Don't have children for the wrong reasons!

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The thread started as a suggestion. Then it evolved and I got the impression that some people think raising kids is a piece of cake if you come up with the right rules. I'm not attacking Christian parenting. I'm concerned about parents assuming that if you do x,y, and z, it will be a cinch or a guarantee of a good outcome. Do spouses always agree on parental decisions? What do aunts, uncles, and grandparents tell your children? What does your divorced spouse tell the children when you aren't around? What about teachers and friends of your children/ Social media?

Ideas? Concerns?
I didn't see anyone say that raising kids is a piece of cake under any circumstances. But this topic seems to be getting way, way off from the OP. I'm all for having an in-depth discussion of parenting, but maybe under a fresh thread with a clear OP.

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many people say, "Well I turned out all right, didn't I?" How many couples know their future spouse's views about everything?

When I ask questions please don't assume I'm criticizing.
You can ask your (future) spouse what their views and beliefs are on parenting. That's how you know, or learn if you don't know.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You can ask your (future) spouse what their views and beliefs are on parenting. That's how you know, or learn if you don't know.
Exactly, but if you live in a city, you probably don't know his/her parents, or what all that person's interpretations of abuse are. A lot of people disregard certain forms of abuse. I asked someone (a Christian) who said abuse is punching. Excuse me! My BIL didn't punch, but he broke my nephew's arm when he was angry. He molested 2 of my sisters and who knows how many other people.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I didn't see anyone say that raising kids is a piece of cake under any circumstances. But this topic seems to be getting way, way off from the OP. I'm all for having an in-depth discussion of parenting, but maybe under a fresh thread with a clear OP.
If you think my communication isn't clear, why don't you ask questions? A fresh thread won't help.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Asking questions doesn't assure accurate answers.

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly, but if you live in a city, you probably don't know his/her parents, or what all that person's interpretations of abuse are. A lot of people disregard certain forms of abuse. I asked someone (a Christian) who said abuse is punching. Excuse me! My BIL didn't punch, but he broke my nephew's arm when he was angry. He molested 2 of my sisters and who knows how many other people.
You don't need to know a person's parents to know what kind of parent THEY might be.

If you want to know their definition of "abuse" - ask them.

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Asking questions doesn't assure accurate answers.
That's why you get to know the person in other ways. Obviously, you aren't going to ask questions on parenting on the first date, propose on the second date, get married on the third date, then complain that you didn't get an accurate picture of who they were. Learn the person over time, observe how they behave with other people, including children, to get a more complete idea of who they are. Viewing everyone with paranoia and cynicism certainly won't lead to any sort of happy relationship, either.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's why you get to know the person in other ways. Obviously, you aren't going to ask questions on parenting on the first date, propose on the second date, get married on the third date, then complain that you didn't get an accurate picture of who they were. Learn the person over time, observe how they behave with other people, including children, to get a more complete idea of who they are. Viewing everyone with paranoia and cynicism certainly won't lead to any sort of happy relationship, either.

I married and have never divorced. You are more interested in pushing your agenda than accepting input.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What agenda do you think I'm trying to push?
It makes no difference whether I respond or not, you portray yourself as the expert and are judgmental of all my replies. I tried to be helpful but your intent is to accuse me of being a pessimist. Have at it!

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It makes no difference whether I respond or not, you portray yourself as the expert and are judgmental of all my replies. I tried to be helpful but your intent is to accuse me of being a pessimist. Have at it!
I'm just asking a question, which is what you wanted me to do.

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I already answered you. Do you have another question?
You said I'm "pushing an agenda". What agenda do you claim that I'm pushing? You said I'm just here to accuse you of being a pessimist, but that's not true. I'm responding to things that you've said. I still do not understand the premise of your OP, either, and how it ties into all that you've said throughout the thread. The OP says not to have children "for the wrong reason", but nowhere in this conversation have you stated what these wrong reasons are.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
State your reason for having children. Is it so you can be a better parent than yours were? Is it because you don't want to practice birth control? It it because you want to teach them about God? There are many reasons people have. You can think of some, or are you posting for the sake of arguing?

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
State your reason for having children. Is it so you can be a better parent than yours were? Is it because you don't want to practice birth control? It it because you want to teach them about God? There are many reasons people have. You can think of some, or are you posting for the sake of arguing?
You posted the OP, not me. It's upon you to explain what reasons you think are right or wrong for having children, since this is your thread. I don't post for the sake of arguing, but it honestly feels like this conversation is just going nowhere. So I will step out at this point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You posted the OP, not me. It's upon you to explain what reasons you think are right or wrong for having children, since this is your thread. I don't post for the sake of arguing, but it honestly feels like this conversation is just going nowhere. So I will step out at this point.
Thank you for stepping out.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
so far i see 2 objections to my suggestion of godly parenting. i expected that.
Whereas I don't see any of your suggestions of godly parenting and find that if there were some, it would be laced with truisms and not experience. But I too expected that.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Whereas I don't see any of your suggestions of godly parenting and find that if there were some, it would be laced with truisms and not experience. But I too expected that.
I cannot get answers from people on parenting and Christians get upset or ignore the topic. I have lots of experience with lots of mistakes. You seem miffed. Do you have all the answers?

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I cannot get answers from people on parenting and Christians get upset or ignore the topic. I have lots of experience with lots of mistakes. You seem miffed. Do you have all the answers?
I know right? Doesn't my answer make me seem miffed and like I had all the answers? I was replying in the tone of the quoted post, as noted by my use of your words in the post. Do I have all the answers? No. Do I have some? Probably.

Upvote 0