Don't all churches considered themselves "Restorationist"??

Duvduv

Apr 9, 2018
New York State
✟38,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I have understood that all Christian denominations consider themselves "restorationist" to the extent that they believe they always have the true church system of the revelations of Christianity from the Christian scriptures and traditions. Catholic and Orthodox Christians have told me that they are restorationist (which means there is nothing to restore I guess) because they abide by the authentic Christian religion.

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Egad man! What doth thou protest?

The true church is within all these external shells and names. They are the ones who do the things God commands. And didn't he command eternal life? So they have taken up this commandment given to his Son and they too bring eternal life to those in darkness, comfort to those in distress, washing to those in depravity, and joy to those in gloom. All others seek their own desire.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Restoration Movement was about restoring the true Church that Jesus Christ founded in the first century. Church Government, worship, doctrine, and morality and Christian behavior. We believe that the Bible is the only Religious authority today. If we have religious authority to do something then we do it, if we have no Religious authority to do something we do not do it. Most Churches today ignore the authority of the Bible and do what ever they want they could care less what God thinks.

• Agree
Reactions: Acts2:38
Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Restoration Movement began in Scotland in the late 1700s. Look for references concerning John Glas and Robert Sandeman. Sandeman migrated to northeastern America and brought New Presbyterian followers with him.

The "Resoration Movement" that is thought of in reference to Independent Christian Churches, Disciples of Christ churches, and Churches of Christ began when Walter Scott came to Alexander Campbell with the idea that "the ancient order with water baptism for the remission of sins" needed to be restored.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have understood that all Christian denominations consider themselves "restorationist" to the extent that they believe they always have the true church system of the revelations of Christianity from the Christian scriptures and traditions. Catholic and Orthodox Christians have told me that they are restorationist (which means there is nothing to restore I guess) because they abide by the authentic Christian religion.
This is a reference to what many refer to as the "pattern" of New Testament worship which many believe is not followed today. The Apostle Paul's epistles are directed to the New Testament church and he did not begin his full Apostolic ministry and missionary journeys until seventeen years after Jesus called him. This is explained in the Book of Galatians. The early church, which everybody seems to want to restore, was a mess. I was made of mostly of Jews, and the majority of them were of what Paul later referred to as "the circumcision." They wanted Greek/Gentile male converts to be circumcised as they had been. Christ had fulfilled the Mosaic Law's requirements but it took them a long time, and a lot of effort by Paul, to convince them that this was true and that the Greeks did not need to be circumcized. One might say that the Law was their security blanket.

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi.

That's what I thought too.

I attend a Calvary Chapel, and our goal is to teach the bible, verse by verse, from Genesis to Revelation, and keep doing it until Jesus returns.

This idea of ensuring that everyone who comes to Jesus is to follow him as is defined in the bible.

Having read the ask about article I'm struck by the idea that while we really need to follow Jesus "as defined in the first century", we read in Titus 2

Tit 2:11-14 WEB 11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to the intent that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we would live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present age; 13 looking for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify for himself a people for his own possession, zealous for good works.

Shouldn't we focus on living sober, righteous and godly lives in our respective present ages, whatever age that happens to be?

And if Jesus tarries for another 1000 years or longer, wouldn't the Jesus followers of each of those respective ages/eras want to know him and honor him in the circumstances they are living, as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7?

Technology is changing. What they had 100, 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 1980 years ago is different than we have now.
We're able to talk with people on the internet, using smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktops and other devices that didn't exist 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago.

I can't imagine a single Jesus follower who'd want to JUST be a religious person, and wind up missing Jesus altogether.

Everyone who comes to Jesus, even if they don't really understand the truth, they want to know him and live a life that honors him in every way.

Instead of trying to shove modernity back into what you think is an historical box, ask God to teach you how to live here, and now for the purpose of showing those who have yet to meet him, what he says and came to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0