South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You wouldn't know it without reading the article, but it sounds like this gives parents more say in what their children are taught in school.

Good.

A step in the right direction.

Now if we could just get Creationism taught along side Evolution and let our kids think for themselves.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You wouldn't know it without reading the article, but it sounds like this gives parents more say in what their children are taught in school.

Good.

A step in the right direction.

Now if we could just get Creationism taught along side Evolution and let our kids think for themselves.

Agree in part, disagree in part. I definitely support that law. It is up to parents to determine what is age appropriate for their own children. And if the government is going to force parents at gunpoint to turn their children over to the State for six hours a day the parents should have a large say in what the State is teaching them.

But creationism is religion. The State should not be teaching religion in school. The State cannot use science in a manner as to intentionally contradict the teaching of any religion, but the State should not be teaching religion.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting, some are against this. Facebook friends are saying this:

On the other hand, if I look north to Tallahassee I see a war on kids and women. I see the very roots of so many years of work being undone. Civil rights are going backwards. True history is being challenged because it might make someone feel uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Interesting, some are against this. Facebook friends are saying this:

On the other hand, if I look north to Tallahassee I see a war on kids and women.
it does seem like LGBT kids are being attacked
I see the very roots of so many years of work being undone. Civil rights are going backwards.
If the state legislature is passing laws saying you can't acknowledge the exitance of minorities then yes it is a major step back for civil rights

True history is being challenged because it might make someone feel uncomfortable.
Much of history is uncomfortable but if we can't look at the uncomfortable parts how can we learn from past mistakes?

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Agree in part, disagree in part. I definitely support that law. It is up to parents to determine what is age appropriate for their own children. And if the government is going to force parents at gunpoint to turn their children over to the State for six hours a day the parents should have a large say in what the State is teaching them.

But creationism is religion. The State should not be teaching religion in school. The State cannot use science in a manner as to intentionally contradict the teaching of any religion, but the State should not be teaching religion.
Sorry to break it to you, but evolution (and science) is a religion as well.

Nobody witnessed all the things that evolution, and many scientific theories of our origins, space, etc., claim - which our children are 100% expected to take on faith.

Faith.

That is what they are demanded to do in order to progress through school is believe what they are told to believe.

If society is going to teach our children one religion in the mandated school system, it might as well teach Christian concepts as well.

There was a time when this mattered very much in America - with the pledge of allegiance (One Nation under God, etc.) and the 10 Commandments proudly displayed on the wall in every courthouse and legal building throughout the country. That was not much more than a decade ago, by the way.

That time has passed.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Nobody witnessed all the things that evolution, and many scientific theories of our origins, space, etc., claim - which our children are 100% expected to take on faith.

Faith.

That is what they are demanded to do in order to progress through school is believe what they are told to believe.

If society is going to teach our children one religion in the mandated school system, it might as well teach Christian concepts as well.

There was a time when this mattered very much in America - with the pledge of allegiance (One Nation under God, etc.) and the 10 Commandments proudly displayed on the wall in every courthouse and legal building throughout the country. That was not much more than a decade ago, by the way.

That time has passed.

This friend of mine, has attended many a "Freedom from Religion" conferences....what's your take on that movement?

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I asked you first.
I don't play these games.

You claim to be a Christian asking people what they think of "Freedom from Religion" movements. You can provide more information or take your interviews elsewhere. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't play these games.

You claim to be a Christian asking people what they think of "Freedom from Religion" movements. You can provide more information or take your interviews elsewhere. :amen:

You started the game playing by answering a question with a question. So, please answer. Then we'll move forward from there.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed

Faith.
I haven't witnessed the reign of Queen Victoria. But i know she existed and was queen of England and that is not a function of faith. I know so because of the evidence.

it's not teaching any religion

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't witnessed the reign of Queen Victoria. But i know she existed and was queen of England and that is not a function of faith. I know so because of the evidence.
You choose to believe so due to what you've been told and whatever books, articles or documentation you've chosen to believe.

it's not teaching any religion
Many of the sciences, and specifically the theory of evolution, are quite definitively a religion, non-denominational Christian. :amen:

God bless.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
You choose to believe so due to what you've been told and whatever books, articles or documentation you've chosen to believe.
Its called the preponderance of evidence. All the evidence says that yes Queen Vicoria was a real person. Just as all the evidence says that even though we can't see them, illness is cause by microscopic organisms. Just as all the evidence says the earth is not flat. Just as all the evidence says that evolution has and is happening.
Many of the sciences, and specifically the theory of evolution, are quite definitively a religion,
religion is :"the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So no, evolution or germs or a round earth isn't a religion

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its called the preponderance of evidence. All the evidence says that yes Queen Vicoria was a real person. Just as all the evidence says that even though we can't see them, illness is cause by microscopic organisms. Just as all the evidence says the earth is not flat. Just as all the evidence says that evolution has and is happening.
You are claiming there is zero evidence for Creation. Why even profess to be a Christian if you don't believe the Bible?

Faith is the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1

Where is your Faith?
religion is :"the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So no, evolution or germs or a round earth isn't a religion
I love how you purposely left out the other two definitions, hoping nobody would notice.

From your Google definition:
Religion
    • a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
      "consumerism is the new religion"
So, ... YES, Belief systems of faith ARE quite certainly religions.

Sorry about that massive blow to your credibility.
Maybe try a bit more honesty next time.

Sorry you're so upset with the truth that evolution is a religion. All pain fades with time. :amen:

Take care and God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
You are claiming there is zero evidence for Creation.
that is pretty much the reality of it.

Why even profess to be a Christian if you don't believe the Bible?
go look up the difference between literal interpretation and metaphoric interpretation

Faith is the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1

Where is your Faith?
I love how you purposely left out the other two definitions, hoping nobody would notice.

From your Google definition:
Religion
    • a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
      "consumerism is the new religion"
So, ... YES, Belief systems of faith ARE quite certainly religions.
evolution doesn't fit those definitions either

Sorry about that massive blow to your credibility.
Maybe try a bit more honesty next time.

Sorry you're so upset with the truth that evolution is a religion. All pain fades with time. :amen:

Take care and God bless.
its your choice to believe that just as it's your choice to believe the earth is flat of that disease is caused but the ghosts of dead aliens that have attached themselves to your body. You choice doesn't make what you believe real.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

No, evolution is science, not religion. It is a scientific theory based on facts.

Society is not teaching religion in our public schools. Evolution is a scientific theory. Creationism is religion.

That time has passed.
The words “under God” were added to the pledge in the 1950s. The original pledge was “I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” The Ten Commandments were never displayed in every courthouse in America. Oh, and which Ten Commandments? You do know that the numbering differs, don’t you? The numbering used can be seen as an endorsement of a particular denomination.

Upvote 0