• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
✟7,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,

I was just surfing around CF, and I found this section. I really think they should change the title of this category to Learning Disabilities [or Differentabilities as I perfer to call them!]

Although I've never been screened, I'm pretty sure I have dyscalculia. Does anybody else have it? I've noticed it's not a really well known LD, and although if you look hard enough, you can find info on it, it's not way out in the open like dyscalculia is--I've even heard about dysgraphia more than dyscalculia.

--dreamingofasong*

Reactions: meebs

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Me.Can't tell you how many classes I struggled to get through both in highschool & college. Some of my isntructors thought I should have worked harder. Arghhhh.
At least at your age you can prove with the literature out that it is an actual learning disability & seek the help & support needed. Hang in there...

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,

I was just surfing around CF, and I found this section. I really think they should change the title of this category to Learning Disabilities [or Differentabilities as I perfer to call them!]

indeed!

In fact i think Dyslexia/dyspraxia/dyscalcula should be lumped with Autism/Aspergers and ADD/ADHD.

They are all a part of a similar group an it is found usually that one or more occurs with the other(i think it's neuro diversity or something).

I wanna make a suggestion in each forum but i is scared too :eek: Then i'd take it to the "make suggestions" section

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
While I agree that the name is not ideal, I dislik the use of the tern "Learning Disabilities". Does anyone have any other ideas for a name.

In fact i think Dyslexia/dyspraxia/dyscalcula should be lumped with Autism/Aspergers and ADD/ADHD.

They are all a part of a similar group an it is found usually that one or more occurs with the other(i think it's neuro diversity or something).
While these "conditions" may arise due to the way a person's brain is wired :D (neurodiversity), I personally believe there are differences and hence they should not all be lumped together.

I wanna make a suggestion in each forum but i is scared too :eek: Then i'd take it to the "make suggestions" section
What would you like to suggest?

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
hello Buttermilk

Well thats what i wanted to suggest. I know these are different conditions but it seems that for many people these conditions co-occur.

I just seem to have to use many forums personaly but then maybe im an exception ;) though i don't have the conditions the forums are based for i have elements of those conditions.

I'll stick to doing that. Maybe providing links to here or the others.

(just having a rough time with it all at the mo!).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry you had to struggle with it, Gracechick. I hate how this stuff isnt coming into the open until recently.

How are things going for you now?

Thanks for your input.

--dreamingofasong*

Yes it would have been nice to have known more about dyscalculia years ago. I only found out there were others like me when I found sites on the internet. I was so relieved to find out others knew exactly what I was going through & it wasn't my fault.

I do have some ADD & I find taking ritalin has helped some.
I remember seeing the instructor working the problems on the board & thinking Ok I've got that. Then when I sat down to do my homework the ability to reproduce the problems wasn't there.

Even in elementary school I had to redo homework & practice outside of class with my parents. My mom said I understood how to do the problem...at that point I was making simple mistakes & turning numbers around.

Upvote 0

Kvikklunsj

Dec 26, 2004
Finland
✟11,951.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone...haven't been actually diagnosed (would've been nice back in K-12), but after coming across something online about dyscalculia a while back, I'm sure I have it. I've never had problems with getting the numbers switched around or anything like that, but trying to do even basic mental math is a challenge. Anyone else here still count on their fingers? :p

I also have a lot of the other signs - even after 13 years of playing music, I have problems reading music. Not with the notes themselves, but reading the rhythms. It's really kind of embarrassing...
Uh...other than that, I have no sense of direction, no spatial abilities, no sense of time, and I can't remember names or sequences of things, and can't keep track of scores or whose turn it is in a game. Typical dyscalculia stuff...fun fun. :p

Reactions: JesusFreak78
Upvote 0
Jun 19, 2007
Canada
✟7,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone...haven't been actually diagnosed (would've been nice back in K-12), but after coming across something online about dyscalculia a while back, I'm sure I have it. I've never had problems with getting the numbers switched around or anything like that, but trying to do even basic mental math is a challenge. Anyone else here still count on their fingers? :p

I also have a lot of the other signs - even after 13 years of playing music, I have problems reading music. Not with the notes themselves, but reading the rhythms. It's really kind of embarrassing...
Uh...other than that, I have no sense of direction, no spatial abilities, no sense of time, and I can't remember names or sequences of things, and can't keep track of scores or whose turn it is in a game. Typical dyscalculia stuff...fun fun. :p
hey flod logic!

i know, i'm exactly the same way. yes i count on my fingers!! i draw dots on my paper for multiplication. music i'm the same way--i've been taking music for ten or eleven years now, and i'm really bad with rhythms--i'm not so good with fingerings either. my guitar teacher once asked if i had dyslexia [without me mentioning it at all] and i told him not that i knew of . . . while thinking in the back of my head "buddy, you've probably never heard of dyscalculia, hey?"
You and I sound exactly the same--problems with mental math but not with reversing numbers.

I'd be happy to hear from you if you wanted to talk more about this stuff on PM, flod logic :)

hugs,
--dreamingofasong*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is something that is a challenge for me. Remembering sequences. I hate starting a new job, bcause I learn better when the instructions are written down & not verbally given to me.

I also cannot remember dance steps. I took adult classes for 3 years & still couldn't lead the beginning exercises. I can laugh now:), but Oh the frustration then...bfore I understood I had this disability.

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist

You sound a lot like me, but I would associate your "symptoms" with dyspraxia.

I too am a musician, been playing the violin (you would never have guessed from my character picture :D) since I was 10. I don't have problems with rhythms or reading music, and while I can play music by ear, I have great difficulty learning tunes by heart from sheet music.

Upvote 0

Kvikklunsj

Dec 26, 2004
Finland
✟11,951.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure...from what I've read, it sounds like dyspraxia is more of a problem with motor skills and delayed language, and while I'm not the most coordinated person on earth, neither of those are problems for me. Although I'm quite sure I have some level of sensory integration disorder, which is one of the things mentioned with dyspraxia, so who knows.

It looks like some of the symptoms of dyscalculia and dyspraxia overlap, though.
Dyscalculia symptoms: http://www.dyscalculia.org/calc.html
Dyspraxia symptoms: http://home.iprimus.com.au/rboon/Dyspraxia.htm

Reactions: JesusFreak78
Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

This world has nothing for me...
Feb 27, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hi. My tutor seems to think I have it and I think I agree. Math has always been a major struggle for me. I used to think I was stupid too, too dumb to get it. I'm still working on getting tested, but I'm pretty sure I'll be diagnosed. Anyone who needs testing needs to find a clinical psychologist.

P.S. ADD/ADHD isn't a learning disability. I know because I have a friend and her son has it.

Upvote 0