Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Now you show ignorance of the subject. I had more hope in you.

The Greek have a word for hell: Gehenna. It comes from two Hebrew words: (1) gah'ee and (2) hinnôm. Gah'ee meas a gorge or a deep valley. Hinnôm is a person's name. Together we have the "valley of Hinnôm." This is understood in Jewish culture to be a place of eternal punishment. Now I will grant you that there are sects in Judaism as well (like our denominations you can say) and some describe this slightly differently. In some of the less extreme it would be more like the Catholic Purgatory: where the deceased would spend up to 11 months having sin purged from their soul.

The valley of Hinnôm is a real place, just outside of Jerusalem it was basically a garbage dump. In this dump fires burned continuously, burning the garbage. They would dump the bodies of the poor there, cremating them for burial. This would be considered dishonorable to be buried in this way. This dump was used as an analogy for the eternal place of death where your body would be burned forever, the fires never stopping.

Even if we look to the Gospels we see Jesus teaching Gehenna. Why? Because to some respect the Gospels are still part of the OT. Jesus had not yet gone to the cross in the Gospels, and His message is delivered to the Jews. And in Matthew and Mark it is shown that He teaches about hell through the analogy of Gehenna. The only other book in the New Testament where Gehenna is mentioned is James -- and James is written to the 12 tribes of Israel; in other words to Jews. The Jews understood the eternal relationship of what Gehenna meant.

Have you ever heard of Mourners' Kiddish? It is a prayer of praise to God in hopes of securing Mercy for the dead who are in Gehenna. This prayer is prayed to try to save loved ones from having to stay "in an eternal place of torture and punishment, fire and brimstone." (Heaven and Hell in Jewish Tradition, Rabbi Or N. Rose, Associate Dean of the Rabbinical School of Hebrew College, Newton, MA).

Thanks for the history lesson, I wasn't aware of many of those things. It's fascinating to hear how some of the religious ideas came about.

I looked into a lot of Jewish sites prior to answering your past thread, but finding no reference to eternal torture, and plenty of clear statements from Jews that they don't believe in eternal punishment of any kind. One of the most descriptive write-ups I found was:

---

"Jews do not believe in Hell, because by definition, Hell is the place for the ETERNAL punishment of the soul, in the next life, for the sins committed in this life. Although Judaism certainly believes in a punishment in the next life for the sins committed in this life, Jews do not believe in Hell because we believe Gd to be forgiving, compassionate, and merciful. So, the idea of an ETERNAL punishment makes Gd look Cruel, and prevents us from believing in a hell.

Every time in the Christian translation of the Hebrew Scriptures the text reads, 'hell,' it is a bad translation. The word usually MIStranslated this way is the Hebrew word, 'Sheol,' which comes from the same word meaning 'question', and so 'Sheol' is 'the Unknown.'

By the way, please note that the verse from Ecclesiastes reads:::

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to
the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return
unto Gd who gave it.

It says, 'the spirit returns to Gd,' not the 'Good Spirit,' and not even 'the Jewish Spirit.' Jews do not believe that only Jews go to heaven.

Furthermore, if 'the dust returns to dust,' meaning that the physical ends, how can the tortures of a Christian hell be only physical, when there is no body to be tortured??"

---

And yes, it was a Jewish Author who wrote that. I answered with a no comment as I thought you might have something I missed.

That being said, You're still not addressing what I had said. The Gospels are not considered part of the Old Testament, and you're referring to the teachings of Jesus to make your point. Any teachings of Jesus are not relevant to the Jewish Faith. Obviously he was preaching to Jews, however it was never accepted by mainline Judaism.

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Quarks are identified through the actions of Hadrons, which are composites of Quarks. Individual quarks are too small to see, however we can identify through experimentation how they work.
So we use theoretical quantum mechanics, with theoretical particles to "prove" that other theoretical particles exist? Cool. You have faith. Just like me, but in a different thing. (btw, i beleive in quarks too.)

Here's a write up on blood clotting evolution: Evolution of Coagulation Cascade: from Invertebrates to Vertebrates to Mammals ........and to Humans. - DoctorsHangout.com

And a video on how the eye evolved (with Richard Dawkins!): {see Dave's original post for the video}

Hey, I can play this game too:
In Defense of the Irreducibility of the Blood Clotting Cascade:Response to Russell Doolittle, Ken Miller and Keith Robison: Behe, Michael

And Dawkins is an idiot.

...and an agnostic: Career atheist Richard Dawkins admits he is in fact agnostic | Mail Online

...this is fun!!! :o

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
And yes, it was a Jewish Author who wrote that. I answered with a no comment as I thought you might have something I missed.
We both know that we can find many people on ANY side of ANY argument who will say the silliest of things. I'm not sure who your Jewish Author is; my quote was a Rabbi whose career is to study the Hebrew texts. I'd say he has just a little bit of understanding of his subject. (Also let us not forget that there are quite a few sects of Judaism; so differences in after-life beliefs lie there as well.)

That being said, You're still not addressing what I had said. The Gospels are not considered part of the Old Testament, and you're referring to the teachings of Jesus to make your point. Any teachings of Jesus are not relevant to the Jewish Faith. Obviously he was preaching to Jews, however it was never accepted by mainline Judaism.
The Gospels show a Jewish Jesus preaching to a Jewish audience; so I contend that the content is consistent with OT Jewish thought for the most part. Obviously the teachings of Jesus, which were shown over and over to agree with OT scripture, but ruffled the feathers of the Pharisees because it contested their ability to rule, were supportive of OT teachings. After all God does not change. Yes, there were clarifications, but the overall message of God's Love was intact.

The teachings of Jesus were certainly relevant to the Jewish Faith: His message is consistent with OT scripture, especially prophecy. The Jewish audience loved Him for quite a while. It was only in the last days when the Pharisees convinced the crowds that Jesus was speaking blasphemously, claiming to be the Messiah. He was not only accepted -- He taught in the synagogues most of His three year ministry -- but He was loved by all except for the corrupt rulers, who in the end got the crowds to turn on Him.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Actually Gates was agnostic. In an interview with David Frost in 1995 (you can find this with a simple web search) Gates said: "In terms of doing things I take a fairly scientific approach to why things happen and how they happen. I don't know if there's a god or not, but I think religious principles are quite valid."

Does an atheist not know if there is a god? Do you question this fact, Dave? Or are you sure that there is no god? (Perhaps you are agnostic too?)

Actually, going by that statement, yes, he is an Atheist. He may or may not be Agnostic as well, as the two are not mutually exclusive.

However a Theist is someone who has accepted a god claim. An Atheist is someone who has not accepted a god claim. If you don't know if there's a god or not, then you have not accepted a god claim. You are by definition an Atheist... and the vast majority of Atheists fall under this specific category.

I also fall under this category, I can't assert there is no God. I'm open to the possibility one may exist, but given a lack of evidence to show there is one, I can't accept the claim. If evidence comes up that shows God exists, I am open minded to the idea.

But anyway, to your post: what does it matter if most scientists are atheists? (A statement you can't prove, btw.) Does that make God disappear? Gee, perhaps there really is a babel fish and *poof*.....

I'd be going off polls, for example, 93% of the National Academy of Sciences do not believe in a Personal God. Some segments of the scientific community are more or less religious than others... however typically the "higher sciences" (for lack of a better word), like Biology, Physics and whatnot tend to be extremely atheistic.

But absolutely not, just because a bunch of smart people don't believe in God doesn't mean it's not true. But your point had nothing to do with that.

Your point had to do with casting pearls to Atheists, and not accepting the help of an non-believer. I was merely pointing out you are currently using the result of the efforts of many non-believers.

Well one very renown scientist made the collective scientific community's jaw drop when he, Francis Collins, director of the human genome project, turned from atheist to Christian because the very science that he was studying and developing pointed to only one conclusion: it must have been created by a God outside of what we call time--

Francis Collins is indeed a renowned scientist, and contributed much to the study of the Human Genome. However, he also freely admits that his religion is incompatible with science, he rejects intelligent design and admits he believes on faith alone as Science does not support a belief in God or creationism.

I guess this relates in a way to my first response... just because some people are smart, it doesn't mean they're always correct.

The Big Bang: out of nothingness, the universe came into being. That cries out for explanation, since we have not observed nature to create itself . . . it causes us to postulate a creator, and the creator must be outside of time or you haven't solved the problem.

The Big Bang Theory does not state the universe came into being out of nothingness. This is common a misrepresentation among intelligent design advocates.

But oh well. You say most are atheist (unproven); some are not. So what? God still exists. You will deny that. So what? God still exists. And since God created the doctors and the medicine that they use it doesn't matter if we go see them because the "council" that we seek from the (btw, the last doctor I went to was Christian) is not council of faith, but rather council for medicine. Your logic that even if I went to an atheist doctor that I was being inconsistent is flawed from the beginning.

It's not inconsistent at all, because your initial post was about his christian friend accepting council from an Atheist as reason for his business going under. So you clearly meant it in other ways than faith. It's you who are arguing inconsistent points.

And you can't prove God exists either.

And who cares whether Gates is atheist or agnostic. I run bible software on my computer and it has learned from it, and my computer ... is saved?....no, it is still an inanimate object that cannot give me "council" if it tried. And I don't use an iPod, a Mac or an iPad -- so Jobs had no effect on me. But the Windows Phone I use, the Windows operating system I have, and the Microsoft Visual Studio application that I use to write Christian web sites, on which I sell Christian homeschool books ... well, I can't remember the last time I asked any of these things for "ungodly advice." Nope. Your argument falls on its face.

As my above point states... you clearly meant things outside of faith in your original post.

His Christian Friend's business went under because he accepted the help of an Atheist. Well, you're using a product designed by an Atheist to run your business... you're not doing much different than his friend was. Does that mean your business is ultimately doomed too?

We covered it Dave: God created ALL things -- including the iMac and the electrons that run through it and make it work. So in the end, it is all God's anyway. But then again, that makes you inconsistent: you say you are atheist and then use things (ALL things!) that are created by the God that you don't even believe in.

Close your eyes, Dave. Wish Him away. Open....nope, He's still there.
Try it again: hold your breath. Make a wish. Exhale.

He's still there.

You can't prove any god created anything, much less your god.

Making blind assertions and expecting them to have any impact on me is kinda silly to be honest. There is no evidence to support your claims at all, so you may as well be arguing for Zeus. If you actually have evidence, please show it.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So we use theoretical quantum mechanics, with theoretical particles to "prove" that other theoretical particles exist? Cool. You have faith. Just like me, but in a different thing. (btw, i beleive in quarks too.)

They aren't theoretical particles, we can run proper experimentation to know they are there. We can't see air either, does that mean it's theoretical too?

lol, You're quoting a Behe article? His findings have been rejected by the scientific community, and his own university officially published an article opposing his views.

He couldn't even convince his son (Leo Behe) what he said was true... Leo is now an Atheist.

And Dawkins is an idiot.

...and an agnostic: Career atheist Richard Dawkins admits he is in fact agnostic | Mail Online

Dawkins is one of the most respected evolutionary biologists on the planet. It's absolutely hilarious you'd accept Michael Behe and pass over Dawkins. One of the two has evidence and proof for what they say about science... and it's not Behe.

And yes, Dawkins is an Agnostic, as are most Atheists. I'm an Agnostic too in fact.

Atheism is not mutually exclusive with Agnosticism... And Dawkins also happens to be an Atheist... He's quite clear about that in the God Delusion (Both on Atheism and Agnosticism). Why it took the Daily Mail 6 years to figure that out is beyond me.... So yeah, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with this point?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We both know that we can find many people on ANY side of ANY argument who will say the silliest of things. I'm not sure who your Jewish Author is; my quote was a Rabbi whose career is to study the Hebrew texts. I'd say he has just a little bit of understanding of his subject. (Also let us not forget that there are quite a few sects of Judaism; so differences in after-life beliefs lie there as well.)

The Gospels show a Jewish Jesus preaching to a Jewish audience; so I contend that the content is consistent with OT Jewish thought for the most part. Obviously the teachings of Jesus, which were shown over and over to agree with OT scripture, but ruffled the feathers of the Pharisees because it contested their ability to rule, were supportive of OT teachings. After all God does not change. Yes, there were clarifications, but the overall message of God's Love was intact.

The teachings of Jesus were certainly relevant to the Jewish Faith: His message is consistent with OT scripture, especially prophecy. The Jewish audience loved Him for quite a while. It was only in the last days when the Pharisees convinced the crowds that Jesus was speaking blasphemously, claiming to be the Messiah. He was not only accepted -- He taught in the synagogues most of His three year ministry -- but He was loved by all except for the corrupt rulers, who in the end got the crowds to turn on Him.

Wow...

Now you're trying to argue that the message of Jesus constitutes part of the Old Testament to try to make your case? I have to give you credit, that's a new one.

Open up a bible, and find any mention of Jesus in the sections with "Old Testament" at the top of the page. To make it easier, you can also find a Tanakh and do the same thing. If you are successful, come back and we'll argue your point.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
And Dawkins is an idiot.

Quoting the Daily Mail is like quoting Fox News, or WorldNetDaily. Facts are more of an optional extra for them.

This was not news to anyone who had actually read his book, it also fails to take into account the existence of various stances within atheism like strong/weak atheism, which are not synonymous with agnosticism.

This stance of Dawkins had been easily known since at least 2006 when he published it in the God Delusion, so I guess the only idiots are those who think this is news.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Not true.

We also have an omnipotent God. He is capable of things that you could not even imagine: like knowing all things, yet creating without taking that knowledge as a benchmark to the creation. In other words, creating a free will in humans that is truly free and not bound or hindered by the choice that we will make with that free will and not coercing or forcing our choice in the creation process. He's bigger and more powerful than our puny little pea brains can imagine.

If that's true, how can you claim to understand it? Anyway, the above doesn't explain to me how god is not responsible. Any way you cut it, the responsibility lies with god - for everything. He created Lucifer, he created sin, he created the tree and the apple - and he did all this knowing full well how it would turn out. I'm afraid there's no way around this.

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
If that's true, how can you claim to understand it? Anyway, the above doesn't explain to me how god is not responsible. Any way you cut it, the responsibility lies with god - for everything. He created Lucifer, he created sin, he created the tree and the apple - and he did all this knowing full well how it would turn out. I'm afraid there's no way around this.
What do you mean "how it turned out?" Those who love God will spend eternity with Him; those who don't won't. What's the problem?

You blame Him, but it is your choice. (Funny thing is, if I were Calvinistic you would be crying that you have no choice!)

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What do you mean "how it turned out?" Those who love God will spend eternity with Him; those who don't won't. What's the problem?

You blame Him, but it is your choice. (Funny thing is, if I were Calvinistic you would be crying that you have no choice!)

It's because your position is a logical contradiction... Something that knows everything about your life from start to finish can not give you truly free will, as he knows exactly everything you will ever do.

Even if you are left to make your own choices, God knows exactly what choices you will be presented with and how you will respond to them at any point of your life.

That means he must also know if you will not believe in him. He must know this as he creates you. And therefore, he is creating you in a way that will doom you to hell.

It's not a matter of being Calvinistic or not Calvinistic, it's a matter of rational logic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Quoting the Daily Mail is like quoting Fox News, or WorldNetDaily. Facts are more of an optional extra for them.
I apologize. It was late and I found the video.

Two points: (1) we aren't going to prove a point by pulling up a video; Dawkins is an idiot and won't convince me of anything. Let's stick to discussing and supporting with data of why we believe what we do, rather than just pointing at someone else who will say the same thing and then call that proof; and (2) do you argue that I cannot find the same information elsewhere? Dawkins has been recorded saying that he does not know if there is a god and he does not dismiss it, but sides on the side currently that there must not be one. That is agnosticism, not atheism.

This was not news to anyone who had actually read his book, it also fails to take into account the existence of various stances within atheism like strong/weak atheism, which are not synonymous with agnosticism.
I'm sorry but "atheism" means a belief that no deity exists. However you want to subdivide that is up to you and your "denominations." But once the allowance that a deity MAY exist come into play, you are agnostic -- regardless of which "denomination" of agnosticism you choose.

Choose your belief system ... there's a name for that. :p\

This stance of Dawkins had been easily known since at least 2006 when he published it in the God Delusion, so I guess the only idiots are those who think this is news.
No one said it was news. It was only a play on "videos" to show that posting something that says what you say does not constitute proof. We know that Dawkins and Behe have butted heads on these issues -- quoting Dawkins to "prove" the eye could evolve is silly.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
What do you mean "how it turned out?"
Can´t speak for him, but I guess he means how the drama unfolds exactly as god has intended to.
Those who love God will spend eternity with Him; those who don't won't. What's the problem?
If you look at it from the pov of eternity probably none. But I wasn´t aware that moral prescriptions concerned eternity. We are, though, persistently hearing that god has moral problems with those completely earthly issues that he fully knowingly has set in motion himself.
However, if you are arguing from the point that murder, rape, genocide, disaster aren´t problems from gods eternal pov - why is it his alleged moral prescriptions are all about these earthly matters?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

It's because your position is a logical contradiction... Something that knows everything about your life from start to finish can not give you truly free will, as he knows exactly everything you will ever do.

Even if you are left to make your own choices, God knows exactly what choices you will be presented with and how you will respond to them at any point of your life.

That means he must also know if you will not believe in him. He must know this as he creates you. And therefore, he is creating you in a way that will doom you to hell.

It's not a matter of being Calvinistic or not Calvinistic, it's a matter of rational logic.

^ A thousand times, this.

Dave answered pretty much the same as I would've.

There's no other way to slice this conundrum, honestly.

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Actually, going by that statement, yes, he is an Atheist. He may or may not be Agnostic as well, as the two are not mutually exclusive.

However a Theist is someone who has accepted a god claim. An Atheist is someone who has not accepted a god claim. If you don't know if there's a god or not, then you have not accepted a god claim. You are by definition an Atheist... and the vast majority of Atheists fall under this specific category.
No. Absolutely not. An atheist is one who rejects the existence of deities. It comes from the Greek (ἄθεος) which means "without god." What has evolved here is a group of agnostics who like to be called atheist. Agnostic means that there is doubt, or the claim that a thing is unknown or unknowable. You can't have both. Once you entertain the possibility of a god, you are agnostic. I know it doesn't roll off the tongue as fluently as atheist, but a rose is a rose is a rose.

I also fall under this category, I can't assert there is no God. I'm open to the possibility one may exist, but given a lack of evidence to show there is one, I can't accept the claim. If evidence comes up that shows God exists, I am open minded to the idea.
This is different. This does not claim that god may exist, but that you are open to any data (for any postulate probably, not just religion). Gates has taken an agnostic approach claiming that he sees no merit and that he does not know -- that God's existence is unknowable. He does not reject the existence of God.

Your point had to do with casting pearls to Atheists, and not accepting the help of an non-believer. I was merely pointing out you are currently using the result of the efforts of many non-believers.
Actually that was someone else's point. Mine was simply that because my doctor is not a Christian does not mean, to me, that he has nothing to offer -- but I won't seek his advice in spiritual matters.

Francis Collins is indeed a renowned scientist, and contributed much to the study of the Human Genome. However, he also freely admits that his religion is incompatible with science, he rejects intelligent design and admits he believes on faith alone as Science does not support a belief in God or creationism.
Huh? Francis Collins is one of the foremost scientists who is attempting to unify religion with science. He spends much time speaking to theologeans about science, to lukewarm receptions.

He founded the BioLogos foundation. He is one of the most adamant in the compatibility of the two.

The Big Bang Theory does not state the universe came into being out of nothingness. This is common a misrepresentation among intelligent design advocates.
I won't argue this point. To me, if God can be infinite, then in an atheist world why can't energy? Collapse...Bang...Collapse...Bang.

It's not inconsistent at all, because your initial post was about his christian friend accepting council from an Atheist as reason for his business going under. So you clearly meant it in other ways than faith. It's you who are arguing inconsistent points.
Again, you have me confused with another poster. My posts simply said that it is not a contradiction to get advice on whatever their specialty is -- just not theology.

If you actually have evidence, please show it.
Look around you. We exist. Even Dawkins has a hard time with the universal constants that are necessary for life to even exist in this universe. Fall on your sword, give up on Dawkins, shift over to Hawking and accept as he does the multiverse theories, and voila, happiness.

Well, not quite but who cares, eh?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
An atheist is one who rejects the existence of deities. It comes from the Greek (ἄθεος) which means "without god."

Atheists do not believe in the existence of deities. That makes them "godless". That's entirely consistent with what the atheists here have been telling you. Someone can be an agnostic and an atheist at the same time, and this is called a weak atheist.

You can't have both.

You absolutely can have both, since they deal with different issues. Atheism has to do with belief, and agnosticism has to do with knowledge. They aren't mutually exclusive categories.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
They aren't theoretical particles, we can run proper experimentation to know they are there. We can't see air either, does that mean it's theoretical too?
Um, no. Quarks are theoretical simply because they have never been seen. Take a look at the first question here. We surmise that quarks exist because of indirect evidence.

Do you suppose that at some point in our history, perhaps the last 150 years to make it easier, that quantum experiments used indirect evidence to make a bad and incorrect conclusion?

I'm not saying that quarks will not eventually be shown to be true. Likely the theory will take several turns and tweeks before we know for sure. Small possibility that quarks will prove to be a bad theory. Don't know.

And it is in that "don't know" where the "theory" lies. Quarks have not been witnessed. They are theoretical particles at this point in time. We are performing many experiments on the guess that they exist. Looks promising so far, but they still remain theoretical.

lol, You're quoting a Behe article? His findings have been rejected by the scientific community, and his own university officially published an article opposing his views.

He couldn't even convince his son (Leo Behe) what he said was true... Leo is now an Atheist.
Well there you go...that proves it: Leo spoke!

Btw, Lehigh Universities rejection of Behe's views were not about the microbiological evidence submitted, but rather about the intelligent design conclusions drawn from it. The University did not want to place itself in the center of acceptance of Intelligent Design.

If the University disregarded Behe completely he would not be Professor of Biochemistry there today.

Here is the Universities statement:
While we respect Prof. Behe's right to express his views, they are his alone and are in no way endorsed by the department. It is our collective position that intelligent design has no basis in science, has not been tested experimentally and should not be regarded as scientific.
Your statement was disengenuous as it leads to the conclusion that the University disagreed with Behe's biochemistry and thus ostrasized him completely ("his findings"). Their statement of non-endorsement was only on the Intelligent Design issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You are casting pearls before Christians. But I hope that some Christians reading this thread will pay attention and learn something. Ignorance may be bliss, but it is no virtue.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Ignorance is a by product of a negative mind, that can only relate in a vacuum.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No. Absolutely not. An atheist is one who rejects the existence of deities. It comes from the Greek (ἄθεος) which means "without god." What has evolved here is a group of agnostics who like to be called atheist. Agnostic means that there is doubt, or the claim that a thing is unknown or unknowable. You can't have both. Once you entertain the possibility of a god, you are agnostic. I know it doesn't roll off the tongue as fluently as atheist, but a rose is a rose is a rose.

You are categorically wrong, here.

Even the definition you gave for atheist tells you exactly that - "without god." That's what an atheist is. Most of us don't say "There is no god." but most of us do say "I don't believe in god." We aren't saying "We don't know if there is a god." and we aren't saying "It's impossible to know, we're not sure, or perhaps there is a god."

Atheist - without god. Godless. Lacking belief in deities.

That is exactly what we are.

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Wow...

Now you're trying to argue that the message of Jesus constitutes part of the Old Testament to try to make your case? I have to give you credit, that's a new one.

Open up a bible, and find any mention of Jesus in the sections with "Old Testament" at the top of the page. To make it easier, you can also find a Tanakh and do the same thing. If you are successful, come back and we'll argue your point.
Why do you continue to misconstrue what I said? Is your position so fragile that you have to stoop to disparagement of mine?

I did not say that the Gospels were part of the Old Testament, I said that they show Jesus supporting OT teaching because He had not yet gone to the cross. The church had not yet been established; the Good News of the Gospel message was being written and was not yet established.

Where bible publishers put section titles has nothing to do with my arguement.

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Knowing the beginning from the end does not preclude that God could give us free will and not be active in the choice we make.

And your last statement is a falsehood.

He most certainly can create with a free will and not coerce the outcome. It is your choice.

You of all people should know what I meant by that. Perhaps you were not that good of Calvinist growing up; perhaps your upbringing really didn't teach you about God in the first place.

----
(hey, this is post 1000!! Whoo hoo!!!)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.