Does God call and then give us a choice to respond to his call?

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,424.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gill tends towards hyper-Calvinism. Seems that you are, too.

Silly Forum Runner. It's magically delicious.

I dont really understand the big difference between Calvinism vs hyper-Calvinism when they both teach that man has no choice in the matter when it comes to his/her salvation.

Both teach that God saves whoever he wants to save so whats the difference?

Reactions: student ad x
Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a hyper Calvinist (perhaps nearing -- then again, what is considered hyper Calvinism now was considered Calvinism 200 years ago, in the same sense, Arminianism now, would probably be nearer to todays Calvinism pre-300 years ago), but nor am I saved by faith. I am saved through faith by grace. Big difference. Perhaps the semantics in my statements are misunderstood.

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I dont really understand the big difference between Calvinism vs hyper-Calvinism when they both teach that man has no choice in the matter when it comes to his/her salvation.

Both teach that God saves whoever he wants to save so whats the difference?

I'll post this which was once up, which for clarification, I'd be about the same place as Gill on this chart, if it is indeed accurate:
[edit]
http://www.christianforums.com/t7552478/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,424.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hyper Calvinism hasn't changed.
smiley_emoticons_neutral.gif

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hyper Calvinism hasn't changed.
smiley_emoticons_neutral.gif

But in the mind's of others, it has -- assuming this was in reference to me. What I mean is, though the beliefs of hyper Calvinism have not necessarily changed, a High Calvinist (as myself) would be considered a Hyper Calvinist (which is clearly the case in this thread) today by most, and considered an antinomian heretic (which hasn't been mentioned yet).

When I'm speaking of things changing, I do not mean the beliefs themselves, but people's perception and understanding of them. I.E. Today's Arminian is more of libertarian freewill believer (as that other thread states), but Arminius beliefs were not in libertarian freewill, but a freed will from God through Christ. Arminius wouldn't call todays Arminians, Arminians :)

And I read some of that book you posted, interesting. About 1/3 done :]

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hyper Calvinism hasn't changed brother...........see Michael Haykin, Curt Daniel & Peter Toon :)

As I tell my niece and nephew, Buddysocks is different........ but he is loyal, and like his 3 footed companion...... they love their dad. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
John Gill's congregation grew more than sevenfold due to his "hypercalvinism", while arminiancalvinists like Fuller's brand of particular baptist church stagnated from legalism. A moderate calvinist would have been considered a flaming freewiller 300 years ago.

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hyper Calvinism hasn't changed brother...........see Michael Haykin, Curt Daniel & Peter Toon :)

Curt Daniel deliberately misrepresented Gill. I read Gill myself and found out otherwise. I dont trust Daniels as far as i could throw him.

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Daniel may have, Toon did not misrepresent hyper calvinism, nor Haykin, IMHO.

Brother i said Daniels deliberately misrepresented Gill and if Toon's is like Daniels, well what can i say.

I read Gill myself. I own everything he wrote including his sermons. If contending for a theology of a work of the Holy Spirit which results in a personal, experiential knowledge of the truth, and its sanctifying effects in the heart and life is hypercalvinism i'm guilty. If contending for God's love for His elect before the world's were made is hypercalvinism im guilty. If contending that not the law of sinai the killing letter, but the law of the gospel, the law of faith, the law of Christ, the law of liberty is the believers rule of life im guilty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Daniel may have, Toon did not misrepresent hyper calvinism, nor Haykin, IMHO.

A decent review of Gill is by Tom Nettles in By His Grace For His Glory. The others are shameful.

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not going to derail this thread any more than has been. I've read Nettles....... I'll leave it at that.
smile.gif
Everyone lurking or wondering what the heck is going on can read about the history of the Seperatists/Baptists/non-Conforminsts and why doctrine originated to refute this and that for themselves.

humbly
SAX

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Getting back to the subject at hand, we are saved by grace through faith. We are justified by faith. That's what Scripture affirms. We are justified by faith. That is is means God uses to justify us. But justification, while the heart if the Gospel, isn't the whole enchilada. So to say that justification IS salvation is to muddy things up.

Forum Runner. It's magically delicious.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Getting back to the subject at hand, we are saved by grace through faith. We are justified by faith. That's what Scripture affirms. We are justified by faith. That is is means God uses to justify us. But justification, while the heart if the Gospel, isn't the whole enchilada. So to say that justification IS salvation is to muddy things up.

Forum Runner. It's magically delicious.

I beg to differ.

I can name one member of the Baptist area who says differently.

For example:

“faith without works is useless.” It is useless both for one’s justification and one’s salvation!

http://www.christianforums.com/t7273943-6/

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Gal 2:16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

I'm cookoo for Forum Runner.

Upvote 0