Does God Care About Your Good Intentions?

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Many on CF seem to have the attitude that we shouldn't get bogged down in determining God's Law or will on any given matter. We should just go with the flow, and if we've had good intentions, then God will pat us on the back, and give us an attaboy.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Many on CF seem to have the attitude that we shouldn't get bogged down in determining God's Law or will on any given matter. We should just go with the flow, and if we've had good intentions, then God will pat us on the back, and give us an attaboy.

I'm not a strict word by word, verse by verse type of guy. I think that you, Jimmy know that about me already. God is not going to judge us because we missed a comma. I agree with you that we have to be careful about God's Word. However, God sees the heart, and WE are not able to judge His actions or His judgments.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When God judges, does He overlook sin if a person had, "good intentions"?
No God does not over look any sin.
The only sin he does not judge are those that Jesus has atoned for.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jimmy I think you made this thread cause of the thread about Tattoos, and our conclusion that God knows Cooldudes intention with getting a tattoo of a cross and therefore it's not going to affect his walk if he gets one. The rhythms of grace seem really difficult for you to grasp. We are free to enter in to a personal, one on one relationship where God now can tell us what he feels about every situation in real time. When the bible prohibited tattoos in the old testament they were associated with paganism and they certainly weren't trying to get crosses to show their devotion to Jesus, he hadn't even come yet.

We have the freedom to work these things out with God, we have the freedom to let HIM make us righteous in his time. You keep seeming to want everyone to go back to trying to follow every rule, commit no sin through their own efforts, and not only can it not be done paul reprimanded people for trying to bring everyone back under the law of circumcision, which is exactly what this is. It just seems like Jesus came and untied everyone and you keep trying to convince them they need to put the chains back on.

And hey, I really do love you, and I pray I never make an enemy out of you, I think you say these things because they are your true heart's conviction, I just think you're confused about how we actually walk this faith out, and it saddens me. You can be so free and happy in Jesus, he WANTS you to be, states it over and over!

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Jimmy I think you made this thread cause of the thread about Tattoos, and our conclusion that God knows Cooldudes intention with getting a tattoo of a cross and therefore it's not going to affect his walk if he gets one. The rhythms of grace seem really difficult for you to grasp. We are free to enter in to a personal, one on one relationship where God now can tell us what he feels about every situation in real time. When the bible prohibited tattoos in the old testament they were associated with paganism and they certainly weren't trying to get crosses to show their devotion to Jesus, he hadn't even come yet.

We have the freedom to work these things out with God, we have the freedom to let HIM make us righteous in his time. You keep seeming to want everyone to go back to trying to follow every rule, commit no sin through their own efforts, and not only can it not be done paul reprimanded people for trying to bring everyone back under the law of circumcision, which is exactly what this is. It just seems like Jesus came and untied everyone and you keep trying to convince them they need to put the chains back on.

And hey, I really do love you, and I pray I never make an enemy out of you, I think you say these things because they are your true heart's conviction, I just think you're confused about how we actually walk this faith out, and it saddens me. You can be so free and happy in Jesus, he WANTS you to be, states it over and over!

First, why did Christ die?

Second, God is not Jerry Garcia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Help me here folks, we got ourself a new kitten and the kittens mom followed with Him. However the kittens mom is very much in love with the neighbours tomcat. So we have decided that we should sterilise her and hope she is not pregnant. Our intention is for her not to get pregnant but if she is expecting kittens already, what should we do then. Is abortion on kittens also a sin if it is done by a veterinarian at the same time as sterilisation? Is it better to let them be born and bring them to an animal shelter? I suppose the last alternative is more humane but I also know that shelters are sick of getting more cats to feed and some might have opted for the first alternative, however the tomcat is golden coloured and the mom an angora. So the kittens could be nice if she is pregnant, what would You do, keep or abort...and the little knight inside whispers protect the ones that can not protect themselves, You are their saviour. Be Jesus to them. The cynic with horns in red pajamas says - Well I wish Jesus could turn gravel into catfood... and soon my mind is all polluted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Help me here folks, we got ourself a new kitten and the kittens mom followed with Him. However the kittens mom is very much in love with the neighbours tomcat. So we have decided that we should sterilise her and hope she is not pregnant. Our intention is for her not to get pregnant but if she is expecting kittens already, what should we do then. Is abortion on kittens also a sin if it is done by a veterinarian at the same time as sterilisation? Is it better to let them be born and bring them to an animal shelter? I suppose the last alternative is more humane but I also know that shelters are sick of getting more cats to feed and some might have opted for the first alternative, however the tomcat is golden coloured and the mom an angora. So the kittens could be nice if she is pregnant, what would You do, keep or abort.

I hate cats, so you don't want to know my answer to your question. ;)

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. Everybody has "good intentions" regarding their actions. That is, they believe that their behavior is morally correct. Even evil people like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot all had "good intentions." (Hitler believed he was removing inferior genes from the human race)

To say that only "good intentions" matters is to believe in moral relativism.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No. Everybody has "good intentions" regarding their actions. That is, they believe that their behavior is morally correct. Even evil people like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot all had "good intentions." (Hitler believed he was removing inferior genes from the human race)

To say that only "good intentions" matters is to believe in moral relativism.

I agree. Spot on.

Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did Christ die?
So that through our connection to his act of love, our thankfulness as we understand it, and our desire to respond to it, causes God to feel favor toward us and no longer keep record of our sins, this gives us the ability to go on a journey of His choosing, as we choose to stay focused on and continue meditating upong God's amazing act of Grace and self sacrifice, we then try to emulate him as best we can but because of the sacrifice we are able to do it WITH God in GOD'S timing, and to allow him to work on us directly, rather than all trying to follow rules out of our own minds. It's the freedom to stop rule keeping and just go directly to the source and ask him to MAKE you righteous as you be willing to follow his leading obediently.

I think what's important now is making sure people stay on the path, I think we need to point out when people begin to vary into a different teaching, or when they stop seeking and start just being of the world, but I think when people are seeking and we know that they are following the truth of Jesus, I think from there we can leave it in God's hands, and the freedom we get from the cross allows us to have a unique path toward righteousness. This is why I think forgiveness is one of the things Jesus won't budge on, he's saying "you can't be going on this path toward righteousness, with me covering all the shortcomings you have on the way, if you're gonna be pointing out everyone else's" I think this is a command intended to allow Christians to follow him personally, without anyone else trying to stop someone from letting God work the way he wants.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Have you come across people who are relying on God's considering "good intentions" when He judges them?
I've come across believers who think there are some unbelievers who might have a chance because they are basically good.

• Agree
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So that through our connection to his act of love, our thankfulness as we understand it, and our desire to respond to it, causes God to feel favor toward us and no longer keep record of our sins, this gives us the ability to go on a journey of His choosing, as we choose to stay focused on and continue meditating upong God's amazing act of Grace and self sacrifice, we then try to emulate him as best we can but because of the sacrifice we are able to do it WITH God in GOD'S timing, and to allow him to work on us directly, rather than all trying to follow rules out of our own minds. It's the freedom to stop rule keeping and just go directly to the source and ask him to MAKE you righteous as you be willing to follow his leading obediently.

I think what's important now is making sure people stay on the path, I think we need to point out when people begin to vary into a different teaching, or when they stop seeking and start just being of the world, but I think when people are seeking and we know that they are following the truth of Jesus, I think from there we can leave it in God's hands, and the freedom we get from the cross allows us to have a unique path toward righteousness. This is why I think forgiveness is one of the things Jesus won't budge on, he's saying "you can't be going on this path toward righteousness, with me covering all the shortcomings you have on the way, if you're gonna be pointing out everyone else's" I think this is a command intended to allow Christians to follow him personally, without anyone else trying to stop someone from letting God work the way he wants.

Thanks. I was seeking a simple and pithy answer, like, "He died for sin/sinners". Would you generally agree with that statement?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've come across believers who think there are some unbelievers who might have a chance because they are basically good.

Yes. That's a common one. People kid themselves into thinking that evil actions proceed from good people.

Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I was seeking a simple and pity answer, like, "He died for sin/sinners". Would you generally agree with that statement?
"So that through our connection to his act of love, our thankfulness as we understand it, and our desire to respond to it, causes God to feel favor toward us and no longer keep record of our sins"

That was the first thing I said in my response. Sorry it wasn't "simple and pity" enough for you.

Upvote 0