• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,157.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A while ago, i said on a thread i feel in need to drink every weekend (though not in the week)

I tried stopping it as I just get drunk, but i actually cant, its like I dont feel happy or something missing if i dont go out and drink, so i tried just having one/two pints, but i end up just drinking loads.

Then i flail around drunk.

I means its not good, it doesnt serve God to do such things, but i dont know why i keep doing it, i mean, its like I cant stop meself.

But its still weird i dont need to drink on weekdays and dont feel the urge

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There was a time in my drinking career when I was a weekend warrior, and I could not stop. I have since moved on to any day that ends in "Y"

Binge drinking was a great way for me to deny that I am an alcoholic. Being unable to control your drinking, or being miserable without your alcohol, is a good sign that you may be one of us alcoholics. Only you can decide.

I suggest you check out Alcoholics Anonymous, AA. You can check out their website at Alcoholics Anonymous :

Try attending several different meetings and see if you relate to the feelings shared by people when they talk. You will probably find a lot in common with us.

The only requirement for AA membership is the desire to stop drinking. Thank God for that. There are no dues or fees, just a desire to stop.

God bless.

Trish

Upvote 0

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Also, stick around here. As time goes by you'll get several perspectives from several people at different stages of a struggle a lot like yours.

It's actually a plus that you've learned you can't change by your own efforts. That's the hurdle we all had to get over.

Upvote 0

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you may be binge drinking that is also a serious issue. Do you know of any recovery group for people that have a drinking problem? You have taken the first step:
admitting you have a problem. That is usually very hard for people to admit. Also there are Alcohol and Drug counselors and most of all there is God-always there for you. I hope you will keep reaching out here. The support will help you a lot.

Upvote 0

Kyle Risk

Feb 4, 2010
Sydney
✟7,746.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor
I almost fell into alcoholism. It runs in my family which isnt the best thing to have xD but yeah. My father abused alcohol for many many years, and he was very violent too. But then one day, when he got to his absolute worst, he was taken to jail. While he was in the jail cell, he say "Jesus is hope" on the wall, and he says he instantly felt at peace, as if a great love had come over him. That night he stopped drinking, he stopped smoking, that month he got the big promotion at work, that year my brother was born and we moved out here, its amazing how much our lives turned around all due to the glory of God.
Its been roughly 10 years since he had a drink. If you cant control it, then you will be able to stop, and I believe you can because you have the lord on your side. God bless you!

Upvote 0

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I almost fell into alcoholism. It runs in my family which isnt the best thing to have xD but yeah. My father abused alcohol for many many years, and he was very violent too. But then one day, when he got to his absolute worst, he was taken to jail. While he was in the jail cell, he say "Jesus is hope" on the wall, and he says he instantly felt at peace, as if a great love had come over him. That night he stopped drinking, he stopped smoking, that month he got the big promotion at work, that year my brother was born and we moved out here, its amazing how much our lives turned around all due to the glory of God.
Its been roughly 10 years since he had a drink. If you cant control it, then you will be able to stop, and I believe you can because you have the lord on your side. God bless you!

Awesome!

Upvote 0

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well it seems that people who work and get drunk on the weekends can be a very common thing. A functioning alcoholic is someone who still has their job, home, money ect. but get drunk/loaded on the weekends or can not stop drinking. Just like Trish said this addiction will progress in time, as it did with me also and basically most addicts.
It is good that you are realizing now it is a problem, and you are reaching out. I agree to seek out a recovery support group and get some help to stop. Your brain has rewired itself to accommodate the weekend drinking so stopping may be a difficult thing. This is when support from others in recovery can help.

Upvote 0