• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Does going against John Calvin mean going against God?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by MMXX, Jun 9, 2021.

1. MMXX

MMXX Well-Known Member

+2,479
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    In this video John MacArthur reads objections to Calvinism's doctrine of predestination, and says the comments go against the sovereignty of God. It sounded more to me that the comments went against John Cavin's doctrine. Or should both considered one and the same?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dóxatotheó

dóxatotheó Orthodox Church Familia

+180
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Calvinism is secret Universalism.
    P1) God Loves All and desires all to be saved
    P2) God Isn't halfway
    P3) Gods Love is Loving his creation like the others
    P4) God can give unconditional grace to everyone because he loves everyone and desire them to be saved
    P5) God choosing certain people isn't love and its him being partially.
    Conclusion: Calvinism is Universalism because God loves all creation and he isn't partially and he can give his unconditional grace to all creation because he loves all his creation equally.
    So No nobody disagrees with the sovereignty of God, we disagree with John Calvin's core doctrine. Sorry to say but John Calvinism soft determinism fails according to my premises and conclusions, any rebuttals would be fallacious because P1 and P3 goes together do you agree?

3. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,894
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I was predestined to oppose John Calvin!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. MMXX

MMXX Well-Known Member

+2,479
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Heretic :p

5. dóxatotheó

+180
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Amen

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,894
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Oh, I was also predestined to have free will

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 Pax et bonum! CF Ambassadors Supporter

+9,586
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    John Calvin was born in 1509 AD.
    Prior to his birth, Christianity had already existed for over one and a half millennia.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,622
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Mac Arthur is saying that Calvin teaches the sovereignty of God which is presented in the Scriptures, therefore, objection to Calvin's teaching would be going against the sovereignty of God.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Paul4JC

Paul4JC It is for freedom that Christ has set us free

+1,143
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Calvinism worked.......in Geneva......by force and beatings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. BBAS 64

BBAS 64 Contributor Supporter

+1,283
    Christian
    Married
    To quote the Prince of Preachers:

If anyone should ask me what I mean by a Calvinist, I should reply, “He is one who says, Salvation is of the Lord.” I cannot find in Scripture any other doctrine than this. It is the essence of the Bible. “He only is my rock and my salvation.”

Tell me anything contrary to this truth, and it will be a heresy; tell me a heresy, and I shall find its essence here, that it has departed from this great, this fundamental, this rock-truth, “God is my rock and my salvation.” What is the heresy of Rome, but the addition of something to the perfect merits of Jesus Christ—the bringing in of the works of the flesh, to assist in our justification? And what is the heresy of Arminianism but the addition of something to the work of the Redeemer? Every heresy, if brought to the touchstone, will discover itself here.

I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else.

I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called, and suffers the children of God to be burned in the fires of damnation after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor.

(Charles Spurgeon, A Defense of Calvinism)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+801
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I
    I'm not a Calvanist, however, everyone of his doctrinal points can be shown in scripture...I just think Lutherans are a bit more balanced.

Regardless, we are all saved by Gods grace for Christ sake, through faith, when we repent, believe in, and trust his promises to save us.

Additionally, we should do our best to sincerely, and honestly live our faith.

Amen!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+801
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Same process for Lutherans, Anglicans, and Moravians, and the rest including Roman Catholics.

Different locations though

13. BBAS 64

+1,283
    Christian
    Married

Worked in America for the The First Great Awakening

14. Der Alte

Der Alte This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+3,953
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    It would appear that both Calvin and Spurgeon contradict the words of Jesus, Himself. e.g. Matthew 25:46, Matthew 25:41,Mark 9:43-48, Matthew 13:42, Matthew 13:50 etc.

15. Bruce Leiter

Bruce Leiter A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love

+483
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Our denomination is Calvinist, but we never consider John Calvin's doctrine infallible. Certainly, I completely disagree with many of his actions in Geneva. However, as much as his doctrines agree with the Bible, we definitely agree that the Bible teaches God's sovereignty. I suggest that you start with the Scriptures and then examine the words of people in that light.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. BBAS 64

+1,283
    Christian
    Married
    Good Day, Der Alte

It may appear like that to you at first glance, but I would refer you to their work on those passages you posted.

BTW they do not call Spurgeon the prince of preachers for nothing.

In Him,

Bill

17. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,771
    Christian
    Married
    Or only Calvins definition of God sovereignty.

18. dóxatotheó

+180
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Of course it can is why we explain the verses they present secondly, believing Reform doctrine has nothing to do with Lutherans because Lutherans can be Calvinist.

19. dóxatotheó

+180
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I agree

20. MMXX

MMXX Well-Known Member

+2,479
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    But teaching the sovereignty of God wasn't exclusive to Calvin. All of the major theologians of the reformation taught the sovereignty of God. Jacobus Arminius taught the sovereignty of God. However Arminianism and Calvinism are opposing theologies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List