Does Sin Consciousness Rule The Church ? (moved from Spirit-Filled/Charismatic)

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

You speak much of 'grace', but I can't help but wonder how deep is your understanding of it ...

... for is it not God's Grace, when a believer is able to recognize and confess his sin and turn from his sin and return again toward God?

I surely believe it is. :)

Sin and it's consciousness has dominion under law, not grace, Rom 6:14.

Here ia ample substantiation to my point.

It says sin will have dominion under law in Rom 6:14, the law was added to increase the trespass in Rom 5:20, not take it away, sinful passions were by law in Rom 7:5, sin used the command in 7:8 and 7:11, sin is dead apart from the law, APART, from the law in 7:8 meaning that sin comes alive under law, the power of sin is the law 1 Cor 15:56. They were shut up under sin, and law, Gal 3:22-23 showing the law prison and, the conjunction of sin and law is now clear.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sin and it's consciousness has dominion under law, not grace, Rom 6:14.

So, according to you, to be conscious of one's sin is legalistic?

I couldn't disagree more.

To be unconscious of one's sins indicates to me that one is spiritually blind.

And the cause of such spiritual blindness? Well, one might be ignorant of sin, or perhaps very naïve about spiritual things, but in many cases the one that is blind to sin has a conscience that has been seared.

None of those will be a state desired by any child of God.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the thing to remember here is where does the remembrance of sin come from?

And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. Therefore, rejoice, O heavens and you who dwell in them! But woe to you, O earth and sea, for the devil has come down to you in great wrath, because he knows that his time is short!” (Revelation 12:10, 12 ESV)

Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. (Zechariah 3:1 ESV)

Satan clearly is the one that accuses us and reminds us of our sin.

God said He would never remember our sins again, completely forgiven.

as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12 ESV)

Behold, it was for my welfare that I had great bitterness; but in love you have delivered my life from the pit of destruction, for you have cast all my sins behind your back. (Isaiah 38:17 ESV)

“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins. (Isaiah 43:25 ESV)

He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities underfoot. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:19 ESV)

When you are reminded of how sinful you are/were that is Satan coming at you... Not God making you feel bad for your past. God justified all who believe completely, set us free from our sins, imputed His righteousness to us in Jesus who lives in us. So we should not allow ourselves to dwell on our past and sin, but rather on our place in Christ. (Romans 8:5-8, 15-17; Col 3:1-3; Phil 4:8; 2 Cor 10:5)

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. (Romans 8:5, 6, 15-17 ESV)

For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (2 Corinthians 5:21 ESV)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
1. Still being nagged in ones conscience about past sins.
2. Am I really saved(will I lose it).
3. Dreading the judgement
4. No peace with God (I,m unworthy, going on for decades).
5. Jealousy toward other believers blessings.
6. Quick to find fault with people(judgemental)

Grace to you.

1) yes . that's what sermons are for .
2) some traditions
3) 1/3 of congregations in any given tradition
4) if taught to be under the law/bible
5) related to #4
6) related to #4

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
so what was sin consciousness? i'm not sure if i received an answer? i wanted to ensure i was responding based on your definition .

It's really simple, Michael ... :)

When one is 'sin consciousness' it means that they know and believe that there is such a thing as sin and that man, saved or not, is capable of committing sin.

It is not a 'bad thing' or 'legalistic' to be conscious of sin.

As a matter of fact, the Holy Spirit is 'sin conscious'. Sin grieves Him:

"And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption."
~ Ephesians 4:30

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

When one is 'sin consciousness' it means that they know and believe that there is such a thing as sin and that man, saved or not, is capable of committing sin.

"And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption."

the reason i asked was because Paul personified sin in one of his letters as something living inside his body making himself do what he would rather not

so on that level the question appeared to be asking .. is the church .. being ruled by the sin indwelling its members? but that was not what the OP meant . thus my previous response .

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

no one here has denied sin exists... not that I've read. they are only saying we shouldn't dwell on sin, what is so wrong with saying take your stance upon Christ and God's grace not who you used to be? I dont understand your logic...

What about my post above? Satan clearly is the accuser, not God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Folks ...
There is a huge difference between 'sin consciousness' and 'sin obsession'.

Sin obsession is wrong.

On the other hand, it is nothing short of heresy for anyone to promote 'sin unconsciousness' as the Christian way of life.

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

Sin consciousness could be

1. You are conscious of your own sin
2. You are conscious of others sin and you are obligated to bring everyone else into realization that they are sinners and need to stop.

I think that #2 seems to rule the church, but #1 should.

I think some Christian's think Christ is letting a bunch of sinner's into heaven and are not happy. :sorry:

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

Folks ...
There is a huge difference between 'sin consciousness' and 'sin obsession'.

Sin obsession is wrong.

On the other hand, it is nothing short of heresy for anyone to promote 'sin unconsciousness' as the Christian way of life.

No one promotes sin unconsciousness.

Why I would need a human being on this forum to help me be conscious of my sin is the question? The Holy Spirit convicts me of my sin.

Is God not capable of keeping my sin in check? According to some here, God tells them, to tell us that we need to sin less. So these beloved brothers or sisters in Christ put all people in the same unrepentive sin bucket. In this sin bucket, ALL do this and ALL do that.

All is one of those words that are either true or false. All is either all or it is not. Most people that use 'all' a lot, don't understand the beauty of the creation of each person, created by God to be an individual. Given different experiences, strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums