New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are dog sitting a very big goofy girl dog for a week. Now my two 7-yr-old, boy dogs act depressed; one hardly eats now. Lots of laying down flat and not moving much. The big goofy girl isn’t alpha-like. She’s decidedly dim really and just wants to play and be loved. We keep trying to reassure our dogs but they act like there is no point now. They will not play with her a all. What gives?

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahhh... Well, it's probably as you suspect - they just need to be reassured you still love them and that they aren't being "put out to pasture" so to speak. Maybe some extra walks or activities with just them could bring their moods around. Bit of a difficult balance, I know, because you don't want to simply ignore the other dog - but your dogs need to know they're still #1.

Dogs are so "in the moment" that they can [generally] forget very quickly, and forgive just as fast. Worst case? It's just a week. After the other dog is gone, my guess is there'll be a short period of "Are they bringing in another one?" and when that passes, they'll be back to their usual selves in no time. :thumbsup:

Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We are dog sitting a very big goofy girl dog for a week. Now my two 7-yr-old, boy dogs act depressed; one hardly eats now. Lots of laying down flat and not moving much. The big goofy girl isn’t alpha-like. She’s decidedly dim really and just wants to play and be loved. We keep trying to reassure our dogs but they act like there is no point now. They will not play with her a all. What gives?
I do not have dogs, but this sounds like a hierarchial system being violated. Dog norms not being respected. And your dogs abiding by your hierarchy, where you are their leader. So you must put the dog in place. Control it more. The new dog is younger than yours, right? Then it should be submissive to your other dogs regardless of size. Especially since it is on their turf. Sounds like the other dog has not been socialized with other dogs before.

• Informative
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not have dogs, but this sounds like a hierarchial system being violated. Dog norms not being respected. And your dogs abiding by your hierarchy, where you are their leader. So you must put the dog in place. Control it more. The new dog is younger than yours, right? Then it should be submissive to your other dogs regardless of size. Especially since it is on their turf. Sounds like the other dog has not been socialized with other dogs before.
I could see that. Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: mindfulzen
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whatever the case, I think my dogs are in a state of shock that this big, happy dog was allowed in the family circle. Change is tough. I've actually had to sleep on the sofa because my dogs do not like her coming into our bedroom where their dog beds are. I made her her own pallet in the living room but she wants in the bedroom. Yeah, this new dog is not well socialized. She is an only dog, lol.

• Prayers
Reactions: Subdood
Upvote 0