Dragons in the Bible. Do you believe they are real or a myth?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
They had a certain ideology, a certain belief system, about the deep sea, and oceans back then, that was very different from the way we understand it/them today... Vessels didn't go out into the deep ocean, or anything like that back then... Some even have thoughts things about the dead in connection with the deep sea... Now the King of that...? And aren't we really talking about a "spirit"...?

Anyway,

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
They had a certain ideology, a certain belief system, about the deep sea, and oceans back then, that was very different from the way we understand it/them today... Vessels didn't go out into the deep ocean, or anything like that back then... Some have even thoughts things about the dead in connection with the deep sea... Now the King of that...? And aren't we really talking about a "spirit"...?

Anyway,

God Bless!
Oh and keep in mind that they didn't know all the land either...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I mean, folks can believe in a supernatural being like God who can do miracles like creating our universe and in providing salvation to all of mankind but, they cannot believe in dragons?

Yeah, that doesn't compute for me.
The Bible describes a dragon like creature in Job 41, and it does not sound metaphorical. It is a creature described alongside other normal animals, too.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No need to be insulting or condescending by telling me it would be easier for me to read the definition. Anyways, if you were to look at the context it says this creature (the Leviathan) breathed actual fire like a dragon.

19 "Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.
20 Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.
21 His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth."
(Job 41:19-21).​

Also, the Leviathan also had scales (which dragons have) (Job 41:15); For his scales are so tough that harpoons and fishing spears cannot penetrate them (See Job 41:7) and his scales are like many shields fit together that cannot be parted (Job 41:15-17). It is suggested that this creature (Leviathan) can fly because God can play with this creature as if it was like a bird whereas Job cannot (See Job 41:5).
Interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wonder if it has anything to do with Job being from the east (wise men?) (anyway), in that early on eastern culture what did they believe, either way I think Job and his people had a belief system that painted a picture of a great king beast of the beasts of the sea, and a great king beast of the beasts of the land... Now granted, I am thinking dinosaurs if anything, but also can't for reasons I already went into earlier...

"The symbolism in the imagery is expressly disclosed to the reader."

In totality, very few symbolism's are in full... There "revelatory" in nature, and unfold in layers, and were uncovering new layers (of truth) (to them) all the time...

Oh, and most parables are not explained... only a very few clearly were (to us) but privately with his disciples in what is not recorded, he did explain many of them with the correct interpretation without all the guesswork... I think this is what Jesus was doing with his disciples after he was resurrected as their hearts burned as he spoke, was revealing some of these things to them...

Anyway, I know Job is one of the, if not the, oldest book in the Bible but how far back does it go...?

God Bless!
Job is regarded as one of the oldest books in our Biblical canon and is dated to 1000 BC or earlier. At that time in human history literacy was limited to probably no more than 5% of the population --- the very rich and powerful classes.
Job is indeed a very rich book in the OT in Hebrew fashion.

This one commentator I like did a fairly good study on it [along with Melchizedek]

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/Job/Job.htm

The book of Job is written in Hebrew in the style of a poetic drama, or stage play. The first two chapters, which constitute the introduction, are in prose. Beginning with the third chapter and continuing on through 42:6 the form is poetical. From 42:7 to the end of the book it is again prose, providing as an epilogue a few facts concerning Job's later life.

What is so powerfully set forth in this book is not the unfolding of a drama full of action, event, or happening. Instead it is a poem in which several great issues that relate to the righteousness of God and the mystery of life are explored by means of conversations between Job and his friends. There is no "movement," except in the intensity of the feeling and thought expressed, until the poem comes to a crescendo with the voice of Yahweh speaking from a whirlwind.

The book of Job belongs to a type of literature known as Wisdom, common in the Near East, a special kind of writing based upon practical observations about the mystery of life — and how to live it. Its modern counterpart would be philosophy.

But Hebrew Wisdom writing was often in the form of a fable, or a riddle, or a proverb — most often presented in the form of poetry or poetic drama. Poetry is the language of imagination, intuition, and revelation. Poetry penetrates to a depth in the human soul that facts, reason and logic can never reach.
Our confidence in the veracity of the Holy Scriptures need not be shaken, however, whether the story of Job is the history of an actual man who lived or merely the fictitious main character in a drama or stage play, for the divine inspiration of the book is readily evident. Job is not mere literature. It is life, distilled.
As Mark Toohey has so aptly stated: "Indeed, no other single writing speaks as loudly to those of the Father's calling and election in this hour as does the book of Job. In its forty-two chapters is embodied the entirety of God's dealings with those whom He has called His sons, revealing the depths of truth and reality inworked by His Spirit in those of His election.

No wonder, then, that the book of Job should be surrounded by such ambiguity, having no definable human origin; for that which it unveils is wholly a supernatural work undertaken out of the counsel of God and wrought in men by His hand only. Job, it would seem, was written by the very finger of God!".............................

Melchizedek also comes onto the scene in the encounter with Abraham the Hebrew:

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/priest/RP17.htm#24

In Genesis, chapter fourteen, we have one of the most intriguing stories in the Bible, that of Abram's encounter with Melchizedek, king of Salem, and "the priest of the Most High God." In the Genesis story Melchizedek is a strange and mysterious figure. He flashes across the scene like a meteor.
There is no heralding of his appearance, nor any mention of its results. He arrives out of the blue; there is no account of his family; there is nothing about his birth, his descent, his life, his work, or his death. He simply arrives.
We learn only that he was king of Salem and priest of the Most High God. During the time of Abraham there were no large nations.

One of the most intriguing descriptions of the unique character of the High Priesthood of Jesus is found in Heb. 7:17 wherein it is stated, "Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." This one grand statement shows that Jesus is not like any of the other priests who the people of Israel knew so much about. The entire seventh chapter of Hebrews is about THE MELCHIZEDEK CONNECTION, that is, it is about the way Jesus Christ, and thus, His body, the Royal Priesthood, is related to a strange man named Melchizedek. And the connection between Jesus Christ and Melchizedek is worth exploring. Let's take a look at the Melchizedek Connection.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jason0047 said:
I believe dragons mentioned in the Bible like the Leviathan in Job is a real creature. In fact, Satan is compared to a dragon. If a dragon was mythological, then God would have compared our adversary to something that was a myth or a lie. But I do not believe God would do that. Hence, why I believe dragons mentioned in the Bible are real creatures (or mentioned as a way of comparison).

What do you say?
Here is the description of the Dragon.
All of these words are used in the NT. I put the strong's # next to them to better look up where they are used in the rest of the NT

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/tail-of-the-dragon-revelation-12-4.8079909/#post-73132023
Tail of the Dragon

Revelation 20:2 [Revelation 12:9]
He laid hold of the Dragon<1404>,

that serpent<3789>,
the ancient/original-one<744>,
who is the Devil<1228>
and Satan<4567>,

and bound him for a thousand years;

Jesus refers to these corrupt Jewish rulers as being serpents and vipers:

Matthew 23:

13 But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! [Job 15:34 "congregation of hypocrites"]

33 'Serpents! brood of vipers! how may ye escape from the judgment of the gehenna
? [Deuteronomy 32:33]

In John 8:44 he again rails against the corrupt murderous Judean religious rulers and refers to them as being offsprings of the Devil:

John 8:44
`Ye out of a father, the Devil, are, and the desires of the father of ye, ye are willing to be doing.
That one a man-killer was from beginning, and in the truth not has stood, that not is truth in him.
Whenever he may be talking, the falsehood out of the own/P he is talking, that a falsifier he is and the father of it

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0