Don't know what to think: Wife believes wedding ring is just materialistic...

WindHund

Prophet of Doom
Jul 1, 2013
USA
✟1,016,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are some Christian groups wherein the wearing of marriage rings was historically unacceptable but now accepted for those who insist on wearing a ring. My wife and I do not wear wedding rings and I have no reason to ever think she is not wearing it to appear "available". Too insist on a wedding ring in a marriage where no proof of any wrong doing is a bit excessive and I would be more concerned regarding the person who demanded a ring than the one who does not wear one. Too accuse or assume the one not wearing a ring is in some way mentally ill or unstable is also over the top and says more about the accuser than the accused. Rather than trying to force a spouse into doing things your way, just make sure your are the best spouse you can be for yours.

Upvote 0

opova

Feb 15, 2018
Västra Götaland
✟9,157.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've never been engaged or married (far too young) so I don't really have any insight on this. While it is technically just an object, there is an inherent value to symbolism as well. A Christian of all people should understand that. If she's been fine with wearing it before, I don't think there's a solid case to be made for her not wearing it now. If she knows it means this much to you, it seems like a fairly small gesture, although I'd be careful about backing her into a corner if your marriage is suffering.
I will be keeping you in my prayers, this must be very taxing for the both of you.. God will know what is right, and he will ultimately always show you the path. Blessings and love to you and your wife.

Reactions: Greg Merrill
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First and foremost, you both need to go to God for help. This is a deep rooted issue for both of you and I'm not going to speculate on what is going on in both of your lives, so I will present this to you:

With what you have presented is a case against your wife and want opinions of men. Why? Let me ask you this as a sister in Christ: Is it Christian of you to do this behind your wife's back? Ephesians is a good place to read about marriage. Are you being a good and faithful husband to her while she is sick? You did mention that she has been recently diagnosed, so please don't ignore that.

Speculating on what your wife might be doing behind your back is only going to anger you. Are you not concerned for her? Think about how God felt when he told Hosea what His people were doing. Why not read it and consult with God? Talk to Him and tell Him how you feel about all of this.

I know you are hurting too, that's pretty clear and I truly am sorry for not only you, but many couples that face such an issue. I have also gone through depression and my mother suffers manic depression... so trust me, I know what that feels like. I can only share with you my experiences and what God has shown me in this reply to your thread. I know I have asked some hard questions for you to consider and I'm not saying that it's definitelly that, only God knows and that's why I implore you to seek Him out rather than the opinions of men. What do you think God thinks about all of this concerning you and her? :yellowheart:

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
You are not going to get your answer here.. Talk to your lady
Maybe the ring has grown tight. Or maybe she sees it different than you. Maybe it feels like a branding. Do you wear a ring? Or maybe she doesn't want to be married and not wearing the ring is symbolic. Or maybe she is doing it to bug you. I could go on and on.
But do you get my drift. Only your lady knows the real reason.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been married for ten years, and my husband doesn't wear a ring either. He just doesn't like the feel of having an object on his fingers, the same way some people don't like to wear shoes. I wish he would wear one, but I don't have any doubts about his faithfulness, so I don't bring it up. Everybody who knows him, knows he's married, and he's never given me any reason to suspect him of questionable behavior.

There are many possible reasons why people don't like to wear jewelry, and some branches of Christianity do teach it as doctrine. Their members don't wear wedding rings, applying I Timothy 2:9-10 and I Peter 3:4 as meaning don't wear any gold, including wedding rings. People in those denominations believe a ring isn't necessary because you show that you're married by your conduct. Could your wife have that personal conviction?

I'm troubled less by the fact that your wife doesn't want to wear a ring, and more by the fact that it hurts you and yet she's sticking like glue. The only excuse for that would be the Scriptural conviction I mentioned. You shouldn't make her do anything that goes against her conscience. But she shouldn't hurt you either.

No easy answers.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im am hoping to receive some guidance on a pretty sensitive subject I am dealing with. I have been going through some pretty severe marital issues, for about 5 months. As we dig deeper I find that my wife has recently been dealing with Dysthymia(type of depression, recently diagnosed), I don't know if this is the cause of this whole mess or there are other deeper/bigger issues. One particular issue I continue to deal with is she does not wear her wedding ring anymore. She did wear it before for the last 8 years of our Godly-ran marriage.
In past conversations, and now in christian couples counseling, she expressed that "it doesn't really mean anything to her and its just a materialistic thing". She explained further, that "she knows she is married and she doesn't have to wear the ring to know that, and its not like she gets hit on". I tired to explain to her how much that means to a young man, and most importantly me. I told her "when a young man decides to give a woman a ring, with the intention to marry her, it is one of the biggest decisions he'll ever make. It means as much as like pulling the plug on a loved one, on their death bed. It means that much to a young man. It means you are THE woman that I plan to spend the rest of my life with." I also, tried to argue the "materialistic image" by her, with asking her if she believes in holy water. She said yes. I then asked her what is the difference in just ordinary water, and holy water, it is blessed. Our ring was blessed in our marriage ceremony, so I feel it absolutely isn't just a materialistic thing, its a significance of our sacrament and a reminder of those commitments. I also tried to add, how do you plan to teach our 2 young sons and our daughter? It shouldn't matter to them either in their future spouses, and they should look at it like you do? She didn't respond...
The Counselor seemed concerned and basically asked her, why she is doing it and why you want to hurt your husband, because it obviously hurts him. My wife just said " I don't know"

3 immediate conclusions come to my head:
1. She is trying to inflict pain on me and our relationship, which displays actions of no hope/effort to reconcile this marriage
2. She is trying to live a double lifestyle, by trying to seem available to other men.
3. She is just not committed to this marriage and, again, wants it to fail.

Obviously there is a little more to the story, but these are the main points. What do my Christian brothers and sister think? Is this a normal thing for a Christian wife? Am I wrong? Has anybody else dealt with this? Is there even any hope for this Marriage, with this mentality?

Stupid question maybe. Has she simply put on weight recently so the ring no longer really fits. So she is depressed about her weight and herself and the ring is a symptom not the reason. If so the ring could simply be made larger or she could lose the weight.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im am hoping to receive some guidance on a pretty sensitive subject I am dealing with. I have been going through some pretty severe marital issues, for about 5 months. As we dig deeper I find that my wife has recently been dealing with Dysthymia(type of depression, recently diagnosed), I don't know if this is the cause of this whole mess or there are other deeper/bigger issues. One particular issue I continue to deal with is she does not wear her wedding ring anymore. She did wear it before for the last 8 years of our Godly-ran marriage.
In past conversations, and now in christian couples counseling, she expressed that "it doesn't really mean anything to her and its just a materialistic thing". She explained further, that "she knows she is married and she doesn't have to wear the ring to know that, and its not like she gets hit on". I tired to explain to her how much that means to a young man, and most importantly me. I told her "when a young man decides to give a woman a ring, with the intention to marry her, it is one of the biggest decisions he'll ever make. It means as much as like pulling the plug on a loved one, on their death bed. It means that much to a young man. It means you are THE woman that I plan to spend the rest of my life with." I also, tried to argue the "materialistic image" by her, with asking her if she believes in holy water. She said yes. I then asked her what is the difference in just ordinary water, and holy water, it is blessed. Our ring was blessed in our marriage ceremony, so I feel it absolutely isn't just a materialistic thing, its a significance of our sacrament and a reminder of those commitments. I also tried to add, how do you plan to teach our 2 young sons and our daughter? It shouldn't matter to them either in their future spouses, and they should look at it like you do? She didn't respond...
The Counselor seemed concerned and basically asked her, why she is doing it and why you want to hurt your husband, because it obviously hurts him. My wife just said " I don't know"

1. She is trying to inflict pain on me and our relationship, which displays actions of no hope/effort to reconcile this marriage
2. She is trying to live a double lifestyle, by trying to seem available to other men.

Obviously there is a little more to the story, but these are the main points. What do my Christian brothers and sister think? Is this a normal thing for a Christian wife? Am I wrong? Has anybody else dealt with this? Is there even any hope for this Marriage, with this mentality?

All I am going to add is this - women are complicated. My wife often finds it difficult if not impossible to be clear about what she’s feeling when she doesn’t feel quite right about something or other, or even identify what it is. I think us guys like to categorise and explain everything, my wife’s mind anyway doesn’t work like that. Usually what I’ve found is best is just letting it play out over time. Contrary to popular opinion talking it over endlessly isn’t always helpful.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,329.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I would have exactly the same 3 questions you listed. From what you have said your wife is not happy, currently, being married. Whether or not that is due to depression, it is hard to say from here. As someone said above, symbols, as seen in the Bible, are often very important so the wedding ring is not just about metal and any jewels.

However, I would forget about the ring issue just the same and concentrate on trying to help your wife in regard to the depression. If that issue isn't resolved she is suffering and even if she wears the ring that doesn't mean all is necessarily better in any way. Show her your love by maybe getting counseling not for the marriage so much, but for how to help her get healing. Let her see you are on her side. Research, and of course pray, on ways to help her get free. It's tough.Too tough for you. But not too tough for the Savior, if you turn it all over to Him.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Stupid question maybe. Has she simply put on weight recently so the ring no longer really fits. So she is depressed about her weight and herself and the ring is a symptom not the reason. If so the ring could simply be made larger or she could lose the weight.

That's what I'd say too. Most of the time these kinds of things have nothing to do with the other person.

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

There are so many factors that go into a relationship and also into just how people feel and behave that it's almost impossible to know what is going on with her, even though you have given some information. It seems she is depressed, which you already stated. Why? You might suggest she go to the general practitioner physician and talk about any medical problems she might be having. Is she menopausal? Does she have any chronic illnesses that need to be treated? Also, what is your sex life like? If you don't have much of a sex life, she may be not feeling the relationship, although that is probably true of many married couples who still embrace their rings. Is she religious? Maybe she needs spiritual formation? Does she have a sense of God and the Holy Spirit or Jesus in her life? Does she pray? Do you both pray? Do you go to church together? Do you read the Bible together or read devotionals together? Do you have any activities at all you like to do together? Does she have any hobbies? Spiritual formation is about one moving spiritually closer to Jesus, receiving the Holy Spirit every day, over and over again, and also at the same time doing all the things that Christians do, which I partially listed above. As I said, there is no way to tell for sure what is going on with her, but maybe you can brainstorm some more ideas to help her. Here is a list of Spiritual Disciplines from another thread on Christian Forums at the link below if you need ideas of things you both can do to be more spiritual as you follow Jesus: Statement of Purpose - Spiritual Formation & Disciplines Statement of Purpose Also, have you thought about just buying her a new ring that is inexpensive? Lots of sites to look at online with rings: No Stone Sterling Silver Rings For Less | Overstock.ca

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My parents took off their wedding bands. They are in their 80's. Dad is taking care of mom at home as she is invalid. Their commitment to each other is more important than outward appearances, silver, platinum or gold. Some wedding bands are made from tungsten, shine like silver and cost less than $19.99. Marriage vows should be kept regardless of whether or not people want to wear jewelry.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your entire post is focused on your wife and what is wrong with your wife. I know from personal experience our wives act up as a direct result of our actions. I would start with getting your heart right with the Lord and ask the Lord how you can truly love your wife in the midst of this. Pray for her at the same time and stand in the gap for your marriage. But you must stop focusing on all the things she is doing wrong and find out what you can do right.

Upvote 0

ouranopolis

Jul 22, 2011
✟18,272.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Brother this is a serious matter.
Women are sentimental by nature. It never was just a ring to you or her, you both know that. Now my wife began behaving oddly like this and eve tally found out she was having an affair with a good friend. Not saying she is in your case but this behaviour shows a lack of closeness and bond with you which is alarming. Thabkfully my wife repented and I forgave. But she needed to give her whole heart to God.
The only way to save your marriage is to both fully surrender to God. Throw out all alcohol, read the Bible any free minute you have.
You are right, she needs to put that ring back on quick time. It is an offence to you to remove it.
My instinct tells me adultery I m afraid to say. Keep a very close eye, don't trust her. She will deny, and be so sneaky but keep your eyes open.
I pray that's not the case but take it from experience it looks like she s up to no good.
If so repair your marriage is she repents.
I was tempted to put my fist through the other guys head( before getting g saved I was a boxer, and still 6 ft 4 17 stones from the Welsh mining valleys we are taught to fight first ask questions later) . But I chose Jesus path.
Do the same if it turns out to be true.
Worth it my marriage is now great and she s turned to the Lord.
Other guy now on deaths door I take no pleasure in that but he never repented. Now he s emaciated and homeless. I pray for him but God deals with adultery if un repentant.

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

ouranopolis

Jul 22, 2011
✟18,272.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your entire post is focused on your wife and what is wrong with your wife. I know from personal experience our wives act up as a direct result of our actions. I would start with getting your heart right with the Lord and ask the Lord how you can truly love your wife in the midst of this. Pray for her at the same time and stand in the gap for your marriage. But you must stop focusing on all the things she is doing wrong and find out what you can do right.
I do agree with this post in part. My marriage suffered adultery on the part of my wife, and we were both to blame. We both had to change. However again I would say if she is up to no good, nothing you do will be good enough, she will use your faults real and imagined to justify her own sin. In our case she spent all day bashing me and making me grovel like it was all my fault, only to discover she was cheating all the while. Be a good husband yes, but be assertive. You deserve respect just as she does. If she s sinning she will push you down and down, to control and keep on her hidden sin.
Of course I pray this is not what she is doing and this is fixed before adultery occurs

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We both had to change. However again I would say if she is up to no good,

True, but that does not excuse our actions or our ability to evaluate ourselves keeping us in right standing with the Lord. People are going to make up their own mind but they key is to not be a part of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I do agree with this post in part. My marriage suffered adultery on the part of my wife, and we were both to blame. We both had to change. However again I would say if she is up to no good, nothing you do will be good enough, she will use your faults real and imagined to justify her own sin. In our case she spent all day bashing me and making me grovel like it was all my fault, only to discover she was cheating all the while. Be a good husband yes, but be assertive. You deserve respect just as she does. If she s sinning she will push you down and down, to control and keep on her hidden sin.
Of course I pray this is not what she is doing and this is fixed before adultery occurs

(I don't know how this appeared under your post, ouranopolis, so my apologies to you. It should be under the thread-header)
-----------------------------
As a Catholic, Manny, your wife should know that we are body and spirit, not pure spirits, like the angels. And unlike Eastern religions which tend to view the material world as an illusion, Genesis tells us that God made the world and He found it good. This, in turn, was one of the major reasons why, in the Christendom of the West, empirical science was pursued so persistently, whereas in other countries, it was on a trifling scale, fitful, at best. But it was not for lack of intelligence, as, once they took the bit between their teeth they have produced extraordinarily-gifted physicists, for instance. And the same has applied to other countries, once, wittingly or unwittingly, they accepted that God made the world and found it good. When the West stops plundering sub-Saharan Africa, watch those countries take off.

The Chinese invented printing several centuries before us, but almost in a fit of absent-mindedness. I live in the UK, and as late as the 19th century, this little pip-squeak country was forcing that vast country to consume opium. Yet, today, they are leading the world in various fields of physics or are close to it.

It is not as if your wife sounds as if she is concentrating on the spiritual at the expense of the material, however, but, rather, is wrapped up in herself. If the world had followed her path, we would have all remained hunter-gatherers. (not necessarily a bad thing, however, but it's not what God wanted of us, which, of course, is what counts). I think if she committed herself to fulfilling her marriage vows in your regard, trying to please you, even when at some cost to herself, maybe her depression would at least be alleviated. Self-absorption by a spouse is bound to be very unhealthy for a marriage, isn't it, if that is the problem ?

My late wife wanted me to wear a wedding ring, but I didn't much like the idea, thinking less of the symbolism than she did. Now I regret it, as well as other things that I baulked at, or neglected to do, which seemed inconsequential to me, but meant more, even a lot, to her. I deeply, deeply regret it now. I'd have gone to the ends of the earth for her, if necessary, but I ought to have done smaller things, just because they meant more to her, and she asked me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are some Christian groups wherein the wearing of marriage rings was historically unacceptable but now accepted for those who insist on wearing a ring. My wife and I do not wear wedding rings and I have no reason to ever think she is not wearing it to appear "available". Too insist on a wedding ring in a marriage where no proof of any wrong doing is a bit excessive and I would be more concerned regarding the person who demanded a ring than the one who does not wear one. Too accuse or assume the one not wearing a ring is in some way mentally ill or unstable is also over the top and says more about the accuser than the accused. Rather than trying to force a spouse into doing things your way, just make sure your are the best spouse you can be for yours.

And kicking someone out of the house for not wearing their wedding ring is ridiculous, especially if it may have something to do with a serious issue like depression.

• Agree
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I agree ... the ring for me means nothing.. if my wife never wore it.. means nothing. Take her for who she is. Marraige is not always 50/50 some times its 75/25 and then can me 100/0. Love her as Christ does the Church.. aka you. And how do WE treat him? Love Him do we?

Upvote 0