Does God Choose Our American Presidents?

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,262.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The thought had actually never occurred to me, as I firmly believe that God, having given mankind "free will," permits us to experience the consequences of our actions, positive or negative, through what is called his "permissive will."

I first heard it said by evangelical friends who said that Trump was chosen by God to be president. And so, like the author of this article, I said, "Well then he also chose Obama and Clinton and Carter and LBJ and Kennedy and Truman and FDR to be president, isn't that so?"

They never respond.

This article, written by a well-known UCC minister and prolific author, explores that concept.

Here is what he says about the possibility of God choosing a leader.

Historically, Christian theologians have held one of two contrasting positions, albeit with various nuances. On the one hand, many theologians in the Augustinian-Calvinist tradition assert that divine providence is directly or indirectly responsible for everything that occurs from the fall of a leaf to an airplane crash...Theologically, the divine ordination of rulers is often identified in practice with the status quo, authoritarianism, persecution of opponents, and absolution of any evil committed by political leaders. It places the present and future in God’s hands entirely, discouraging prophetic critique, political challenge, and higher aspirations toward a “more perfect” union.

And the converse opinion:

On the other hand, the Pelagian-Arminian-Wesleyan-Process tradition – and I view Pelagius in a positive light – sees the world in terms of call and response. God calls to everyone, but the response – positive or negative – is in our hands. Grace is prior and embraces all, but grace awakens and purifies rather than denies human freedom. We live in a multi-factorial universe in which God’s will is one of many factors determining each event. Accordingly, the election of a president may involve divine action, but it also involves chance events, political opponents, the involvement of foreign powers, the quality of candidate’s campaign, financial resources, the political environment, the gullibility as well as wisdom of the populace, the actions of other public servants such as Jim Comey, as well as the weather on election day...The multi-factorial approach to divine-human relationships encourages, in contrast, acceptance of diverse positions, political challenge, and give and take between differing parties, based on the realities of human limitation and the diversity in how persons respond to God’s call. A multi-factorial approach to divine-human relationships and causation is more conducive to tolerance and democracy that the coercive, deterministic, authoritarian vision of God.

And so I stand firmly in the camp that God calls us and leaves the response in our hands. He did not annoint or appoint any leader in our country or any other.

But I am curious about what others think? If you believe that God appointed Trump, do you believe he appoints every leader--or just some? And do you see it as conflicting with humankind's free will?

Does God Choose the President of the United States?

• Informative
Reactions: lismore

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes.

AFD1284F-FD9C-41E7-BE32-D60F9024A994.jpeg

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I am curious about what others think?

I think it's possible both are true at various times considering Nebuchadnezzars confession and what Christ said to Pilate. But I don't box God in, requiring he choose only Christian leaders when he does compel (Cyrus didn't even know God Isaiah 45:4) or that he choose based on what will be pleasing to the people (though it can be a show of his favor as in 1 Kings 10:9).

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟153,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Job, 12:23 “He makes the nations great, then destroys them;
He enlarges the nations, then leads them away.

Acts 17:26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,

Dan, 2:21 "It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men And knowledge to men of understanding.

On what level I don’t know. It is clear as individuals we make choices every day. On the larger world/time continuum He has a plan, a direction so perhaps He injects a Pharaoh occasionally with the intent of achieving a goal.

In Christ

The dogs bark, but the caravan rolls on.

• Informative
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But since the presidents also have free will, a lot of what happens depends on their relationship with God and their prayerful attentiveness and discernment.
He uses them good or bad, more often bad. The governance of God comes before the governance of man. Man is the adversary remember.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thought had actually never occurred to me, as I firmly believe that God, having given mankind "free will," permits us to experience the consequences of our actions, positive or negative, through what is called his "permissive will."

I first heard it said by evangelical friends who said that Trump was chosen by God to be president. And so, like the author of this article, I said, "Well then he also chose Obama and Clinton and Carter and LBJ and Kennedy and Truman and FDR to be president, isn't that so?"

They never respond.

This article, written by a well-known UCC minister and prolific author, explores that concept.

And so I stand firmly in the camp that God calls us and leaves the response in our hands. He did not annoint or appoint any leader in our country or any other.

But I am curious about what others think? If you believe that God appointed Trump, do you believe he appoints every leader--or just some? And do you see it as conflicting with humankind's free will?

No He does not choose any presidents ,we do. This only pertains to the Kings of Israel and the last King was Herod.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

They never respond.
I'm an evangelical. I mean I preach the gospel of the death and burial and resurrection of Jesus, and that salvation comes through grace.

I would say God has managed who becomes America's president.

But if God puts someone into office, this does not automatically mean God approves of the President as a person.

And God's reason for having someone might not be similar to the reasons of people who have voted for the person. My opinion is that some number of American evangelicals have hoped for Donald to do what God alone is able to do. There are ones who want to mainly use a president, not caring about the person and what is really right for the person in office; but ones could even just use a president like toilet paper. But God cares about what is personally good for each of us.

And I first try to evaluate if a person is a good example as a leader. Therefore, I am not first about what I hope to use someone to do.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So then you believe that God also placed Obama and Biden in office.
But if God puts someone into office, this does not automatically mean God approves of the President as a person.
The LORD appointed Saul, but this was a consequence of how the Jews had refused the LORD as their King. It seems to me how those refusing Jews wanted a man to fight their battles, provide for them, and be their public image; and this is what some number of American voters seek from whomever they vote for.

God was managing who those Jews got for their king. I understand that they got what they were capable of receiving. So, of course, then, there can be a sort of free will included in the process of how God appoints.

In the United States, there are ones who essentially worship their own wills and rights. And they have an attitude of entitlement, of making themselves dictators over the ones they elect, even.

Each voter can be one's own worst possible dictator!

And such ones can place much dependence on the ones they hope to have in office, instead of first depending on God and seeking to do and have what our Father pleases. They are mainly about using whoever is in office, not first loving and caring about that person the way Jesus wants us to love any and all people.

And so, such anti-love stuff has ruined some number of American voters and politicians, so that very wrong ones can get into office. Any wrong ones at the top are the tip of their iceberg of voters who support them.

But I do understand that God is in overall management. And truly qualified people can do the good He has them doing, elsewhere than in certain public political positions.

In case Donald really is of God, and in case he does get officially "fired" > God keeps bringing His real children on to more and better. So, if Donald really is of God, and he is fired, God will bring him, grow him, mature him, to doing more good than he now can wish to accomplish, no matter if he is President or not or voted back in, later, or not.

In any case, God's word says, I understand about secular leaders > "he is God's minister to you for good," in Romans chapter 13. So, I understand and trust God, that He does use any secular leader somehow for good. But how much good is an issue - - how much a person can somehow be used.

"But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." (2 Timothy 3:13)

Therefore, I understand that a wrong person, after leaving an office will become worse and worse as a person and will be used for less and less good. So, in case Donald is really of God as certain evangelicals seem to promote, then it will make no real difference if he is removed, because God is able to keep using a really right person for more and more good, not depending on public approval.

Because with a true person of God, God keeps giving increase. Any real good which He uses a person to do will continue and will not fail. Even if a genuine person of God dies, the good that person has done you will continue . . . especially within you. Because this good is God within you and your life continuing and increasing the good which that passed person has ministered to you. Your character has a lot to do with if and how much you are capable of benefiting from how God uses each person.

By now, I think any Christian knows if Donald has helped you to become a more genuinely Christian person who is closer to God and who loves any and all people as yourself . . . or if he has mainly misled your attention elsewhere. And you know if Jesus is the King of your heart and your attention, and if Donald has helped Jesus to rule your heart and your attention, or if Donald has been trying to be some other sort of king of your heart and attention.

God, I understand, might put someone like Saul into kingship, as an object lesson, as a foil to make Jesus look good. There are ones in our lives whose good example has made Jesus look good, while foils have made Jesus look good in another way. So, then . . . Donald has made Jesus look good, in one way or another; and now he is going to reap much more than he has been sowing, like we all will do >

Galatians 6:7-8

How we trust, and who we depend on will effect if we reap more and more of sharing with God in His own peace while loving any and all people. And God will manage who Americans have in office and their personal lives, according to all He knows ones have been sowing. And then there will be reaping of either enjoying and thanking God, or of complaining and accusing and blaming. I think, by the way, that Donald will publicly show which he will be reaping. Will he lead or bleed? We will see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

marc b

Nov 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario
✟18,046.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did God choose David over his other brothers (who Samuel would have anointed if God did not intervene)?

Did God choose David over Saul?

Saul was tall, handsome, had good manners and good people skills to the point he chose to please men over God. Kinda reminds you of posh elite educated dems right? God chooses the foolish of this world to shame the wise. Right now, Trump is the dumbest most foolish looking person in the eyes of the liberals in the US. But he has done more than anybody what God wants him to do for the US and Israel.

• Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They never respond.

I don't believe that God chose them, but he allow them. Obama being elected, set off Trump. Trump wanted to make America white again. It's time to start bringing all this wickedness to an end, so Trump was allowed because he has a spirit that will bring about trouble. He started trouble between nationalities. I'm not for democrats are republicans. I'm just looking on. I don't understand why evangelicals defend Trumps lying.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They never respond.

He can choose them. He can also disown them, too.

Upvote 0

Loaves and Fishes

Dec 25, 2020
canada
✟16,843.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They never respond.

God chooses leaders.Romans 13:1-2.

Upvote 0