Does going forward in an evangelical meeting true conversion?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
How is it that in many evangelical meetings, many go forward in response to the invitation to receive Christ, spend a couple of minutes praying the sinner's prayer, but there is no increase in the attendance of the churches? Is it because most who make a verbal commitment to Christ leave the meeting and go on living the same way as before? "I prayed the sinners prayer, I now believe in Christ therefore I'm saved now." Really? How about conviction of sin, repentance with tears, forsaking all known sin, striving to purify oneself? I wonder how many went forward at an altar call, prayed the sinner's prayer, carried on for a couple of months, and then decided that it wasn't working for them. Someone has said that the greatest enemy to true conversion is easy believer evangelism where all that is needed is for the person to go forward, make a verbal commitment and then go off and live life as before. No agonising over sin, no spending time in prayer and seeking God for a sanctified life; just turning up to church on Sunday morning to do their religious duty. Would that be what the Scripture says, "having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof."
The answer is revealed in the parable of the sower. Some appear to be saved but there is no depth. I went out at a Billy Graham meeting. I filled in the card and such, but I was unchanged. Someone I knew, same age as me, went out also. The change in him was obvious. He scared me! Some are ready to receive, some are not. Some are led by emotion, which is a problem when there is a hyped up atmosphere because of singing or emotional appeals or both.

Reactions: 1Tonne
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what I said has everything to do with Scripture. I know that because I read the Bible.
I would hope you do!

Which one of those wonderful scriptures that you read mentions the word Salvation like Romans 10 does?

Is it possible you are conflating Salvation with Sanctification?

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,560.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would hope you do!

Which one of those wonderful scriptures that you read mentions the word Salvation like Romans 10 does?

Your questions and comments that you direct at Watchman seem to have an underlying offensiveness towards him. "Thanks for your opinion", "I would hope you do!"

What one of his posts offended you?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your questions and comments that you direct at Watchman seem to have an underlying offensiveness towards him. "Thanks for your opinion", "I would hope you do!"

What one of his posts offended you?
None whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I would hope you do!

No. Salvation is according to the Scripture: "By grace are we saved through faith, and not of ourselves, but is the gift of God; not of works lest any should boast."

Sanctification involves forsaking the works of the flesh as are indicated in Galatians 5. Repentance involves what we no longer do. This does not involve good works. How come ceasing to do the works of the flesh involves good works? You don't start doing good works by stopping activities that are not consistent with holy living. However, the Scripture says that we show the fruit of repentance by forsaking the works of the flesh, and doing the good works that God has ordained for us to do as we walk in the light, doing His will.

Only those who have been born again of the Spirit of God through God's grace through faith, can carry on to show the fruit of repentance, forsake the works of the flesh, and do the good works according to God's will for us. In short, only those who have God's free gift of salvation can go on to sanctification.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In short, only those who have God's free gift of salvation can go on to sanctification.
Snipped for ease of understanding.

The statement indicated that some can go onto sanctification, which means sanctification is subsequent to salvation.

How do you know the ones you are referring to are not indeed saved, just not entering sanctification or perhaps entering sanctification slowly?

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,560.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"If I was to say that on my way here, I stood on the road was hit by a logging truck doing 100 miles an hour, you would say, “That’s absolutely absurd. It is impossible to have an encounter with something as large as a logging truck and not be changed.
And then my question would be to you what is larger, a logging truck or God.
How is it that so many people today profess to have had an encounter with Jesus Christ and yet they are not permanently changed." Paul Washer

Upvote 0