DOJ criminally investigating plan for alternate Trump electors with focus on lawyers

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is tiresome. Must I recite the litany of convictions, guilty pleas, and presidential pardons once again?
I would like to thank the Democrats and encourage them to continue to try and find something that would prevent Trump from being able to run again.. They don't seem to realize he is the candidate they have the best chance of defeating. If he is nominated he will unite the left and even as poor a candidate as Biden or Harris would have a good chance against him.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If he is nominated he will unite the left

What I'm looking forward to is the likelihood that he will disunite the GOP either way. If he's nominated, the old-school Cheney/Romney/Reagan Republicans will stay home. And if he isn't, the populist Trump wing will stay home.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I'm looking forward to is the likelihood that he will disunite the GOP either way. If he's nominated, the old-school Cheney/Romney/Reagan Republicans will stay home. And if he isn't, the populist Trump wing will stay home.
After 4 years of Biden I don't think anyone will stay home.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Department of Justice is conducting a criminal investigation into the formation of alternate slates of presidential electors for Donald Trump as part of a plan to undo President Joe Biden’s win in the 2020 election, The New York Times reported Thursday.

...background from Liz Cheney statements last Thursday:

"....I'm going to describe a few of the details now of some of the actions taken by a gentleman named Kenneth Chesebro after the electoral college met and cast their votes on December 14th. Actually the day before they met, Kenneth Chesebro sent a memo to Rudy Giuliani, the President's lead outside counsel. Mr. Chesebro wrote to Mayor Giuliani that the Vice President is charged with quote, "Making judgments about what to do if there are conflicting votes," close quote.

Mr. Chesebro wrote that when the joint session of Congress got to Arizona in the alphabetical list of states, the Vice President should not count the Biden votes, quote, "Because there are two slates of votes." His justification which we will learn more about in our next hearing was that a group of Trump supporters in Arizona and other swing states decided to proclaim themselves the true electors for the state, creating two sets of electors: the official electors selected by the state and a group of fake electors.

This document was ordered to be produced to the select committee by a federal district court judge. As you will see on the screen shortly, Judge David Carter wrote, quote, "The draft memo pushed a strategy that knowingly violated the Electoral Count Act." The judge concluded that quote, "The memo is both intimately related to and clearly advanced the plan to obstruct the joint session of Congress on January 6th, 2021." A few days later, Professor John Eastman took up this cause."

Eastman was at the time a law professor at Chapman University Law School. He prepared a memo outlining the nonsensical theory that the Vice President could decide the outcome of the election at the joint session of Congress on January 6th. You will see portions of this memo on the screen. In the first line he wrote, quote, "Seven states have transmitted dual slates of electors to the President of the Senate." But Dr. Eastman goes on to rely on those so-called dual slates of electors to say that Vice President Pence could simply declare President Trump the winner of the 2020 election.

Cheney to Jacob (attorney for VP Mike Pence)
Mr. Jacob, were there in fact dual slates of electors from seven states?

GREG JACOB:

No, there were not.

LIZ CHENEY:

And just a few days after that, Dr. Eastman wrote another memo.

This one quote, "Wargaming out several scenarios." He knew the outcome he wanted and he saw a way to go forward if he simply pretended that fake electors were real. You will see that memo up on the screen now. Here Dr. Eastman says the Vice President can reject the Biden electors from the states that he calls quote, "Disputed." Under several of the scenarios, the Vice President could ultimately just declare Donald Trump the winner regardless of the vote totals that had already been certified by the states.

However, this was false and Dr. Eastman knew it was false. In other words, it was a lie. In fact, on December 19th, 2020, just four days before Dr. Eastman sent this memo, Dr. Eastman himself admitted in an email that the fake electors had no legal weight, referring to the fake electors as quote, "Dead on arrival in Congress," end quote, because they did not have a certification from their states.

Cheney to Judge Luttig:

Judge Luttig, did the Trump electors in those seven states who were not certified by any state authority have any legal significance?

J. MICHAEL LUTTIG:

Congresswoman, there — there was no support whatsoever and either the Constitution of the United States nor the laws of the United States for the Vice President frankly ever to count alternative electoral slates from the states that had not been officially certified by the designated state official in the Electoral Count Act of 1887. I did notice in the passage from Mr. Eastman's memorandum and I took a note on it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he said in that passage that there was both legal authority as well as historical precedent.

I do know what Mr. Eastman was referring to when he said that there was historical precedent for doing so. He was incorrect. There was no historical precedent from the beginning of the founding in 1789 that even as mere historical precedent as distinguished from legal precedent would support the possibility of the Vice President of the United States quote, "Counting alternative electoral slates that had not been officially certified to the Congress pursuant to the Electoral Count Act of 1887." I would be glad to explain that historical precedent if the committee wanted, but it — it would be a digression.

Here's every word of the third Jan. 6 committee hearing on its investigation
Well once again those are the opinions of the witness and were not subjected to cross examination or the submission of conflicting opinions, this at best is a flawed way to hold a trial which is what is being attempted here.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He hasn’t been found guilty because he hasn’t yet been indicted or tried. But it’s coming. He won’t escape his day of reckoning.
Every attempt so far has fallen flat on its face, some very embarrassingly for those who tried to make the case. It is not like every attempt has not been made to make a case against him and still there is nothing, that should tell us something.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If Eastman requested a pardon, he knew he was guilty of a crime.
Good thing our criminal justice system does not work that way because the courts have held time and time again that invoking the fifth is not and will not be construed as an admission of guilt, I believe they clearly teach that in high school civics class.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well once again those are the opinions of the witness and were not subjected to cross examination or the submission of conflicting opinions, this at best is a flawed way to hold a trial which is what is being attempted here.

It's a congressional hearing, not a trial. In any case, what specific issue do you have with the opinion expressed by Judge Luttig?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Every attempt so far has fallen flat on its face, some very embarrassingly for those who tried to make the case. It is not like every attempt has not been made to make a case against him and still there is nothing, that should tell us something.

As the man said, stand back and stand by. :wave:

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Trump campaign documents give inside look at fake-elector plan
The shifting internal explanations over whether the elector strategy could be considered legitimate was typified in two emails sent in late December by Eastman, a constitutional law professor who was a leading proponent of the idea. In an email sent on Dec. 19 to a California activist with whom Eastman exchanged periodic notes about the election, Eastman wrote that the electors would be “dead on arrival in Congress.” His reasoning — no state legislature had acted to certify them as valid.

Just four days later, however, Eastman wrote to other Trump advisers that he believed Pence could indeed recognize the Trump electors on Jan. 6, apparently despite their lack of state legislative certification. “The fact that we have multiple slates of electors demonstrate the uncertainty of either. That should be enough,” he wrote.

(Sounds like 'Let's sow confusion, and then throw up our hands and say, the situation is confused!')

“John — what would you think of producing a legal memo outlining the constitutional role of state legislators in designating electors?” conservative activist Cleta Mitchell, another lawyer advising Trump’s team

The notion that state legislatures could choose electors in defiance of voters would be a radical one in modern American history. But the documents show Trump strategists quickly began to pursue the theory, especially as lawyers for the campaign and allied groups racked up losses in court cases that they had urged judges to hear expeditiously, before the electors could meet.

Tuesday’s hearing will also focus on those efforts [to get state legislatures to play ball], committee members have said, featuring live testimony from Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, his colleague Gabriel Sterling and Arizona House Speaker Rusty Bowers (R).

--
[After Biden's election]

“Tell us in layman’s language, what the heck happened with the dual electors? Please?” read the email, which was from a person whose name is redacted in a version released publicly.

In his response, Eastman admitted the facts: The electors never had legal standing.

“No legislature certified them [because governors refused to call them into session], so they had no authority,” he wrote.

“Alas,” he concluded.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a congressional hearing, not a trial. In any case, what specific issue do you have with the opinion expressed by Judge Luttig?
I just stated my objection and yes they are trying to make the public believe that this is some kind of trial and that they have solid evidence all of which is untrue.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As interesting as all that might be Trump did nothing illegal in these or any other cases.
It is weird a post asks for evidence for my previous claims only to change the subject to something I never wrote when that evidence is provided. Why ask for evidence in the first place if it is just going to be ignored?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just stated my objection and yes they are trying to make the public believe that this is some kind of trial and that they have solid evidence all of which is untrue.

You did not state your objection to the matter at hand: The Trump Administration was behind a plan to have false electors represent the voters will in their respective states - including mine. That is a crime as we will see in the coming months.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You did not state your objection to the matter at hand: The Trump Administration was behind a plan to have false electors represent the voters will in their respective states - including mine. That is a crime as we will see in the coming months.
How can it be a crime in the coming months, I think we need to wait for the facts before we decide what is or is not a crime, wanting it to be a crime does not make it one.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can it be a crime in the coming months, I think we need to wait for the facts before we decide what is or is not a crime, wanting it to be a crime does not make it one.

...coming months refers to actions by the DOJ and/or state AG's.

Upvote 0

Deviant Writer

I choose the World. I choose the Flesh.
Sep 18, 2015
Michigan
✟77,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Kind of like Biden winning the 2020 election.

Upvote 0