Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don’t agree that is the intent of the op. Only that he didn’t like it which is what your agreeing with.
I disagree with your guess.

And "intent of the OP" is not the same thing as my saying that something was "suggested in the OP."

Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My church has a service just for Middle-School and High-School kids. They seem very focused on making worship fun, which I guess is not a bad thing. Most of the songs they pick for worship are very upbeat and the worship leaders will often encourage everyone to jump up and down or bang their head (like they do at rock concerts). I am not used to this style of worship, but I don't want to say it's bad or wrong just cause I don't like it. All that matters is that we worship in spirit and truth, right? I'd like to hear what you guys think about this.
No I don't think it does matter,as long as you like your church.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My church has a service just for Middle-School and High-School kids. They seem very focused on making worship fun, which I guess is not a bad thing. Most of the songs they pick for worship are very upbeat and the worship leaders will often encourage everyone to jump up and down or bang their head (like they do at rock concerts). I am not used to this style of worship, but I don't want to say it's bad or wrong just cause I don't like it. All that matters is that we worship in spirit and truth, right? I'd like to hear what you guys think about this.

Does the style of worship matter? Only that it be truly in spirit and in truth worshiping of God.

Worship doesn't have to be any set way, though it's very good for believers to share in communion together periodically, to remember Christ's sacrifice for us, and experience the power of it in communion.

------
(perhaps some small minority of churches, some minority of show-me penecostal of other like might some need to learn and apply 1 Cor 14, but generally most types of churches in America are more in danger of the opposite problem, which would be to tamp down the spirit instead of letting the spirit guide:
1 Thessalonians 5:19 Do not extinguish the Spirit.)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having said the above response, though I do wonder if you could give us an example of a song they use. Pretty much any song used will be on YouTube also.

Here's an example that came to mind for me (from a kid's VBS album actually, but I found the video) --

For example (just picking a Christian Rock song example): Just Say Jesus
I have heard just the studio version:
STUDIO VERSION:

Lemme see if I can find a live version.
Here's one live version (starts slow but then gets into rock):

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just for the sake of discussion I think it is worth pointing out too that we are talking about musical worship here, but worship in general extends far outside of music. Basically anything we do with the aim to glorify God is worship. That could be changing the oil, going for a run, playing with your dog, singing a hymn, having a meal with friends, etc. Worship is a response to what God has done for us.

There is a great book called Worship Matters by Bob Kauflin on this topic that I would highly recommend for anyone wanting to dig into this further.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like that first song, and the lyrics seem fine. Listening and reading the lyrics, all these 3 seem good. Assuming the kids have already gotten the gospel message, truly, and are converted, then these songs are about God's love in our hearts, and that's fine. They will need more than only the songs of course, to learn more of the messages in the New Testament, over time, and a good pastor will teach them more.

Here's another song from the last group you posted (the 3rd), though, I think you may like to hear --

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't quite follow this. What about worshipping God is "limiting worship?"

Anyway, I don't see it as an either/or proposition, and most worship services also have a sermon, no matter what the denomination is. But when the service being described is made out to be exclusively fun or else fun with information about God, etc. I wonder if it may have gone too far in that direction.

The OP does not say there was no message.

A lot of denominations (and "non-denominations") have a specific period of the service named "worship" on the program where the singing and other exhortations occur before the message. I suspect that specific period of the service is what the OP is referring to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suspect worship style matters a whole lot more to me it does to God. Just a suspicion.

Having been a member of a number of different kinds of congregations--all within the Nicene Creed--during my active duty military career, I've found that to be true.

Having been able to discern the Holy Spirit in everything from country gospel to rap styles (neither of which I personally like), I've learned that the Holy Spirit is a lot less particular than I am.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The OP described a service that was meant to be fun. While some churches do also mix fun, as described, with some sort of sermon, that was not part of the OP and the question remains as to whether this sort of service is much of a "worship" service.

So...does the style of the service matter? It may. That's certainly fair to say.

Upvote 0

kbee125

Dec 6, 2012
✟17,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OP does not say there was no message.

A lot of denominations (and "non-denominations") have a specific period of the service named "worship" on the program where the singing and other exhortations occur before the message. I suspect that specific period of the service is what the OP is referring to.

That is correct. The sermon is after worship.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been to youth services in which there was an actual message by an actual pastor in rap style. The message itself was a genuine solid sermon...just rapped rather than spoken.

Here is someone from my church who does good work in that vein. I'm no fan of the style, but I see how it is effective for youth today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, given all the detail provided, nothing wrong with that music or service style. I think content matters more than type of music. A well constructed set can go through songs of exuberant praise, theological teaching (or reinforcement) and reverent worship and be done in almost any music style.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will say a service's scripture, sermon, and music need to be part of an integrated whole. They should compliment each other and not be separate disparate parts. Leastwise in my opinion.

Generally speaking, they are all selected and accomplished according to a pre-determined program.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ONLY way we can truly know God and be able to worship Him is through His "...beloved Son" ---the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God. All other religious ceremonies and activities contrary to Holy Scripture is of man's innovations, I see. Let us beware of the deceit of Satan in religious innovations. I find the best summary of the mind of God for knowing, obeying, and pleasing Him is found in John 14 and such as Romans 5; etc. THEN we can truly worship in holiness. See what God shows you there! Keep looking up daily.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ONLY way we can truly know God and be able to worship Him is through His "...beloved Son" ---the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God. All other religious ceremonies and activities contrary to Holy Scripture is of man's innovations, I see. Let us beware of the deceit of Satan in religious innovations. I find the best summary of the mind of God for knowing, obeying, and pleasing Him is found in John 14 and such as Romans 5; etc. THEN we can truly worship in holiness. See what God shows you there! Keep looking up daily.

Absolutely. Let's all go back to Gregorian chants. None of that innovative stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0