Does Dispensationalism reject all Calvinism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Thank you for your responses thus far.

I'm starting to think that I shouldn't make threads about these things because I'm not done reading the Bible and I should be more equipped before coming on here and feeling like a buffoon.
Well, there may be some truth in what you say here. Starting threads like this on open forums to the whole world (which is mostly opposed to truth) will probably not improve your understanding (other than to learn not to trust men, the world, or the flesh) , and does cause quarrels and contentions among others.(apparently/ obviously)

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking into dispensationalism and covenant theology, and it seems that dispensationalists tend to reject Calvinism, but dispensationalists also believe that Jews (the remnant that will ensue) are still God's chosen, but the thing is, I'm looking at passages like Deuteronomy 7:6 and it seems clear that God chose the Jews before the Jews chose God. That looks like a Calvinist position to me - I am confused.

This is neither a pro-or anti-disp post, I haven't come to a conclusion about either - on one day, dispensationalism looks more convincing, on another day covenant theology does...
Hi the dispensational idea is free will exists for us and our choices are valid and that the all knowing aspect of God understood our choices before we made them. The linking of the predestination of Israel for a prophetic end or the replacement of Israel with the church as the nations of God is a tough debate. It is good you have not decided yet in that you can choose what lenses you choose to look at the scripture with and your method of hermaneutics will determine your eschatology. Dispensational eschatology takes a literal approach to the prophecy and cuts out what was said and analyzes it and expects it to happen accordingly. The replacement theology of transferring the covenant from Israel to the church is oft debated and it requires looking at some scriptures quite literally and others as allegorical to make the case. I know that as you look Gods word will not be in contradiction so perhaps find a thread that has this as the main topic and look for yourself to see what the arguments are. here is a link to one question about are the two witnesses prophesying now? https://www.christianforums.com/thr...ing-in-jerusalem.8076503/page-6#post-73047139
this thread is classic in that dispensational view is this is a 42 literal months that they prophecy and they are killed and raised up after 3 days while they oppose the anitchrist. The replacement guys hold to these two witnesses are the old and new testament and make a case for that. I disagree strongly with that but recognize that the new covenant is in full force and we and Jews have one method to be saved. I see the promises to Israel as standing and going to be literally fulfilled and often point to the 2nd coming described in Zech 14. This chapter shows Jesus coming with his saints and saving Israel while jerusalem is being over run. The Mt of Olive splits in two and a new river flows year round. It says the LORD is king over all the earth. To me I see this as future and literal. It says all the nations from then on must come and keep the feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem. or they will get no rain. I see this as the end of the tribulation and beginning of the millennium as this shows a continuation of events after the LORD returns. They have scriptural responses for this too. At any rate lets all love the LORD and one another even if we disagree.

• Informative
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My assertions are not "unfounded".
They are because the Holy Scriptures teach God chooses. Don’t ask me how but alas that is what is revealed.

Now I would agree there are elements out there which put a lot of stock in trying to explain details, but they fail to understand we don’t have the Understanding of God. Aka there will be paradoxes when various theologies are compared.

However the Bible does teach God chooses according to His Will, Purpose and for His Glory.

A cursory glance shows us this:

(Ephesians 1:5-6; Acts 13:48; Revelation 17:8), (John 10:26; 12:37-40; Romans 9:11-18; 1 Peter 2:7-8).

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, there may be some truth in what you say here. Starting threads like this on open forums to the whole world (which is mostly opposed to truth) will probably not improve your understanding (other than to learn not to trust men, the world, or the flesh) , and does cause quarrels and contentions among others.(apparently/ obviously)
You are waxing poetic tonight. :). Good post.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
well - it's not as if that doesn't happen around here.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Right! It is quite common on all forums I know of. (that are open to the world / not restricted to Ekklesia)
But that is the same reason not to expect to learn from such forums with mostly worldly posters without restriction (practically). Don't trust forums.
well - it's not as if that doesn't happen around here.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to ask a mod to close this thread. I don't want to cause problems. I do hope that my post was by and large welcome, even if it had an unintended unpleasant effect on people.

Mod, whoever you are, please close my thread. I am open to it being reopened (lol that was redundant there) but I am also going to get confused in the process about everything.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"Suffering for Jesus" is a daily part of life for all Ekklesia, we embrace suffering as Jesus said to "Do not run from suffering, rather embrace it" ......

Our knowledge and wisdom comes from the Father in heaven as we trust Him and rely on Him. (whatever is good comes from Him, always)
Jesus Faithfulness is completely perfect, and He always Guards His Word to keep His Promises to all of us who trust Him.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to ask a mod to close this thread. I don't want to cause problems. I do hope that my post was by and large welcome, even if it had an unintended unpleasant effect on people.

Mod, whoever you are, please close my thread. I am open to it being reopened (lol that was redundant there) but I am also going to get confused in the process about everything.
I think you have to PM a Mod.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.