Does going against John Calvin mean going against God?

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
If God determines it, He owns it. That makes Him the author.

Sin is not a creation, nor a positive controlling principle, but an eroding, perverting, cancer on what is good. God did not make it, but provided for it to be authored, by Satan.

I know of no other 'thing' that is like sin. It is a privation of good, and is not in itself even a thing. To treat it as if it was in itself a governing principle is faulty.

There’s no sense to saying we have a will if God formed our will to only want evil. That’s just saying God is the author of our sin.

I expect you mean, if God made us, and provided for sin (through Adam) to bind our wills? No. That's not saying that God is the author of our sin. We each choose to sin. God is above us. Not a party to the sin itself.

However, if you can logically show how we can do anything apart from (outside of) the chain of causation, please do so.

God is not us. He is not even like us.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Even so, in both of your responses, you are in error, because regeneration is only by the indwelling Spirit giving you spiritual life inside:
Here you say the same thing I say, calling what I say 'error'. Strange.

I agree! Regeneration is only by the indwelling Spirit giving you spiritual life inside.

Regeneration is the work of Grace in us. Not something we can acquire, but something given, unmerited.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:8-9

Im not a Calvinist, I know that God does desire for all men to be saved. I was just explaining how most Calvinists reject this idea.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
setst777 said:
Even so, in both of your responses, you are in error, because regeneration is only by the indwelling Spirit giving you spiritual life inside:

Here you say the same thing I say, calling what I say 'error'. Strange.

I agree! Regeneration is only by the indwelling Spirit giving you spiritual life inside.

Regeneration is the work of Grace in us. Not something we can acquire, but something given, unmerited.

Anyone can see, just by clicking on the arrow link on the part of my message you quoted, that you quote and respond to only the tiny portion of my post that agrees with you, and then you ignore the rest, and then you attack a strawman, making it appear as if I was agreeing with you, when the opposite was the case.

You have been doing this to all my responses, ignoring the Scripture evidence, and responding to only parts of my messages. Such behavior is not respectful or fair. And you do the same thing with the Scriptures.

In the following, I quote your original message, and then my response to that, starting with the part you tore out of my full response. Notice how you conveniently ignore my response and quote the part of my message you can make to appear that I was agreeing with you, and this what you have been doing all along.

Mark Quayle said:
I didn't say faith is boasting. I said if your self-generated faith causes your regeneration, you have whereof to boast.

Here is what you actually said:

Mark Quayle said:

Thus, they have whereof to boast in their own faith and salvation. Ok.

Now here is the rest of that response that you ignored and cut off, just so you could make it appear as though I am agreeing with you.

setst777 said:

Romans 8:9-10 (WEB) 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if it is so that the Spirit of God dwells IN you. But if any man does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not his. 10 If Christ is IN you, the body is dead because of sin, but the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

The Spirit only indwells those who believe to give them life.

John 7:37-39 (WEB) 37 Now on the last and greatest day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink! (continuous drinking) 38 He who believes (continuous believing) in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive. For the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus wasn’t yet glorified.

By faith we receive Spiritual life from death, from darkness to light.

John 5:24 (WEB) 24 “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life

John 7:38 (WEB) 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.

Colossians 2:12 (WEB) 12 Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

Galatians 3:21-22 (WEB) For if there had been a law given which could make alive, most certainly righteousness would have been of the law. 22 But the Scripture imprisoned all things under sin so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe

John 8:12 (WEB) 12 Again, therefore, Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. (Isaiah 60:1). He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.

John 12:46 (WEB) 46 I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in the darkness

All the rest of your responses fall, because your doctrine of regeneration falls. Regeneration only happens by the indwelling Spirit, and the Spirit only indwells those who believe to give them life.

END OF QUOTE

All those who read my post can see where you deliberately cut off my response that gives a full answer.

You quoted an excerpt that makes it look as if I am agreeing with you when actually the full message shows just the opposite was the case.
  • The Passages I provided do indeed teach that regeneration is by the indwelling Spirit, which you agree with.
  • However, the Passages I quoted in my response also teach that the Spirit only indwells us by faith demonstrated in obedience to Lord Jesus.
  • The Passages I quoted in that response also show that one must believe first to pass from spiritual death to spiritual life – made alive and raised with Christ only by faith.
Notice that I quoted numerous Scriptures that keep teaching the same thing – that regeneration is by the indwelling Spirit, and we only receive the Spirit by faith. We are made alive from death, from darkness to light, by faith in Lord Jesus.

Therefore, one must believe first to be regenerated by the indwelling Spirit, because the Spirit only indwells to give life to those who believe.

Since this is so, your whole doctrine falls apart, because you believe in a Reformed doctrine that teaches we cannot believe unless we are regenerated by the indwelling Spirit first. That is a false doctrine according to all the Scriptures, just as I have shown in my response, which you ignored.

As I review your responses, I am made aware that you have turned the Gospel upside down by ignoring the parts of God's Holy Word that disagrees with you, or inserting your own doctrine into a verse that teaches no such thing; and then, you make it appear as if God is agreeing with you, using this trickery as your evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Anyone can see, just by clicking on the arrow link on the part of my message you quoted, that you quote and respond to only the tiny portion of my post that agrees with you, and then you ignore the rest, and then you attack a strawman, making it appear as if I was agreeing with you, when the opposite was the case.

You have been doing this to all my responses, ignoring the Scripture evidence, and responding to only parts of my messages. Such behavior is not respectful or fair. And you do the same thing with the Scriptures.

In the following, I quote your original message, and then my response to that, starting with the part you tore out of my full response. Notice how you conveniently ignore my response and quote the part of my message you can make to appear that I was agreeing with you, and this what you have been doing all along.

Now here is the rest of that response that you ignored and cut off, just so you could make it appear as though I am agreeing with you.

setst777 said:

Romans 8:9-10 (WEB) 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if it is so that the Spirit of God dwells IN you. But if any man does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not his. 10 If Christ is IN you, the body is dead because of sin, but the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

The Spirit only indwells those who believe to give them life.

John 7:37-39 (WEB) 37 Now on the last and greatest day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink! (continuous drinking) 38 He who believes (continuous believing) in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive. For the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus wasn’t yet glorified.

By faith we receive Spiritual life from death, from darkness to light.

John 5:24 (WEB) 24 “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life

John 7:38 (WEB) 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.

Colossians 2:12 (WEB) 12 Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

Galatians 3:21-22 (WEB) For if there had been a law given which could make alive, most certainly righteousness would have been of the law. 22 But the Scripture imprisoned all things under sin so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe

John 8:12 (WEB) 12 Again, therefore, Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. (Isaiah 60:1). He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.

John 12:46 (WEB) 46 I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in the darkness

All the rest of your responses fall, because your doctrine of regeneration falls. Regeneration only happens by the indwelling Spirit, and the Spirit only indwells those who believe to give them life.

END OF QUOTE

All those who read my post can see where you deliberately cut off my response that gives a full answer.

You quoted an excerpt that makes it look as if I am agreeing with you when actually the full message shows just the opposite was the case.
  • The Passages I provided do indeed teach that regeneration is by the indwelling Spirit, which you agree with.
  • However, the Passages I quoted in my response also teach that the Spirit only indwells us by faith demonstrated in obedience to Lord Jesus.
  • The Passages I quoted in that response also show that one must believe first to pass from spiritual death to spiritual life – made alive and raised with Christ only by faith.
Notice that I quoted numerous Scriptures that keep teaching the same thing – that regeneration is by the indwelling Spirit, and we only receive the Spirit by faith. We are made alive from death, from darkness to light, by faith in Lord Jesus.

Therefore, one must believe first to be regenerated by the indwelling Spirit, because the Spirit only indwells to give life to those who believe.

Since this is so, your whole doctrine falls apart, because you believe in a Reformed doctrine that teaches we cannot believe unless we are regenerated by the indwelling Spirit first. That is a false doctrine according to all the Scriptures, just as I have shown in my response, which you ignored.

As I review your responses, I am made aware that you have turned the Gospel upside down by ignoring the parts of God's Holy Word that disagrees with you, or inserting your own doctrine into a verse that teaches no such thing; and then, you make it appear as if God is agreeing with you, using this trickery as your evidence.
Ok. That's enough.

Upvote 0