Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If they are WOF type followers, and i assume they are, then i would say its because their leaders are not following this scripture below. They cannot see, their leaders are blind. The darkness in this scripture refers to spiritual blindness, in my opinion.

Mathew 7:19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The Lamp of the Body
22 “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

What is WOF?

Yes, I agree 100% that they are being severely mislead.
But I refrain from judging any of them en mass as non Christian or on an individual basis because for that I would need to evaluate each person's heart and only our creator has that ability. True, my aunt had much to be desired as a Christian since she was extremely judgmental of anyone who didn't worship as she did and treated such ones inhumanely.
But her husband was a saintly compassionate man who strove with all his heart to follow Jesus' example and if indeed he was misled, then I would imagine that what Jesus said on the cross about forgiveness when people knew not what they were doing would apply.

Luke 23:34

Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

Upvote 0

justcoolforyou

Jan 16, 2016
US
✟15,528.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What I would like to know is what they are basing their behavior on. Nowhere in the NT do we see anyone being rendered unconscious by the touch of a hand, or one making garbled noises via holy spirit or being forced to go rolling on the floor via holy spirit. Neither is the holy spirit described as making a person lose his mental consciousness and become possessed by Jesus or any other righteous biblical personage. The only rolling on the floor and losing of bodily control mentioned in the Gospels is of the demon possessed. Yet there they are doing all those things and claiming to have full biblical support.

See the woman showing only the white of her eyes?
That's the same expression my aunt had when she rose from the floor and began coming toward me with arms extended me saying she was Christ.
Here is a video on the subject hope it helps:

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here is a video on the subject hope it helps:

Yes, it does help me to better understand the Catholic Church's official perspective on those who say they have the gift of tongues. I find it a balanced one as opposed to the pandemonium which some claim is a gift of God. What many who claim to speak in tongues fail to remember is that Paul advised that there should be a translator so that all other members of the church could benefit from what was being said to those of a different language. He also said that if they didn't do so people might think they were crazy. So the Catholic church's approach which seeks confirmation of authenticity and an ordered rational approach is certainly a scriptural one.

BTW
The viewpoint I was taught was the one that the video mentions which is held by some Catholics, that the gift of tongues was a first-century phenomenon for a church that was in its infancy and needed such demonstrations in order to accelerate its growth. Paul does say that tongues would be done away with when a maturity was reached. So that was and still is my understanding and still is my preferred viewpoint.\

http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/13-8.htm

Thanks for the informative video.
God Bless!

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is WOF?

Yes, I agree 100% that they are being severely mislead.
But I refrain from judging any of them en mass as non Christian or on an individual basis because for that I would need to evaluate each person's heart and only our creator has that ability. True, my aunt had much to be desired as a Christian since she was extremely judgmental of anyone who didn't worship as she did and treated such ones inhumanely.
But her husband was a saintly compassionate man who strove with all his heart to follow Jesus' example and if indeed he was misled, then I would imagine that what Jesus said on the cross about forgiveness when people knew not what they were doing would apply.

Luke 23:34

Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

WOF means Word Of Faith. Its the doctrine that preachers like Kenneth Copeland teach

I dont Judge people, i follow Christ. He said "Judge not and you wont be judged". I only Judge myself according to the Word.

John 12:47 And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
WOF means Word Of Faith. Its the doctrine that preachers like Kenneth Copeland teach

I dont Judge people, i follow Christ. He said "Judge not and you wont be judged". I only Judge myself according to the Word.

John 12:47 And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.

Glad to hear that!
Thanks for the explanation.
Will look that Kenneth Copeland to become familiar with what he is about.

Peace!

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Went there with my pastor and several members of the congregation. It was bedlam and hysteria! There was nothing of God there.

Last time I attended was after my aunt had risen from the floor after rolling around for approx a minute approached me sweat-soaked and speaking in an unnaturally deep male voice and with arms outstretched towards me

I bolted out of her house into the darkness outside.
As I fled I encountered something on the small dirt trail leading away from her house that appeared like a man with three horns limping my way.

I turned around and fled back into her house where she told me that such a thing had happened because I did not attend church. So I agreed to attend. When I did they all started trembling and acting similar to the way she had behaved and I suspected that she had invited me to church in order for all of them to attack me. I considered running but was unfamiliar with the area and imagined them all chasing me as in the film Body Snatchers. So I just stood there in fear until it ran its course. Have never gone back.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I witnessed this as teen when I went to church with a friend and it scared me to death. They even talked about dogs being reincarnated. It was a Pentecostal church. I don't personally believe this. However my mil does.

Dogs being reincarnated as dogs?

BTW
Mil stands for Mother in law?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I witnessed this as teen when I went to church with a friend and it scared me to death. They even talked about dogs being recarnated. It was a Pentecostal church. I don't personally believe this. However my mil does.
There's no need for this kind of activity; in any case, we are better off feeding peacefully on the Word of God when things startle us; John 14.1 thru 27 is a very comforting passage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh I would have been startled also, I'm sure! :)

I don't find that kind of activity that you described at all profitable, frankly.

I don't either. But a friend of mine who has gotten into this type of thing told me that sometimes we need to be made uncomfortable and made to think. He's even become buddies with a certain guy that appears on many youtube videos that some of you may or may not have heard of. Here's a video that warns you about him:

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They sure as hell got me to think. Think about what was the quickest way to get away before they frenetically descended on me.

Yep! Then they'd say, "Stop resisting the Spirit!".

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Matthew 6:6
6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

No need to go throwing yourself all over the floor etc!

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I would like to know is what they are basing their behavior on. Nowhere in the NT do we see anyone being rendered unconscious by the touch of a hand, or one making garbled noises via holy spirit or being forced to go rolling on the floor via holy spirit. Neither is the holy spirit described as making a person lose his mental consciousness and become possessed by Jesus or any other righteous biblical personage. The only rolling on the floor and losing of bodily control mentioned in the Gospels is of the demon possessed. Yet there they are doing all those things and claiming to have full biblical support.
Lets look at this from a different perspective. look at many churches and what they do and show me the biblical support for their actions. Especially in catholic & orthodox churches. I grew up in the lutheran church and can say the same about them.

In regards to some of the passages used as support I would say that if one was to look at them without a pre-formed opinion then they could not make a definite statement either way. So that means those who say it definitely does not suppport it are just as wrong as those who say it does support it.

In terms of being slain in the spirit I will say it has never happened to me. I am convinced it can be of God. Does that mean it can't be faked? Of course not. Just like many legitimate things of God can be faked. At the end of the day there are clear examples of God communicating with people when they are in a trance like state. I would also say it does happen without anyone touching the person so it can not always be dismissed as being pushed or the like.

As to anyone who claims to be a biblical figure when this happens I would be more than happy to say that is straight up faking or worse. I am not going to say demon possession as that is a serious accusation to make and really should not be made lightly.

I am a cynical kind of person. Several times I have had friends ask me to accompany them to christian events because they said I was so cynical that if anything was wrong I would find it.

Upvote 0