Does Dispensationalism reject all Calvinism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm looking into dispensationalism and covenant theology, and it seems that dispensationalists tend to reject Calvinism, but dispensationalists also believe that Jews (the remnant that will ensue) are still God's chosen, but the thing is, I'm looking at passages like Deuteronomy 7:6 and it seems clear that God chose the Jews before the Jews chose God. That looks like a Calvinist position to me - I am confused.

This is neither a pro-or anti-disp post, I haven't come to a conclusion about either - on one day, dispensationalism looks more convincing, on another day covenant theology does...

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Im
I'm looking into dispensationalism and covenant theology, and it seems that dispensationalists tend to reject Calvinism, but dispensationalists also believe that Jews (the remnant that will ensue) are still God's chosen, but the thing is, I'm looking at passages like Deuteronomy 7:6 and it seems clear that God chose the Jews before the Jews chose God. That looks like a Calvinist position to me - I am confused.

This is neither a pro-or anti-disp post, I haven't come to a conclusion about either - on one day, dispensationalism looks more convincing, on another day covenant theology does...

I'm not sure if your question is about dispensationalism or Calvinism. Or something else.

But if it helps, you mention that God choosing the Jews sounds like Calvinism, but remember that God later rejected them and swore to destroy them all and build his people from the descendants of Moses. At the prayer of Moses, God changed His mind and let them live.

The strict predestination of Calvinism contradicts the bible. So don't let it hinder your studies.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is a strong argument against Calvinism's Unconditional Election and Irresistible Grace.

I think of it as the single greatest theological embarrassment of all time.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It depends. There are some who are Calvinist with regards to Soteriology yet have an eschatology of literal futurism.

There are Arminians with regards to Soteriology yet have an eschatology of literal futurism.

Now the Reformers were mainly a-millennial in outlook.

I think your OP is going to get interesting responses because of the distinction I made between the doctrine of salvation and theories of eschatology.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do know one preacher who is a staunch Dispensationalist whom does reject all Calvinist doctrine.
Now I'm confused....
Pentecostals are Dispensationalist. Pentecostals are as far from Calvinist as you can get and be a Christian.

Dispensationalism, as a system, results in a premillennial interpretation of Christ’s second coming and usually a pretribulational interpretation of the rapture. To summarize, dispensationalism is a theological system that emphasizes the literal interpretation of Bible prophecy, recognizes a distinction between Israel and the Church, and organizes the Bible into different dispensations or administrations.
https://www.gotquestions.org/dispensationalism.html

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im

I'm not sure if your question is about dispensationalism or Calvinism. Or something else.

But if it helps, you mention that God choosing the Jews sounds like Calvinism, but remember that God later rejected them and swore to destroy them all and build his people from the descendants of Moses. At the prayer of Moses, God changed His mind and let them live.

The strict predestination of Calvinism contradicts the bible. So don't let it hinder your studies.
What does strict predestination mean to you?

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your responses thus far.

I'm starting to think that I shouldn't make threads about these things because I'm not done reading the Bible and I should be more equipped before coming on here and feeling like a buffoon. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Pentecostals are Dispensationalist. Pentecostals are as far from Calvinist as you can get and be a Christian.

Well this is something I just learned. He's more of a Baptist though.

I'm not done reading the Bible and I should be more equipped before coming on here and feeling like a buffoon.

Don't be so hard on yourself, my friend. Many Christians have not fully read the Bible, cover-to-cover.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now I'm confused....

Dispensationalism, as a system, results in a premillennial interpretation of Christ’s second coming and usually a pretribulational interpretation of the rapture. To summarize, dispensationalism is a theological system that emphasizes the literal interpretation of Bible prophecy, recognizes a distinction between Israel and the Church, and organizes the Bible into different dispensations or administrations.
https://www.gotquestions.org/dispensationalism.html
It depends on the Pentecostal. Just ask them. :)

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My stuff is in red lol.

I've always seen Pentecostals/Charismatics have a zealous support for Israel, so it doesn't surprise me that they're Dispensationalists.

Don't be so hard on yourself, my friend. Many Christians have not fully read the Bible, cover-to-cover.

Thank you :)

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your responses thus far.

I'm starting to think that I shouldn't make threads about these things because I'm not done reading the Bible and I should be more equipped before coming on here and feeling like a buffoon. :(
That’s great advice right there. Stay buried in the Holy Scriptures. Don’t worry about all these future theories and focus on the Promises of God. You will have true Joy from God.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptists are split on the Calvinist Arminian divide. They are also divided futurists. Meaning some are Dispensational futurists and some are historic futurists.

• Informative
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am a Dispensationalist myself. I believe God is not done with his chosen people just yet. The day of reckoning will come when He will no longer permit His Jewish nation to not recognize Him as their God. That is end-times dispensationalism for you.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My stuff is in red lol.
Yeah don’t be hard on yourself. Look how many of us are discussing your topic! Maybe this could be a good one where people jettison their prior misunderstandings and actual learn.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What does strict predestination mean to you?

It is the notion that all individuals are predetermined to either salvation or damnation from the beginning of time.

There are other teachings of Calvinism that are just as wrong.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is the notion that all individuals are predetermined to either salvation or damnation from the beginning of time.

There are other teachings of Calvinism that are just as wrong.
Well I’ll just have to reject your unfounded assertions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.