United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Recordings within 8 feet of police will be illegal in Arizona under new law

People will no longer be allowed to take close-range recordings of Arizona police under a new bill signed into law by Gov. Doug Ducey on Wednesday.

House Bill 2319, sponsored by state Rep. John Kavanagh, makes it illegal for anyone within 8 feet of law enforcement activity to record police. Violators could face a misdemeanor, but only after being verbally warned and continuing to record anyway.

Exceptions were made for people at the center of an interaction with police, anyone standing in an enclosed structure on private property where police activity was occurring and occupants of a vehicle stopped by police as long as recording in those instances didn't interfere with police actions.

It goes into effect on Sept. 24.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,907.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is clearly unconstitutional. The 1st Ammendment protects peoples rights to photography.
Your forgetting for the current supreme court the law is whatever the republican party says it is.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I expect the ACLU will take an interest in this. In the meantime, I could stand 9 feet away...

Here's how that will likely go:

Officer: "You need to back up or stop recording."

You: "Sir, I'm 9 feet away."

Officer: *takes several aggressive steps toward you closing the distance to about 5 feet* "I said back up!"

You: *take a few steps back*

Officer: *takes a few more steps towards you* "You're under arrest."

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Here's how that will likely go:

Officer: "You need to back up or stop recording."

You: "Sir, I'm 9 feet away."

Officer: *takes several aggressive steps toward you closing the distance to about 5 feet* "I said back up!"

You: *take a few steps back*

Officer: *takes a few more steps towards you* "You're under arrest."
So the police can you arrest you at will? Thats already the case. Still havent gotten used to living in a police state?

Upvote 0