Does Colossians 2:16 refer to weekly Sabbaths?

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Acts 17:11 the non-Christians "studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by the Apostle Paul were so". We call it "sola scriptura" testing.

It is gentiles requesting "more gospel preaching" on "the next Sabbath" in Acts 13.

Paul leaves Timothy in the gentile church of Ephesus according to 1 Timothy 1 and in 2 Tim 3:16 Paul tells Timothy that his doctrine should come from "making stuff up"?? or "from scripture"? which is it in 2Tim 3:16. (I'll give you 3 guesses)

In the NT - the evangelism of Christians proceeds 'sola scriptura' perhaps you've heard of it.

They called it "scripture" see 2 Tim 3:16... See Gal 4:27 to find out how gentile churches were instructed from scripture -- "It is written" quotes "scripture".
Yet the folk in the first century were not educated, they were taught by preachers who traveled through their towns.

Most people these days would struggle to read and understand the scripture. Your claiming that folk two thousand years ago read the O.T. and that they understood the O.T.

Even Peter said Paul's letters were hard to understand. The Pharisees accused Peter and John of being uneducated and they were uneducated.

There were no books, magazines, or newspapers in the first century. Secondary school education did not occur until after the first world war. Your claiming that common folk could read and write back in the first century?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yet the folk in the first century were not educated, they were taught by preachers who traveled through their towns.

They were told to study the scriptures.

Timothy was told that as a small child he had been taught the scriptures. And NOT by a traveling preacher --

2 Tim 3: 15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Each time you "quote you" as your inspired source, the actual Bible refutes the story.

Most people these days would struggle to read and understand the scripture. Your claiming that folk two thousand years ago read the O.T. and that they understood the O.T.

We do get that from our Catholic friends a lot these days... try reading the Bible instead.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They were told to study the scriptures.

Timothy was told that as a small child he had been taught the scriptures. And NOT by a traveling preacher --

2 Tim 3: 15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Each time you "quote you" as your inspired source, the actual Bible refutes the story.

We do get that from our Catholic friends a lot these days... try reading the Bible instead.
Timothy was one of the exceptions, Timothy knew the scripture from childhood. Timothy was a Jew and raised in the scripture. But we are not talking about Timothy or Paul, we never were discussing these two.

We are talking about the Gentile churches, we are discussing whether anyone in those Gentile cities knew the O.T. scripture.

We noted that Peter and John were uneducated.

We know that communication was verbal in the first century. We know education to a secondary level was extremely rare.

Stay on topic Bob.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Timothy was one of the exceptions,

You quote to make stuff up - then you are shown that a Bible text does not support your speculations - and you dismiss the Bible as 'one-off' going back to quoting you some more.

How "instructive" for the unbiased Bible student.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We are talking about the Gentile churches, we are discussing whether anyone in those Gentile cities knew the O.T. scripture. .

And I just showed you examples of gentile churches have Bible quotes given to them as if they knew what the Bible is.

The point remains.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And I just showed you examples of gentile churches have Bible quotes given to them as if they knew what the Bible is.

The point remains.
They were given quotes from the scripture, i.e., the O.T, because they did not know the O.T.

More to the point Bob, the N.T. letters contain many quotes from the prophets and the fulfillment of those quotes by Jesus.

I still do not believe that you think people in the first century Roman world could read and write.
You are living in a nineteenth century thought bubble.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You quote to make stuff up - then you are shown that a Bible text does not support your speculations - and you dismiss the Bible as 'one-off' going back to quoting you some more.

How "instructive" for the unbiased Bible student.
Your claiming the Roman world was highly educated, they had the whole Bible sitting in front of them. Even the plough boy was an expert in all the scripture.

Even today the vast bulk of Christians would rarely read the Old Testament, let alone read and understand the prophets.

Your not connected to the real world Bob.

Peter and John were uneducated, not all the apostles could read and write.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They were given quotes from the scripture, i.e., the O.T, because they did not know the O.T.

Your imagination told you that??

By contrast -- what does the Bible tell us

"they studied the scriptures daily TO SEE IF those things spoken to them by Paul - WERE SO" Acts 17:11.

More Bible... less making stuff up.

More to the point Bob, the N.T. letters contain many quotes from the prophets

True - and in Eph 6:2 Paul appeals to scripture saying that his command is all the more to be accepted because of what they already know scripture says on that point.

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), 3 so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.

Paul is not merely saying "do this -- because I say so" and not just "DO this for the scripture says to do it" but the DETAIL of "IT is the FIRST commandment WITH a promise" in that unit of TEN - in the OT. The very "detail" you deny that they could possibly know.

How sad.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

"they studied the scriptures daily TO SEE IF those things spoken to them by Paul - WERE SO" Acts 17:11.

True - and in Eph 6:2 Paul appeals to scripture saying that his command is all the more to be accepted because of what they already know scripture says on that point.

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), 3 so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.

Paul is not merely saying "do this -- because I say so" and not just "DO this for the scripture says to do it" but the DETAIL of "IT is the FIRST commandment WITH a promise" in that unit of TEN - in the OT. The very "detail" you deny that they could possibly know.

How sad.

I agree you need to be more attentive when reading the scripture and stop repetitive quoting the same verse, over and over again.

Sometimes I think you may know only a handful of verses in the scripture, since you have quoted Ephesians 6:2 one thousand times to no avail.

Your a man desperate to see the ten commandments in Paul's letters.

We will quote a bit more of the scripture instead of your favorite verse. You know how misleading a single verse can be at times.

Ephesians 6:2-4
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth. Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Children obey your parents for that is right, Bob. Everyone knows whether they are Christian or not, that children need to obey their parents. The section in brackets is not in some manuscripts so I usually exclude it. This instruction says nothing about eternal life, this is so they can have a long life on earth.

Paul did not say obey the ten commandments Bob. It can even be argued that Paul is not even teaching the ten commandments. Paul is merely using different points in the law to support the teaching.

How you wish that Paul would have said, obey the Sabbath. You can easily see in these letters to the Gentile churches the absence of the law.

I am puzzled as to your comprehension of the the N.T letters, letters to Gentile churches are missing the law.

By the way there was one more point.

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

How important was that commandment!

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

More to the point Bob, the N.T. letters contain many quotes from the prophets

How sad.

I agree you need to be more attentive when reading the scripture and stop repetitive quoting the same verse, over and over again.

Your creative writing about "not being able to read" is much more repetitive than is preferred - your complaint is that scripture gets posted that you want to ignore - and it does not go away once ignored.

Sorry but irrefutable texts do not "vanish" each time you ignore them. (though some had hoped that such a thing would work).

Sometimes I think you may know only a handful of verses in the scripture, since you have quoted Ephesians 6:2 one thousand times to no avail.

While it is true you have ignored Eph 6:2 as much as it has been posted - it is not true that I get no responses from other here that actual do read scripture - including Eph 6:2.

Did you "imagine" that as long as you ignore Eph 6:2 - "so will everyone else"?? Shall we have a thread topic devoted to your idea?

I think it would be instructive for everyone.

Or you may wish to actually look at it.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We will quote a bit more of the scripture ...
Ephesians 6:2-4 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth. Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

If I am not mistaken - Eph 6:2 has been given to you about a zillion times and now... after all these years you are finally willing to "look"?? I applaud that change! WoW - thanks and well done!

I thought we might have to wait at least another year. but I am certainly not complaining. Thanks for finally looking.

Children obey your parents for that is right, Bob. Everyone knows whether they are Christian or not, that children need to obey their parents.

How "insightful" - thanks! Nice going!

Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise)

"First commandment where"?? I think you saw that follow up from me on this text - for the past few years. What was your answer again? "First commandment where"?

was it... <crickets...>??

The section in brackets is not in some manuscripts so I usually exclude it.

Ahh we finally have your "answer" for that text!! you "ignore it". (Did not have to wait too many years for it either... finally it is here)

So then "that's your answer"? you have deleted it from scripture?
How "instructive" for the unbiased objective reader..

This instruction says nothing about eternal life,

notice what Christ said about it - while we are not ignoring scripture.

Matt 19
16 And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” 17 And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19 Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Paul did not say obey the ten commandments Bob. It can even be argued that Paul is not even teaching the ten commandments.

Well you did say you are choosing to ignore scripture where it does not suit your preference.

Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise)
"First commandment where"??
The section in brackets is not in some manuscripts so I usually exclude it.

Thank God - actual Bible scholars are not taking the "delete the text" axe to Paul's writing -- Ephesians 6:2 - HONOR YOUR FATHER... - Verse-by-Verse Commentary

For those "not ignoring scripture" -- the answer to that question is "first commandment in the TEN commandments" WITH a promise. That is the ONLY unit of LAW known to Paul's readers where it could be said that the 5th commandment "is the FIRST commandment WITH a promise".

Paul COULD have said

"Honor your parents because I say so and I am an Apostle" -- He did not say that.

Much-imagining ways to "delete scripture" and try to get Paul to say it - are not as compelling as some folks imagine to themselves.

But maybe I am being too hasty -- maybe we need to have more people comment on this idea of ignoring scripture any time it does not suit someone's preference.

Will take a look at that in a minute.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How sad.

Your creative writing about "not being able to read" is much more repetitive than is preferred - your complaint is that scripture gets posted that you want to ignore - and it does not go away once ignored.

Sorry but irrefutable texts do not "vanish" each time you ignore them. (though some had hoped that such a thing would work).

While it is true you have ignored Eph 6:2 as much as it has been posted - it is not true that I get no responses from other here that actual do read scripture - including Eph 6:2.

Did you "imagine" that as long as you ignore Eph 6:2 - "so will everyone else"?? Shall we have a thread topic devoted to your idea?

I think it would be instructive for everyone.

Or you may wish to actually look at it.
It's people like you that make reaching people for Jesus very difficult. Any one can see the deceit.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It's people like you that make reaching people for Jesus very difficult. Any one can see your deceit.

Ad hominem noted... Is it your desire to post with such transparency as that so as to make sure we can all see what you are doing?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God" where those commandments include the TEN where we find that "the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 is the 5th commandment.

No wonder "ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration from God AND is to be used for doctrine, correction.." 2 Tim 3:16

1 Cor 2
9 but just as it is written,
“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the heart of man,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.
10 For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God.

1 Cor 2
15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
16 For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him?
But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Cor 3 19: For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God. For it is written,
He is the one who catches the wise in their craftiness”;
20 and again,
“The Lord knows the reasonings of the wise, that they are useless.”​

No wonder Christ hammers the man-made-traditions of the magisterium of his day "Sola Scriptura" in Mark 7:6-13.

Mark 7:
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

When engaged in nothing more than "creative writing" we have
They were given quotes from the scripture, i.e., the O.T, because they did not know the O.T. .

By contrast - the actual Bible says

Gal 1:6-9
6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we (Apostles), or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

The scriptures - much preferred to just making-stuff-up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0