Does God literally speak to people today?

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I haven't had any experiences myself relating to the subject,but I've read of many people who have and I think the subject is very interesting.Many people say God doesn't speak to people anymore,except figuratively,whereas many people say they themselves have heard God speak to them.I'm not sure which side to believe.Anyway,I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experiences relating to the subject.If you don't believe God speaks to people today and have Biblically-based reasons reasons for not believing so,then I'd love to hear your side of the story as well.God bless everyone.
God can speak to people today as much as he did in Apostolic times. I have experienced many different ways in which God communicates with his children. That a person hasn't heard this shouldn't make them feel any less a child of God. Just a different calling.

• Agree
Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Yes.

Here are some examples off my website.

One morning I got up and walked into the hall and I heard a voice that I believed was God say "How would you like to be stabbed in the Valley". The Valley was known as the rough end of town, and the voice scared me a little, I wondered if I had done something to offend God. I had planned to go down to the Valley to ask people out to church as was my habit at the time. In the end I went anyway regardless of the fear. I walked up to the first person I met and asked him if he would like to go out to church. He said to me "I am an atheist, I don't believe in God". I just said "fine", but hoped to change his mind. He then proceeded to unbutton his shirt and showed me scar marks up and down his chest and stomach. He said to me, "I was attacked by a knife wielding man in the Valley some time ago and spent months recovering in hospital, How could God allow that to happen to me". Then I knew why God had said in the morning "How would I like to be stabbed?". God understood this man, but had a good plan for him. Some weeks latter this man came out to church and became a Christian.

God Rescues a Prisoner of War

army.jpg

Some time after the second Gulf War an Australian man Douglas Wood was captured by terrorists in Iraq, who made demands for a ransom or he would be executed. I set about fasting and praying for his release, I said to God "You know where he is....tell me". Three words entered my mind ABC, Bazaar and "a meal". I thought "I am going crazy what has all that got to do with him. Bazaar I though "this is Bizarre". I thought maybe "a meal" is a town so I searched a map of Iraq for a town of that name, but found nothing that really matched. Some time latter Douglas Wood was freed by US troops who came across his captors. It was not until latter that I actually discovered what the three words meant. I was on a forum libertyunites.us and came across a post by a user called ABC in the post she appealed to the terrorists to release Douglas Wood because she had seen him go to a Bazaar (another name for shop) and bought food (sausages I think it was) for disadvantaged people and had provided them with "a meal". So the three words God had given me when I prayed were about that post. So God did not tell me where he was he told me what type of person Douglas Wood was a good man. I believe God saw Douglas Wood's kind action too and blessed with an escape from his captors.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't had any experiences myself relating to the subject,but I've read of many people who have and I think the subject is very interesting.Many people say God doesn't speak to people anymore,except figuratively,whereas many people say they themselves have heard God speak to them.I'm not sure which side to believe.Anyway,I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experiences relating to the subject.If you don't believe God speaks to people today and have Biblically-based reasons reasons for not believing so,then I'd love to hear your side of the story as well.God bless everyone.

God visited me for about 3 months, he spoke of the spiritual resurrection, and I saw the King of King's Lord of Lords, and Angels. Their resurrected form was awesome and not like our flesh. I was also visited by two beings, one announced as Heavenly Father, another Heavenly Mother. They filled me with peace, love and all pain and turmoil left me for hours afterwards. If you believe and they visit then it is awesome.

Reactions: magiclevinho
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

God does through the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God speaks in a variety of ways.

Check out how God spoke to people in the Bible and see how may you can come up with.

HE speaks through his word when you read it. He speaks through other people. He can question you in your thoughts. He can speak to you in your dreams. He speaks through Prophets, He speaks through miracles. Even this is not anywhere near complete list of how God speaks

Can he speak audibly to you - yes he can. Has he ever spoken to me - yes he has.

The strangest one I ever got was the word "Arabah" spoken to me audibly during a time of prayer when on my own. I got the one word and nothing else. It led me to do some study - the word is in the bible and is a desert region. I was about to do some desert wandering for a quite few years . I was really into my Christian faith at the time I heard that word and didn't really know what it "meant" or what was likely to happen.

The more spiritually aware you are, the more you are able to recognise God's voice and the way he speaks. I've had a few encouraging words over the years and quite a few warnings to behave myself. God disciplines his children as well as bless them.

Even though God speaks to us - sometimes Audibly - do we really listen or ignore what he has to say?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have an updated response from 2012. God has actually spoken to me a lot since I posted 6 years ago.

And actually thinking back, I’m not sure why I said God never spoke to me bc he had, twice in 2011. In 2011, God had nudged me to pray for someone, so I did. Never having prayed for anyone before, 3 months later I prayed out of frustration and God told me he would be fine some day. Over the past 7 years, God has spoken to me several times about me and him. I had an experience 5-6 years ago where God told me this guy was going to be my husband some day and more recently, well over the past year or so, reminding me continuously to be patient and wait. Last year, I received the most profound word from God. One night while praying, I was both angry and frustrated at the time, God said these words to me, “you need to continue to relax, be patient and wait. Everything I told you will happen in my timing. You just need to give me more time to work on him and you need to continue to be patient and wait.” After God said those words to me, he filled me with deep peace.

Since I’ve become a Christian, God has audibly spoken to me 10 times. 8 of those times have been about that guy. 2 of the times have been about me. God spoke to me about myself twice btwn 2002-2010. God spoke to me 8 times audibly about this guy btwn 2011-2018. But God has also spoken to me in various different ways about not only myself but this guy also about a hundred times or so in the past 17 years.

So my answer now is does God speak to us? Definitely

My one friend has never had God speak to her audibly. I don’t know what to tell her. My cousin in the other hand, has God speaking to him quite often. Now, whenever God speaks to you, you need to listen right away even if at the time it doesn’t sound right, doesn’t matter. You listen right away.

Upvote 0

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OP — have you ever had a time when you were sitting not doing anything and a thought pops in your head about a possible solution to a problem or situation you’re facing?

That has happened quite a few times to me and recently it has happened to my mom to about this situation. But, I believe often times, those thoughts are from God. Just a different way of him speaking to you. Recently, I had a thought pop into my head about this guy and things that are going on. I never would’ve even thought about that or the possibility of that if God hadn’t placed that thought in my head.

If that has ever happened to you and you were like, where did that idea come from? Most likely it was from God.

Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I really in need and want to hear/speak with God or Jesus, i'd like to bump this thread to hear more stories. So don't hesitate to share your stories pls!

Magiclevinho

You've heard a few testimonies on God speaking.

Did you know that God can still work miracles and heal us? Is anything impossible for God?

God healed me many years ago ( saved my life in the process as well ) and filled me with his spirit and gave me power to live. I've had an extra 30 years so far :)

You too can have power to live - NOW.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emily Foster

Sep 14, 2016
Colorado Springs
✟22,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had several experiences where God has spoken to me through His Holy Spirit in certain situations....a still small voice telling me I made a mistake, nudging me to do something, asking me to pray, change my decision, change plans, encouraging me, telling me it's gonna be alright, and so on.

Reactions: Jerri
Upvote 0