The Desert
✟17,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone here ever have dreams, visions, prophecy, or “words from the Lord”?

I see many, many testimonies from folks on YouTube (taking most with a grain of salt), and the experience of dreams and visions, particularly in reference to topics such as eschatology and the rapture (yes, I know this topic is divisive), seem to be a phenomenon almost exclusive to western evangelicalism.

Maybe it’s because I’m not necessarily among the community, but I don’t tend to see this same phenomenon among the east, in spite of orthodoxy claiming to be home to the roots of Christian mysticism and spirituality.

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I see many, many testimonies from folks on YouTube (taking most with a grain of salt), and the experience of dreams and visions, particularly in reference to topics such as eschatology and the rapture (yes, I know this topic is divisive), seem to be a phenomenon almost exclusive to western evangelicalism.

Maybe it’s because I’m not necessarily among the community, but I don’t tend to see this same phenomenon among the east, in spite of orthodoxy claiming to be home to the roots of Christian mysticism and spirituality.

I've had dreams regarding Christianity. Nothing regarding eschatology, but they're only dreams, and are left to be just that at my Spiritual Father's recommendation. They were seemingly good, and inspiring, but nothing to be taken very seriously. For what it's worth when/if that sort of thing happens it should be brought to your priest, or Spiritual Father's attention, or so I've been taught.

On mysticism, and spirituality it's best that that sort of thing also be talked about with a Spiritual Father/Mother as it's not to be dealt with lightly.

Edit : Let me add this too. I didn't want to add this at first, but decided to afterward. The Orthodox Church rejects the doctrine of Rapturism.

Here's a little more info about it :

The Rapture: An Orthodox Understanding (Infographic) - Time Eternal

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It does happen in Orthodoxy, yes. Sometimes strongly.

But otoh we are taught to recognize that the enemy can and does counterfeit and lie in many ways - this way in particular is very tantalizing to people, and it’s also a good way to lead people into spiritual pride and delusion. So while yes, God can and does give such things, we don’t seek them out and are always cautious.

I can’t remember who said it is better to reject a true vision or some such out of an abundance of caution than it would be to embrace a demon in error.

But if you read stories of the lives of some of the Saints, you will see much that turned out to be proven truly from God. Such revelations are also much safer with people who are already holy and humble, so they are less likely to be destroyed by them.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2020
Vancouver
✟16,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Many people can be easily deceived by their dreams and visions. The problem nowadays is that external stimuli from pharmaceutical drugs, experimental technologies, and alcohol etc. can easily contribute to a person believing they experienced a supernatural or divine occurrence. But did they?

What does the Church say?

"There is a distinction between dreams and visions. “A vision is something seen more or less consciously when awake. A dream is something imagined during sleep” (Saint John Climacus). A person perceives visions by means of his senses, but he sees dreams through the action of his nous when his body is asleep." Read more

Someone asked an old man, "How is it that some say, 'We see visions of angels'?" And he replied, "Blessed is he who always sees his sins." - The Desert Fathers

A sinner like me does not ask God that he may see visions for that is against His will, and wrong. Hear all the same about a great miracle: If you see a man pure and humble, that is a great vision: for what is greater than such a vision? -St. Pachomius

Upvote 0