I've spent years trying. I can't.

You probably could actually, you just haven't found your learning style yet.

Do you have any part of math that you can do better than the others even if its not brilliant?

You could focus on that and work your way to other bits.

Upvote 0

meebs

Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ah ok then.

I just thought because i was useless at math for years unless i was taught one to one. I have been getting better over time and noticed i like geometry (which is based on shapes, visual).

I always liked numbers and stuff but i couldn't do it (most people who can't do math seem to have a fear but i don't). I have a relative who was the same as me and now he does math better than a lot of people.

All im trying to say is that theres a chance, with random bits of practise now and then with no pressure - it could get better :)

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
✟7,672.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
i was diagnosed with dyscalculia my senior year of high school. it was a real eye-opening experience and it was such a relief to actually pin down WHY i was having problems. the problems were still frustrating, yes, but it's far more frustrating when you don't know what's going on!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spirit_Star

Dec 14, 2008
USA
✟8,107.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Raise Hand I have always had issues with Math it was my major LD. I didn’t even know it had a name until only recently. I have yet to even get my two year degree because Math is the only thing I have left. Due to my lack of math ability I’d have about 4 or 5 courses to take before I take the class that is required for gradation. I’ve tried many things from tutors to even doing it on computers. I have come to realize that for someone where Math comes very easily to them its hard for them to understand when its difficult for someone. This is one reason when I was in middle/high school that I always got my mom to help me because my dad it comes so easy to him and he would often lose his patience at my lack of understanding. My mom wasnt great at Math either though she didnt have this LD she was more able to understand.

Praise God :bow::bow:that there will not be a math test to get into Heaven otherwise I would fail miserable.

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

I have issues with math, too. I remember having trouble as far back as kindergarten and it was frustrating when other students picked it up so quickly.

Algebra is very challenging for me and I have always labeled myself as "dumb" because I couldn't get it like most people. Not only that, algebra seems useless and pointless so I did not have a desire to learn it.

Just recently,I have been refreshing my basic math knowledge and its increasing my confidence.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
✟7,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All I can say is..... AGREED! 100% AGREED! So glad to have found people who understand what I'm going through. People assume that since I communicate well, I must be really smart and don't have a problem. Hardly anyone knows (or believes me) about dyscalculia and NLD.

At the moment I won't go into all the issues I've had with my school's worthless Learning Center..... will definitely vent about that later though, since it's driving me crazy!

Fellow sufferers, let me know if you discover anything important or helpful! We need all the help and support we can get!

Upvote 0

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those of you with Dyscalculia, do you have an almost impossible time doing mental math?

I know for me, I try so hard to visualize the numbers, but its like they just can't stay in my head long enough to do the sum without furious concentration.

I got by with multiplication by memorizing the times tables, and with some math I get by simply by memorization (not that I really understand it).

For some reason adding and subtracting in my head (unless its really easy like 2 +2 = 4) is REALLY hard. Its like my brain does not want to hang onto the numbers or something. Doing mental math to get change with money is tough for me to do, unless it is very easy numbers. Ugh I feel so stupid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums