Bermuda
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
contd

Does morality exist without God? Why would it?
OR/
Why would it not?
There is secular morality and there is God's morality.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 56: 8-9

we can treat people who we can see with respect n treat GOD with disarray and

how can we treat each other with no love whom we see daily but loves GOD whom we can not

vice versa ,,,...

Last edited:

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
divine command theory worcks on a limited basis if god exists god gets to make up whats good and bad for god and nay cratin he slves into feeling the same way

Weble wobles woble bu they don fal down.

God is like an engineer. He makes a television set and gives instructions for how to use it and care for it. If people choose to ignore those instructions then problems are more likely to happen to what God has made. Having free will separates us from television sets and cows. If we didn't have free will God would have no reason to give us instructions.

Upvote 0

Antarctika

Jul 12, 2011
Cape Town
✟15,346.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
It seems that the answer has been found already.

If there is a God, then nothing would exist without him, that means, no humans, no morality, etc. (Whether God teaches us the moral standards we should use or whether we decide them by ourselves is another question.)

If there is no God, then morality exists without God.

Upvote 0

blarg the 2nd

Oct 1, 2011
✟1,333.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

If there is a God, then nothing would exist without him, that means, no humans, no morality, etc. (Whether God teaches us the moral standards we should use or whether we decide them by ourselves is another question.)

not necisalry god could jsut be a powerfull bieng that did not create the universe an only claims to have done so asuming thers only one of em runing aorund or any of them of course

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AGODBELIEVERlove1stfaith2 said:
Does morality exist without God? Why would it?
OR/
Why would it not?
There is secular morality and there is God's morality.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 56: 8-9

we can treat people who we can see with respect n treat GOD with disarray and

how can we treat each other with no love whom we see daily but loves GOD whom we can not

vice versa ,,,...

If morality evolved with humans then the only morality you can have is a subjective, relativistic morality. Everyone's morality is what ever they say it is. One person thinks murder is wrong and another thinks murder is right. One thinks rape is wrong and one thinks rape is right. Moral relativism is a dangerous idea to hold.

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The concept of Good and Evil only showed up when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The only Sin they could commit was to eat of that tree, that's was the only boundary they had.

They did not realize they were naked until after they ate of the fruit.
So somewhere it became "bad" to be naked after they ate the fruit.
Before it was not "bad".

Later God gave the 10 commandments because people knew about good and evil. the 10 Commandments are how our behavior should be in a courteous way to others and to God.

Morality can be different from "right and wrong" though
Murdering someone could be different from someone's "morality".

In short morality is a standard of code someone believes what is right and what is wrong. They differ person to person, it is very rare we will agree on every point someone else has.

Upvote 0

blarg the 2nd

Oct 1, 2011
✟1,333.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If morality evolved with humans then the only morality you can have is a subjective, relativistic morality. Everyone's morality is what ever they say it is. One person thinks murder is wrong and another thinks murder is right. One thinks rape is wrong and one thinks rape is right. Moral relativism is a dangerous idea to hold.

syaing it dosent exist just becase it scares you or becase you hate the idea only suports it though

and a god sling comands dosent create universal morality it just glorifes one perosns subejectve vershion

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
homeofmew said:
The concept of Good and Evil only showed up when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The only Sin they could commit was to eat of that tree, that's was the only boundary they had.

They did not realize they were naked until after they ate of the fruit.
So somewhere it became "bad" to be naked after they ate the fruit.
Before it was not "bad".

Later God gave the 10 commandments because people knew about good and evil. the 10 Commandments are how our behavior should be in a courteous way to others and to God.

Morality can be different from "right and wrong" though
Murdering someone could be different from someone's "morality".

In short morality is a standard of code someone believes what is right and what is wrong. They differ person to person, it is very rare we will agree on every point someone else has.

Like i said before, if every one differs as to what is right and wrong then someone can think murder is right. And the bad thing about that is if people are allowed to make up their own morality then no one can tell them that murder is wrong. This is why we need God's morality. We need an absolute right and wrong so everyone knows it is wrong to murder. God has given us this absolute morality. That's what the 10 commandments are, God's morality.

Reactions: homeofmew
Upvote 0

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
blarg the 2nd said:
syaing it dosent exist just becase it scares you or becase you hate the idea only suports it though

and a god sling comands dosent create universal morality it just glorifes one perosns subejectve vershion

Again, I have no idea what your talking about. What doesn't exist? What scares me? God doing what with commands?

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The argument is pretty simple:

(1) Many people believe in many different things on the topic of morality.
(2) There is no agree'd upon set of morality.
(3) There is no way to prove that something is moral or not.
(4) Thus, there is no real, true, absolute morality or sense thereof.

Unless, of course: there is God, and He has determined what is right and proper, or there is some sort of objective, intellectual thing that we can point to.

This is one of the oldest and most basic debates.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
The argument is pretty simple:

(1) Many people believe in many different things on the topic of morality.
(2) There is no agree'd upon set of morality.
(3) There is no way to prove that something is moral or not.
(4) Thus, there is no real, true, absolute morality or sense thereof.

Unless, of course: there is God, and He has determined what is right and proper, or there is some sort of objective, intellectual thing that we can point to.

This is one of the oldest and most basic debates.

If there was indeed a real, true, absolute morality, then the very existence of different moralities would mean that the cause of morality cannot be the cause of everything else.

Upvote 0

Beechwell

Glücksdrache
Sep 2, 2009
Göttingen
✟8,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

I used to take that stance, too. But come to think of it, if God exists and gave humans free will (which I assume means we are not somehow subconsciously led by God), then morality (other than that of the 10 commandments and Jesus of Nazaret at least) can not be made by God.
Morality is arguable part of human behaviour, or human nature even. Even people who have never heard of the Bible have some kind of morality, and one that is at its core similar to ours. Commands to not steal and not kill (outsire the law) are pretty much universal, and something humans pick up already in early childhood; maybe there is even a genetic basis for them.
So if morality is part of human nature, and humans have free will, then I would say morality as such is definitely not God-made.

Of course one can still argue that the morality of the bible is God-made. But noone can deny that moralty exists outside of the Christian/Muslim/Jewish community.

@Tom: Maybe I can not prove that something is moral or not, but that lies in the nature of morality. How would one even go about proving something concerning morality. You certainly can't prove that "God's" morality is the true morality for humans. As Isaiah said: "[God's] ways are not your ways."

However, I think that when we discover universal moral traits present in all cultures, then we do get closer to a universal, objective morality.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.