Does your church fellowship have any unique traditions?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I realize this is a Fellowship sub, and I'd ask anyone participating here to keep that in mind too. This question is not trying to extract information from folks who adhere to a different creed than we do and tell them they are wrong about it. It's meant to be fun and refreshing.

Bearing that last statement in mind, I'm curious what unique or fun traditions your fellowship may have. Doesn't necessarily have to be something that's done during the service, could be a fellowship event or the like.

VBS is fun, but most churches do a VBS of some sort or fashion, so this question is meant to be for things more unique than VBS.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do not know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, but it reflects different tradition as to fellowship. For most of my adult life I was part of a denomination that was somewhat informal on its way to becoming very informal. Practice there was that gathering prior to worship was like going home for Thanksgiving dinner...with warm greetings, slaps on the back, hugs, laughter, handshakes, and talk while waiting for the feast to begin. Then I joined a high church Anglican parish. There the tradition was that one enters silently, kneels to pray, then sits silently centering oneself while waiting on worship to begin so as not to disturb others' praying. There is minimal interaction between parishioners, save maybe for a subtle nod of the head, until midway through the service at the passing of the peace. But, we make up for it on the tail end of the service with Coffee Hour, which is nearly sacramental. I developed clear preferences for one over the other, although which is not relevant for this thread.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I hope I understand it correctly.
First Corinthians chapter 3 clearly states, apostates formed denominations and broke away from the foundation of christ.
In deuteronomy chapter 31, Moses tells us in lattter times, they will corrupt themselves. Some churches allowed heathen traditions to infiltrate them. Teaching traditions of men and false doctrine.
I'm not knocking churches down.
Amos chapter 8 tells us, we're in time of famine. It's hearing God's truth.
There's few decent churches left.
Some churches just want to meet the monthly attendance and water down God's word, to keep the congregation content.
Many Christian people are spiritually dead, biblically illiterate.
Hebrews chapter 5 . The congregation should be teachers of God's word after 20 years. Forty or sixty years later, their still spirtualty dead.
In deuteronomy chapter 31 Moses told us what would happen.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We have been going through Luke recently chapter by chapter. First a chapter is read and then people raise points that stand out to them. For example recently someone pointed out in the Prodigal son that the brother is told that everything the father has is his. This implies that the returning son has no more claim on the father's property. It is a way to "discover" many small but interesting points that may have been overlooked in past readings.

Upvote 0