Does God literally speak to people today?

Schrodinger's Hat

Weird guy
Apr 4, 2012
Christian Forums
✟21,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't had any experiences myself relating to the subject,but I've read of many people who have and I think the subject is very interesting.Many people say God doesn't speak to people anymore,except figuratively,whereas many people say they themselves have heard God speak to them.I'm not sure which side to believe.Anyway,I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experiences relating to the subject.If you don't believe God speaks to people today and have Biblically-based reasons reasons for not believing so,then I'd love to hear your side of the story as well.God bless everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: WesternCanuck

Jonny Doe

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hey,
I am personally wary of people who said they heard God speak to them. You hear ridiculous stories and people justifying their grotesque actions by using that line.

That doesn't mean I fully dismiss the idea. I greatly respect the pastor Marc driscoll of Mars hill who said God told him to plant churches and marry his wife.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I can't say that I've known anyone personally who claimed god spoke to them. It's odd since after looking through this forum I've seen more people claim that god speaks to them (literally) than I can count. Reasons for this could be many.

I suppose in real-life self-reporting bias comes into play, no one wants to look like a nut. It's easier to proclaim such things on here.

The opposite could be true as well, though I forget the psychological term for it. It has something to do with "pretending" something in order to fulfill the expectations of the group.

Upvote 0
L

LiveInMercyAndTruth

I haven't had any experiences myself relating to the subject,but I've read of many people who have and I think the subject is very interesting.Many people say God doesn't speak to people anymore,except figuratively,whereas many people say they themselves have heard God speak to them.I'm not sure which side to believe.Anyway,I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experiences relating to the subject.If you don't believe God speaks to people today and have Biblically-based reasons reasons for not believing so,then I'd love to hear your side of the story as well.God bless everyone.

The Lord speaks to me.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

I've had several experiences where the Lord spoke to me. It saved my life a number of times. Like once, when myself and my wife went to the seaside to take some time off. I was behind a slow truck, and decided to overtake it - since it appeared quite safe to do so. Right then, He said "No, my child" - and I obeyed. About a second later, a car came racing past - way over the speed limit. We would have had a head-on collision, since there would have been nowhere to go to avoid an accident.

It's sad that there are so many "God made me do it" stories out there that make people believe that God not only never speaks to His children, but that anyone who believes that is crazy.

Upvote 0

Schrodinger's Hat

Weird guy
Apr 4, 2012
Christian Forums
✟21,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do believe that many people probably do make up "I heard God"stories.The dishonesty is pretty bad itself,but what I think is possibly even worse is that the obviously made-up stories take so much credibility away from the real stories.By the way,Andreha,may I ask what your other experiences were like?(I can understand if you'd rather not tell us about it.)

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I remember once, travelling home from work. It was a long drive, and I felt upset because of something someone at work said to me. I remember praying that morning, specifically asking the Holy Spirit to override my will, whenever He desires. Anyway, I get onto the free-way, and notice a hitch-hiker. Ignoring her, I drive on, determined not to stop. Next moment, my foot is lifted off the accelerator, and slams on brakes. It was like my body was going into autopilot. After reversing towards the hitch-hiker, and throwing the door open, I realised that the Spirit did indeed override my will, just as I prayed for that morning.

So, we start chatting. As it turns out, it was a mother, who after travelling a thousand miles with her young child, and a little baby, got robbed of everything they had. The little baby had no food or diapers left. I realised that I must have been their last chance of getting help - as it was getting dark, and few people would ever dare to pick up strangers in the dark - people get murdered regularly for doing just that in this country.

All she had was an incomplete address of people she was heading to. I realised that this poor woman was in trouble. So, I prayed, and the Holy Spirit reminded me that my local church was going to have a service in less than an hour. I decided to go to church, as there were plenty of people who could help. Right then, I realised that I had no idea where I was anymore - got lost completely. Without a map or charged mobile - I was truly stuck. So, as my heart sank into despair, the Holy Spirit said to me "My child, let me guide you". I gladly accepted. Then, He started directing me, telling me where to turn and where to carry on straight. After some time, I was wondering when I'll start recognising my surroundings. Right then, He said "You'll know where you are soon, my child." About a minute later, I recognised precisely where we were, and audibly thanked the Spirit for His help. The mother was a bit surprised, and I explained to her that I was completely lost, and followed the Spirit of God's verbal directions to get there. She must have been touched quite deeply - which must be what the Lord wanted. I still remember how she gasped at hearing those words.

So, as I drive to the church grounds, we get out and head for the door. The right people approached me before I could even say a word. I explained what happened, how the Spirit took control of me, and compelled me to stop and pick them up. I told them that this is obviously important kingdom business, and that she needs help. They accepted my words, and took her in. I do believe she was lead to the Lord that same night.

The events that day made me marvel at the infinite greatness of the Lord our God. How He gently laid it on my heart to ask the Spirit to override my will, and how everything came together under His guidance. Truly, our God is the greatest - and to serve Him is wonderful beyond words.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Schrodinger's Hat

Weird guy
Apr 4, 2012
Christian Forums
✟21,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for another excellent story,Andreha.I especially liked the end of your post-God sure is the greatest.It seems to me like when God encourages someone to help another person in one way or another,the person who does the helping ends up being just as happy as the person whom they helped.Is this how it was with you?

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for another excellent story,Andreha.I especially liked the end of your post-God sure is the greatest.It seems to me like when God encourages someone to help another person in one way or another,the person who does the helping ends up being just as happy as the person whom they helped.Is this how it was with you?

That's so true - watching how the Lord uses you as an instrument to bless someone else is such a joy. Like once, not long after the Lord called me to workplace ministry:

That day, for me, was business as usual. My desk was close to what we called "The smoking balcony". I could see people go outside to have a cigarette. There I was, sitting at my desk and dealing with some technical challenge. Someone walked past me - obviously to go and smoke outside. Usually, I wouldn't bother looking up - as watching people smoke does get boring after a while. :)

Somehow, I looked up - and started into the eyes of someone standing outside. I could see the most intense pain and hurt in those eyes. Right then, the Holy Spirit said "My child, won't you go outside, and talk to him?" - with such love and compassion that I got up right then.

So, after introducing myself, we started talking. As it turns out, on the previous day, while I was on leave, something terrible happened to him, at work. It was his first day at the new employer - and after a doctor made a mistake with his medication, by prescribing a dangerous overdose, he collapsed in full view of everybody on the floor. He appeared drugged - and was taken home. He told me that he was going to initiate a malpractice lawsuit. I encouraged him to do it, as it would clear his name. He sued the doctor for malpractice, who offered to settle out of court.

Afterwards, I mentioned this to his team-lead - who clearly still had no idea. This stopped the rumours, and the man and his team became good friends. As I spent time talking to him regularly, his life started changing around. The last time I saw him, was at his wedding - and he truly was a new man. All the hurt and pain was replaced with joy and fulfilment.

It was such a wonderful joy to be able to minister to someone, under guidance of the Spirit, and to see that person truly prosper. It's true what the Bible says about it being better to give than to receive. The joy of receiving something doesn't always last very long. But the joy of giving, and seeing the profound difference it makes can last a lifetime. :amen:

Reactions: Jerri
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Schrodinger's Hat

Weird guy
Apr 4, 2012
Christian Forums
✟21,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That was also a very interesting story,and again I especially liked the ending.Can you remember where that giving-and-receiving verse that you mentioned is?I think I remember reading the verse you mentioned,but I can't recall where it was.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
That was also a very interesting story,and again I especially liked the ending.Can you remember where that giving-and-receiving verse that you mentioned is?I think I remember reading the verse you mentioned,but I can't recall where it was.

Hey

Here you go: Acts 20:35 (KJV)

I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

I'll post some more when things in RL slow down a bit. :)

Upvote 0

plumbernater

Apr 18, 2012
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say God has talked to me. Not as you would hear a voice from above. But clear as day in my head. The first time would be after asking many times for wisdom. Its like after my praying this I heard Him clear as day " Read My Word, Learn My Word. You have my wisdom in My Word." There has been other times as well. I knew it was Him. Of course like I said it wasnt a voice from above. But very understandable in my head.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
when i was in school, i had 2 diff professors say that God literally speaks to them. I am still not 100% sure what they mean but, when i asked one of the profs what he meant he told me that sometimes, it's like the holy spirit is whispering into his ear so quietly and it's like a person is standing next to him. He told me other times, when he's praying, meditating or doin something else, sometimes the holy spirit will just grab his attention n point him in a direction whether it's to pray for someone or to mentor someone. In class once, he shared this story -- there was this 1 student named Anton who used to go there, and he said, this one day, he just felt led to txt him -- he said God placed a verse on his heart and told him to txt that number and he said he txt the number w/ the verse and by saying whatever it was that he felt God leading him to say. He said that later that day, he got a txt msg back and the txt msg said something like this, "i don't kno who anton is, but, thanks for what you said to me, that really touched my heart, it's something that i needed to hear right now." So, apparently, the kid changed his phone number w/o telling this prof but God knew something bigger was going on and used this prof as a tool to help this person out and he told us, that he had gotten a few other txt afterwards from this other person asking for advice. So, God speaks to people n uses them in his own ways.

I've personally never had an experience where God has spoken to me in that respect -- i've never heard him whisper into my ear or what not -- but, God has spoken to me thru feelings -- i shared this on another thread but, when i was deeply struggling spiritually w/ stuff, when I did something right (had to be something big), he'd give me Deep Peace which lasted for quite awhile -- it was a true feeling for me -- however, if i sinned and made a really bad mistake which i did often, he would in turn give me these other feelings (i can't explain what they felt like) but, it was like he was telling me, no no, that's not what u were supposed to do and in turn, it was my choice to turn away and listen to him, and then those negative feelings would disappear -- that happened for several years for me.

Upvote 0

pineconez

Apr 21, 2012
Canada
✟7,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very interesting thread. I have been thinking about this topic lately and just wondering if maybe I was not growing well if I haven't 'heard' god regularly by now....or something... And if someone told me "no, nobody literally gets to hear god.." as in Speaking English to me.... Lol that would have settled me down just fine but I have heard Him twice in my life so I wouldn't be sure now. I regularly find bible verses Brought to my mind and I think that is probably best for many situations, for me and how I operate lol... But once as a child I was tobboganning alone, in farm/country land behind my house that I used to sneak off into and I had decided to take this one "hill" I had discovered that was way steeper that day than usual due to large amounts of snow and steep drifts that had built up. I closed my eyes on the way down, enjoying myself.... It was one of these plastic sleds with the little hand breaks on the sides. Suddenly I heard, I kid you not, a audible, loud, echoing "STOP!" and I was so alarmed I cranked on the breaks without thinking. I had turned my head around as t seemed like it had come from behind me, and had opened my eyes then. When I turned my head forward again, I saw that I had somehow, on this sled, turned towards the treeline, and not two inches in front of my face was a sharp broken tree branch sticking out at me like a spear... If I had kept going I would have been skewered, basically. I looked and looked and there was no other sound or evidence of another human being around me whatsoever. No foot prints, it was just me and the wind and trees and grey sky. I didn't think it was God or an angel at the time but there is just no way anyone even close by could have seen me at the bottom of the dip in the land there without me seeing them, especially if they were going to be close enough to notice I was heading towards this branch.
The only other time I heard God, it was not audible... It was a strong strong whisper or almost like a "thought injection" I guess during a very upsetting past event, while I was praying but it was a very hysterical, upset and selfish prayer. And then suddenly cutting through everything racing through my mind was "be patient!" and it was so strong and commanding of my attention, like there was no way to confuse it with those times my own head is generating random thoughts...and after that moment, i felt sudden clarity and peace. Not to mention somewhat foolish about my reaction. So there they are, my only two experiences where I felt there was verbal communication... For what it's worth. The one potentially saved my life. The other... I will never know for sure how it affected outcomes. I haven't had any experiences like these in years and years now. And some people talk about them all the time it seems. Interesting stuff. Whatever God uses I need to be open minded about and not expect plain English in my ears or in my head lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silibro

Jun 5, 2012
✟15,198.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Hello qwerty35. I have had some experience in which I hear voice from above. The first time was when I was taking a test in the church. I had all the answer but one. The voice said, " the answer is, PROMISE.". He said it 3 times. I looked around and it was only me and a female left in the church. But the way, the answer was ........promise...

The second time was when I was reading my bible, the Lord said to me," enter into the joy of the Lord and the fulness thereof.".

It does not happen often but when it does, it's memorable. Each time I heard it just above a whisper .

The next time I heard his voice was when I was on the phone talking to my girlfriend. I was a new believer and very much in the flesh. We both thought she was pregnant. The voice said over the phone line, " she is not pregnant. ". This was said 2 times. 7 days later she had her period. She was missing she period for. 2 months.

God will get his point across.

Upvote 0