NW England
✟1,057,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter is the head of the universal church!

He might be for you.
For me, it's Jesus.
So you can be born again with baptism?

No.
A person is born again by the Holy Spirit. Once they have been born again they will no doubt want to get baptised.
But baptism doesn't make anyone born again. JWs and Mormons baptise, and they deny some of the Christian faith. Someone could go through adult baptism, not really believing, but because they think it will save them/keep someone else happy.

Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus is the head of the church and the king and the one and only mediator but he ascended to heaven and appointed Peter the apostles and their successors in His absence to govern the church, to teach, and to sanctify!
Peter is the head of the church on earth!

Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Context of “born again” Jn 3:5

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,057,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter is alive in heaven! Peter and the apostles and their successors!

Jesus is still head of the church, Colossians 1:18.
Peter is in heaven - you just said so; Jesus is here, with us, beside us, in us. He is the head of ALL things.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Progression of the Covenants!

Adam:

(Marriage covenant)

Noah:

(Family covenant)

Abraham:

(Tribal covenant)

Moses:

(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:

(Universal covenant)

Yes and no to your question. Yes, the church is Catholic, meaning "universal." No, the church is not all Catholic, meaning tied to the Roman Catholic Church.

The covenants you list should be described as follows:

The one you have for Adam isn't really a covenant, in which God promises blessings and humans respond promising to follow his ways. The one to Noah is with all creation that God won't bring a universal flood. However, no human response is mentioned, only implied.

All the other agreements are really one covenant given to Abraham (Genesis 12, 15, 17) with God's promises and expected human obedience. That same covenant takes on national form at Sinai and international form through Jesus Christ for the members of God's church, who are Abraham's children, according to Paul in Romans 4 and Galatians 3.

Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
There’s still a lesson there!

there is only one church!

Four Marks of the True Church founded by Christ on Peter, the apostles, and their successors!

One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church!

The Church is One:

John 10:16 there shall be one fold and one shepherd.

John 17:17-23 may be one as we are one.

Ephesians 4:4-6 There is one body, one Spirit... one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and

one God and Father of us all.

1 Corinthians 1:10 I appeal to you... that there be no dissensions among you, but that

you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.

Philippians 2:2 be of same the mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of

one mind.

Romans 12:5: so we, who are many, are one body in Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:13 by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body.

Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were

called in the one body.

The Church is Holy:

1 Timothy 3:15 know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

Colossians 1:18 And he [Jesus] is the head of the body, the church.

1 Peter 2:9-10 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people

belonging to God... Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God.

Ephesians 2:19-22 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow

citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

The Church is Catholic: (universal)

Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

Mark 16:15-16 And he said to them, Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

John 16:12-13 I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them

now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

The Church is Apostolic:

 Ephesians 2:19-20: “... but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,”

 Matthew 16:18-10: “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

 Luke 22:28-30: “You [the apostles] are those who have continued with me in my trials;

and I assign to you, as my Father assigned to me, a kingdom, that you may eat and drink

at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”

 John 15:16: “You [the apostles] did not choose me, but I [Jesus] chose you and appointed

you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide...”

 Matthew 28:16,18-20: “Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee... And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore

and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.”

 John 20:21-23: “Jesus said to them [the apostles] again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Peter is the head of the universal church!
Mt 16:18

No, Jesus is.

Matthew 16:18 has nothing to do with Peter being made head of the Church, but everything to do with Peter's confession of faith.

"'And I say unto you, you are Peter, and upon this rock will I build My Church;' that is, on the faith of his confession." - St. John Chrysostom, Homily 54 on Matthew

"In this book* I spoke, in a certain passage, of the apostle Peter, that 'on him, just as on a rock, was the church established.' The sentiment of this statement is also sung in the mouths of many in the verses of the most blessed Ambrose, in which he says, concerning the crowing [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]: 'When the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crowed, the rock of the church washes away his guilt;' but I know that afterwards I very frequently explained as follows what the Lord said: 'Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will construct My church;' as follows: 'Upon this' means on Him whom Peter confessed saying: 'Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.' And thus Peter, designated by this rock, plays the role of the church which is built on this rock and which has received keys of the kingdom of heaven. For what was said was not 'Thou art a rock,' but 'Thou art Peter.' Now the rock was Christ, and Simon acknowledged it, just as the whole church also acknowledges it, and was called Peter. However, the reader may choose which of these two notions is the more plausible." - St. Augustine of Hippo, The Retractations, Ch. XX, 2

*Contra Epistolam Donati

So we see here the Holy Fathers designate the Rock of the Church to be Christ, and the true faith and confession of the Apostles, that He is the Christ, the Son of God. It is upon this foundation that the Church catholic rests--not upon the mere frail person of St. Peter.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus is the head of the church but Peter and His successors are the head of the church on earth, governing the church in Christ’s absence! Is 22 prime minister held the keys under the king!

Jesus mt 23 obey the successors acts f Moses! They had the keys and power to bind and loose now given to Peter the apostles and their successors Jesus still says to obey those who have the keys

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟911,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Progression of the Covenants!

Adam:

(Marriage covenant)

Noah:

(Family covenant)

Abraham:

(Tribal covenant)

Moses:

(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:

(Universal covenant)
Catholicism is a denomination not "The Church". "The Church" is the Body of Christ. It encompasses those who's names are written in the Book of Life. Be blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,057,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus will always be the head of the church, the kingdom of God, He is the king, but the prime minister holds the keys of the kingdom and governs the kingdom under the king! Is 22 mt 16:18

If you're saying that the Catholic church is the only church, other denominations aren't and we are not saved outside of the catholic church - you're wrong.

Peter wasn't head of the church in Jerusalem, James was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟924,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes the church should be universal because God promised eternal life to ALL who believe not just to the Jews, not just to the Catholics or Orthodox, or Protestants but to ALL. God's sheep come from EVERY tribe, nation, and language as vast as the stars in the sky NOT just to the Catholic church (Genesis 15:5, Revelation 5:9, Genesis 22:18)

I'm getting a little sick of my fellow Protestant brothers and other children of Abraham stating that salvation is only for them and stating that there's no way a Hun for example could be saved, even though God promised salvation to ALL nations. Im sorry guys, I believe God.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟151,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
one true church founded by Christ has always taught!

The one true church that Christ founded got the word out and continued his ministry as Christ commanded they do.

And false doctrine is any belief that's found not to be biblical.

You keep refusing to answer the simplest questions. I have a couple of more for you. Do you believe as Christ taught that he has foretold us all things through his word?

And do you believe the disciples/apostles accomplished what he taught them to by spreading the word and giving us the gospels, etc?

Again, pairing what they gave us with the OT, we have everything we need to succeed as the many membered body of Christ.

And yes, God has gifted people that can teach, etc. But you have to line up what they say with what's written in the bible. If it's not there, it's false doctrine. So why would we obey anything that goes against what's written in the bible? That's not the way you feed the sheep, it's the opposite.

I left my church for that very reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟893,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And luthers coven with Satan against the truth!

but that’s another subject called the “great conspiracy” or the “great rebellion”!

began with the fall of Lucifer and his angels and continues to this very day!

constantly rebelling against God and all things ordained by God!

I think there’s a big difference in teaching the gospel and teaching doctrines. Even the Catholic Church has had their share of differences in opinion on doctrines but still the gospel itself remains the same.

Upvote 0