Does the Pope Really Aprrove Spanking Children?

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The point is that pain teaches "No" quite effectively; especially in those who lack the capacity for to fully understand or reason their way to an answer.

Too many people today treat children like little adults; bowing to their demands and expecting them to understand as an adult can, but a child needs "simpler" until they are able to understand "complex".

A slap on the wrist does not mean "dad is dangerous".
There you go again, preaching common sense. You dinosaur!

Props for hanging in there, but you realize you're wasting your time, right? There is no rational discussion to be had here.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There you go again, preaching common sense. You dinosaur!

Props for hanging in there, but you realize you're wasting your time, right? There is no rational discussion to be had here.

What can I say, I'm optimist. :D

Upvote 0

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
I think I'll stick with the Catholic sources I trust, over a message board poster. Good night now.

That'd work if I thought I'd just given you my opinion without justifying it, but since I did, you have no grounds for that silliness. If you want to call what I said a "twisting" of the translation, then you've gone beyond "sticking with the sources" that you trust by actively judging my own translation. But you don't have the tools to make that judgment, hence you should find someone who can, if you really do want to say that I don't know what I'm talking about. Would you care, though, to explain how you think that your trusted sources would translate the word picchiare "spank," when the father in the story says "but not on the face"? Has the notion of spanking become more general in the time I've been gone?

Reading the Italian newspapers on this has been rather intense. You might also be interested to know that the story of the father was off the prepared text - i.e. he chose himself the words that he used. In any case, like I said to Fantine, the point is that he's striking (no pun intended) a balance between absenteeism and autocracy, not advocating a particular punishment per se.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That'd work if I thought I'd just given you my opinion without justifying it, but since I did, you have no grounds for that silliness. If you want to call what I said a "twisting" of the translation, then you've gone beyond "sticking with the sources" that you trust by actively judging my own translation. But you don't have the tools to make that judgment, hence you should find someone who can, if you really do want to say that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Reading the Italian newspapers on this has been rather intense.
Last post on this because it's become a stupid argument.
Sorry, I've bounced around several credible Catholic web sites, and you translation is wrong. None of them agree with you. I 'll trust them.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The headline, it feels to me to be misleading, of what the Pope was saying.

Spanking was made illegal in my country, when my own parents were still children. Parents still discipline, and punish, of course. They do not use corporal punishment, no.

I think, what he said, about the importance of fathers, was very true. Very nice. I wish, that had been the focus, instead of spanking.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
No, ongoing recall

Or are you unable to remember how sticking your hand in a flame really hurt and so will do it again and again and again?
Funnily enough I've put my hand through a flame without it hurting far more times than with it hurting.

The only thing I can recall having learned by being hurt is "if you stand in a tight corner it stops your mum getting a good swing at your legs".

Upvote 0

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
Sorry, I've bounced around several credible Catholic web sites, and you translation is wrong. None of them agree with you. I 'll trust them.

Fine by me if this is your last post, but you if you ever feel like asking yourself "would I ever call hitting a child on the mouth 'spanking on the face'?" it may help you come to a clearer idea of what Francis said; since that would have to be the case, if the very poor translation you referenced were correct. You don't need to know Italian to understand that.

There's a word for "spank," and he didn't use it; get over it.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For a man who keeps trying to spread world peace and fighting abortion, I don't see how he could agree. But I want to see his actual quote about the subject.

You might want to go look for the actual quote. I recommend this anytime someone questions what the Pope actually said. Don't be so lazy about it. The context is very important.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me put my cards on the table. As I’ve written before, my own conviction is that the issue of corporal punishment is one for parents to decide. I have known some parents who have successfully raised children using it seldom or never. I also know there are parents who feel it has played an important and needed role in raising their children...
What exactly did Pope Francis say about spanking your kids?

Upvote 0